Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Brand standard for Lounges at Intercontinental Hotels?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2018, 6:33 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by KathyMarie
Thanks scubaccr and markis10!

This is my first time at an IC - let alone with Club access - so not sure what to expect. I am travelling solo but meeting a friend while I am in town - would I be allowed to take her into the lounge do you think?
We're going to the opera and pre-show drinks would be the perfect start to the evening.
IC hotels fall into 2x policies over this. Sorry I don't know which way Sydney falls.

ie Whilst Club access for a room is always for two ppn (if 3rd person in room a supplement is always asked for) , some IC's only allow Lounge (+ associated foc breakfast) access to a fellow hotel guest (ie a friend/colleague from another room) staying in the IC hotel, whilst other IC's allow a non-Guest to be your 2nd person in the lounge.

However very hard to police policy by Lounge staff, and if lounge staff ask for room number then just say your guest sharing your room. IC Sydney staff will wander round the lounge and ask for your room number at breakfast and evening cocktail hours. If not using share my room trick, in theory you can take a different guest to lounge each day. (eg you can't take two different friends in for 1hour each for the drinks/canapes slot)

Also fyi IC Sydney Lounge area after 6-8pm (i think it is) cocktail/canapes hours, open the lounge to all Guests as Lounge is then selling drinks to all.
KathyMarie likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 7:08 pm

Programs: most
Say a brand direction

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Is there a brand standard for lounges at Intercontinental hotels? What are the food offerings across the day? I know there is extensive difference between what Ritz Carlton offers (multiple food offerings across the day including lunch) and what is offered by Marriott/Starwood/Hyatt/Hilton (breakfast and early evening snacks). I am wondering where Intercontinental falls. I am looking at the Intercontinental Sofia which has not yet opened. How much additional would you pay (for 2) in order to have lounge access?
i have found all Clubs stayed at are of a high standard. As to how much I would pay, that’s a retrospective thing and often also depends on what your looking for ( at the time)
eg most recent stay at Robertson Quay SIN was worth the +120, table service, vintage French shampoo, vast area of cocktails, 10000 points for a room compromise, a hotel striving to excell in a big market ( note room size was small, quite unusual)
Amstel AMS is mind blowing by virtue of its locale - booked a non club, but paid around €90 for something called a”club experience” high tea and all the old world refinement was worth it, along with all of the gym/pool/sauna access ( haven’t been able to come across “ club experience “ again

So, if you love vintage French Champagne and so does the wife, you could pretty much cover the cost of a club room

if you prefer solitude, you may not always get what you want

I believe they are all pretty much different ( there are cultural and culture differences) there are the additional services that come with the club ( thing Amstel)

The there are the unforgettable, magic experiences - like my wife asking a fellow guest, if she knew how to get from a to b via the train, to which the relply was, a rather shocked, “ oh no, my dear, my driver takes care of that” - no you won’t get that at the buffet breakfast on leave 1
Old Jan 17, 2018, 3:03 am

Programs: BAEC, IHG Plat
Thanks, everyone. Very helpful!
Old Jan 17, 2018, 4:45 am

Programs: IHG
"vintage French shampoo"

Didn't try this, but will be sure to next time..!
Unterwegs and perthite like this.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 2:25 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
In my experience it's pretty all over the place. For example, the IC Bucharest had a full selection of liquor, beer and wine while the IC Istanbul had only beer and wine. Hours tend to vary wildly too on when there's food vs. just soft drinks etc.

As for what I'd pay, I won't pay more than $40 a day. I use the lounge for breakfast, cocktails and dessert. And to me that's not worth more than $40 over the typical room rate.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 7:54 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist Marriott Gold AA EXP
Originally Posted by Cielito_
It depends on the property.
In the beginning of 2017 IHG decided to standardise the offerings, in some properties (mostly in IHG-managed properties) the quality of the products has improved noticeably and the quantity has deteriorated significantly.
At Intercontinental Berlin you can not saturate rudimentary, you get only some cold and warm canapés in the evening (5pm-8pm). Open bar closed at 8pm. 110EUR (for 2), or 88 (20% rebate) as Ambassador-member. Zero choice regarding to food in the "evening", no food after 8pm.
However other properties like IC Frankfurt doesn't care much about the standardisation and just ignore the ne standard: food and drinks all day long, 50EUR for 1 person, every additional person 20EUR.
What do you mean by 110 EUR? Is the Club a separate surcharge instead of being included with Club level room types or automatic benefit based on status?
Old Jan 22, 2018, 9:07 am

110€ without Ambassador Status for club-access when not booked a club room.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 9:35 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist Marriott Gold AA EXP
110€ without Ambassador Status for club-access when not booked a club room.
That's pricey. Why not just book Club level? I've seen few Hiltons/Marriotts where a Club King room is even $60-75 more than a standard King.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 2:51 am

Programs: BAEC, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bbriscoe34
That's pricey. Why not just book Club level? I've seen few Hiltons/Marriotts where a Club King room is even $60-75 more than a standard King.

Club King room rates can be considerably more expensive than standard room rates at IC - $130 per night in Sydney, for the dates I'm there.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 4:37 am

Originally Posted by bbriscoe34
Because the difference between booking club superior and booking superior is exactly 110EUR, the charge for club access. For non-ambassador there is no difference regarding to the paid amount. That depends on the property of course. (comparison based on best flexible rate)

As Ambassador it could make more sense paying the charge and ask for club level room (upon availability) because there is a 20% discount (88EUR for club access).

In my opinion the club access (in Berlin) is only worth it if you want to have a fancy weekend with your partner + you have no intolerances + no need to consider religious restrictions + you are going to eat outside anyway and just want a light pre-dinner + you are not picky and like everything that could be served.
Before launching the new standards in 2017 I regularly booked club access, because there was a good food selection and considering the fact most of the time I was traveling alone I didn't want to sit alone in a restaurant and was happy with the lounge offer. The fact, they are offering a bog-standard champagne now, is not interesting for me. So I stopped booking club access in 2017.

E//: And yes, it is very price especially for a cheap town like Berlin. Difference for club room in Düsseldorf: 69EUR; club charge in Frankfurt for 2pax: 70EUR. In both ICs you can have a full dinner. (regardless of status, based on best flexible rate. comparing non flex rates results in 49EUR difference in Düsseldorf.)

Last edited by Cielito_; Jan 25, 2018 at 3:25 pm
Old Jan 25, 2018, 2:32 pm

Programs: IC Amb.,FB,Hertz,Sixt
I am most unlikely to book just Club access, I book the Club where there is a difference in rooms. In Berlin the 8th floor is quite different to the rest of the hotel and to be honest I prefer the new offerings. I am happy to have some canapes and nice cheeses and then go out to eat or get room service. They will deliver to the lounge if you don't have a table or want to eat in your room
Old Jan 28, 2018, 9:18 pm

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
There is a minimum standard that I saw somewhere -- it includes 4 warm snacks/canapes; not sure of the other details. Since the imposition of standards, I've definitely seen the quantity go down.

There are some where the food is enough for a meal, but others where it is really more "happy hour" hors d'oeuvres and you go hungry.

Also be careful about hours. At the IC Lisbon, the HH ends at 7pm and they close it down at 7:01. On the other hand the IC Frankfurt closes at 9pm, and I could linger until at least 9:30

Breakfast is usually very good. In some hotels where the lounge can't handle everyone, you can use the hotel restaurant. Places like Singapore, ANA Tokyo, Madrid. But as I found out in the IC Madrid if you checked in as one person, you can bring a second guest to the lounge but not to the hotel restaurant.

I've never had a problem bringing my one guest, if they are not staying at the hotel.
However at the IC Tokyo I've had a problem bringing a guest staying at the hotel; I pointed out that I got two rooms instead of one. If this person stayed in my room with 2 beds, then the hotel would have less revenue and would accommodate both of us in the Club. They made an exception for me that one time.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 12:40 pm

However other properties like IC Frankfurt doesn't care much about the standardisation and just ignore the ne standard: food and drinks all day long.
While last month everything was still fine, today I left the lounge after one minute in the evening at about 18:30.
Lounge offering changed to standard, even the salad has gone.

Old Feb 23, 2018, 2:54 pm

Last time in december when I check in in IC Frankfurt there was enough available, even at ca. 10pm.

In the lounge of InterContinental Istanbul: 2 hours tea time with 2 sorts of pastry, cocktail happy hours (5-7pm).
I don't care much about alcohol and I don't know how many RAs they have per day (which have lounge included), but I would never pay ca. 100EUR per day for such limited offering times in order to end with a coke after a missed
hours d'oeuvre.

In IC Düsseldorf there was no lunch anymore in 2017. And one was not sure (after asking) whether the dinner will stay the same in 2018.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 12:47 am

Last time in december when I check in in IC Frankfurt there was enough available, even at ca. 10pm.

In IC Düsseldorf there was no lunch anymore in 2017. And one was not sure (after asking) whether the dinner will stay the same in 2018.
Even end of January the offering in the lounge at Frankfurt was fine. Must have changed recently.
At breakfast even the boiled eggs are gone, so if you like eggs, plan your time to wait for ordered eggs.

Düsseldorf still had a nice dinner offering beginning of January, current status I do not know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.