Wiki Posts
Search

IHG deducted 50k points with no warning

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2018, 1:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP [121 segments in 2021] - IHG Spire [170 nights in 2021]
IHG deducted 50k points with no warning

IHG just deducted 50k points from me because they claim I was erroneously given 25k points on two separate occasions TWO YEARS ago. I've been Spire since 2016 and this sucks... They refuse to give me proof of these erroneous deposits and the overseas costumer service is zero help.

Who can I contact about this that can possibly help me out?

Thanks!
Old Jan 17, 2018, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
For better or worse, most threads of this type of Flyertalk involve the OP being economical with the truth about their activities. IHG - or any other hotel chain or airline for that matter - doesn't going around closing accounts or deducting miles/points without a very good reason.

If you truly never used a bonus code you weren't targeted for, booked a Cash + Points then cancelled it immediately, had an award stay where the points weren't actually deducted due to a glitch, or any other number of not quite 100% kosher activities (whether your doing or not), then eventually you'll find an agent to give you your 50K points back.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by KmKx151
IHG just deducted 50k points from me because they claim I was erroneously given 25k points on two separate occasions TWO YEARS ago. I've been Spire since 2016 and this sucks... They refuse to give me proof of these erroneous deposits and the overseas costumer service is zero help.

Who can I contact about this that can possibly help me out?

Thanks!
And? Were you given 25k points on two separate occasions TWO YEARS ago? I would remember :-)
Old Jan 18, 2018, 1:47 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Sounds to me like you know you got something you shouldn't have, and want to play innocent until proven guilty.

Be glad they didn't close your account completely. That has happened quite a bit.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Aren’t we past this “using a code you weren’t entitled to” business? That was a few years ago, before the regular Accelerate promotions came into being. While I admit, no question, it wasn’t exactly right or ethical to use those codes, IHG weren’t exactly a bunch of angels in how they handled it either. I feel, in a way, their Accelerate promotions are their way of making up for what happened, but I’m probably wrong. All they need to do now is sort out their IT and security and we’ll all be happy.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by craigthemif
If you truly never used a bonus code you weren't targeted for, booked a Cash + Points then cancelled it immediately
No action would be taken against someone booking a Points and Cash and cancelling, and I doubt you would find anything in the T&C prohibiting it.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 5:04 pm

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by KmKx151
!
Did you get any extra 25,000 deposits?
Did you get any extra points when you became Spire?
Old Jan 18, 2018, 11:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP [121 segments in 2021] - IHG Spire [170 nights in 2021]
The 25k points from Spire are accounted for. Between the accelerate offers, buying points and staying 130-something nights in 2016, I did not notice any extra 25k glitched points. I just haven't been able to get a hold of someone that can mail me a statement or give me specifics (online I can only go back 1 year) so I reached out here in case someone had a specific contact so I can resolve this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by clubman
No action would be taken against someone booking a Points and Cash and cancelling, and I doubt you would find anything in the T&C prohibiting it.
Perhaps, but book the cheapest P+C hotel 20 times for immediate cancellation, and you might end up with a flag on your account, that could lead somebody at IHG to take a closer look to see what else you've been up to...
Old Jan 19, 2018, 7:05 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
How much far back you can go back in account log history, again?
Old Jan 20, 2018, 9:00 am

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Sorry, what exactly happens when one does this? I was about to make a booking. If something happens with the trip I would want to know I can cancel without issue. What issue can there be? (And no, I don't book and cancel to try to gain something.)
Old Jan 21, 2018, 6:44 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
You didn't see the "catch all" clause?

• Our right to cancel your membership, and to revoke or adjust Point deposits. SCH has the right to cancel any individual’s Program membership, and to revoke any and all unredeemed Points and/or benefits or rewards collected, for reasons that include, but are not limited to:
...10. Member taking any other action or engaging in any other activities that are to the detriment of the Program, SCH, or an IHG branded hotel; all as may be determined by SCH in its sole discretion.
Using this clause they could even claim that always booking the lowest rate for the cheapest room and expecting to be upgraded as a Spire member is "to the detriment of the Program...". It would certainly be easy to classify "points fabrication" as such.

HTB.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 7:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Booking a room which you do not intend to use is fraud. The question for any business is weeding out the fraudsters from those who booked and cancelled, as many do. One of the ways is to look at patterns. People who do this too often and on the same time-frames are likely fraudsters.

The entire purpose of rewards programs is to build future business with customers one wants to keep. Why would any business want to keep as a customer someone who causes inventory spoilage and other harm?
Old Jan 21, 2018, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
And? Were you given 25k points on two separate occasions TWO YEARS ago? I would remember :-)
I would not. I do not keep track of my IHG points for two reasons. 1) The Accelerate offers are painful so I may or may not actually accomplish enough to trigger the bonus, and 2) Their promos seem not to post sometimes and their customer service center in the Philippines just causes me more grief so it is worth the diminished stress in life just not really keeping track of my points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.