Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can I book a free night for other person?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2018, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Miles & More, Victoria
Can I book a free night for other person?

Hello!

This is my first post in the IHG forum, so I don't know if it is the best way to ask my question.

I have 19.000 miles expiring in January 14th and to avoid the complete expiration, I would like to book a free night at the Holiday Inn in Montevideo for my mother and my brother. The problem is that I will not travel with them, so I would like to know if I can book for them anyway or if I need to transfer these miles to their account (in fact, I would need to create an account for my mother and transfer these miles at cost of US$ 5,00 for each 5.000 miles).

I would like to avoid the cost for transfer these miles too!

I tried to book for them, but the new IHG booking system automatically put my name as guest and I did not find a way to change the guest's name.

Thanks in advance,

Criske
Old Jan 7, 2018, 1:03 pm

Location: KUL (MY), ICN (KR), ZRH (CH) or OTP (RO) - or somewhere in between
Programs: OZ, JL
Originally Posted by criske
Hello!

This is my first post in the IHG forum, so I don't know if it is the best way to ask my question.

I have 19.000 miles expiring in January 14th and to avoid the complete expiration, I would like to book a free night at the Holiday Inn in Montevideo for my mother and my brother. The problem is that I will not travel with them, so I would like to know if I can book for them anyway or if I need to transfer these miles to their account (in fact, I would need to create an account for my mother and transfer these miles at cost of US$ 5,00 for each 5.000 miles).

I would like to avoid the cost for transfer these miles too!

I tried to book for them, but the new IHG booking system automatically put my name as guest and I did not find a way to change the guest's name.

Thanks in advance,

Criske
Call IHG and book the redemption over the phone. The booking will still be under your name but they will put a special note in the reservation (with the actual guest name) and the hotel will see it at check in.
This is what I did when I booked a room for my daughter, using my points.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Miles & More, Victoria
Originally Posted by mihaid

Call IHG and book the redemption over the phone. The booking will still be under your name but they will put a special note in the reservation (with the actual guest name) and the hotel will see it at check in.
This is what I did when I booked a room for my daughter, using my points.
Thanks for the info!

I will try to call them to make this booking!

Criske
Old Jan 7, 2018, 1:41 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Ad Aries are to the booking, yo need to book for 2 and then put in the second guests name .
Old Jan 7, 2018, 9:12 pm

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
Unfortunately the noted scenario is a common method of scamming the hotel brands. More often than not the best situation is to book the hotel with the second person as the guest and note the guest will check in in the comments. Booking directly via IHG customer service or the hotel would limit the opportunity for issues. The geographic location is one factor in the scam.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 9:33 pm

I used points to book a hotel for my spouse (she was traveling to vegas, I was not). Did exactly what was mentioned here, booked the hotel with points, made a point to note a second guest with her name, and that she would be checking in.

A day after completing that online, I called the hotel itself, and just made sure it would work, and they confirmed it would be fine. Worked perfect for us.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by graeylin
I used points to book a hotel for my spouse (she was traveling to vegas, I was not). Did exactly what was mentioned here, booked the hotel with points, made a point to note a second guest with her name, and that she would be checking in.
same here, the booking was for the CP in Athens. Be sure to indicate 2 adults in the booking and add the name of the other person under "Additional Guests (optional)".
Old Jan 8, 2018, 5:31 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Virgin Gold
Is there a limit to the number of rooms that you can book using reward points if you were to be in attendance.

Lets say i'm staying at a hotel for 1 night and want 6 other rooms on points for that same night, if the availability is there will this be possible?
Old Jan 9, 2018, 7:44 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
Originally Posted by snevillio
Is there a limit to the number of rooms that you can book using reward points if you were to be in attendance.

Lets say i'm staying at a hotel for 1 night and want 6 other rooms on points for that same night, if the availability is there will this be possible?
Currently you can only book one room at a time using rewards points using the website as far as I can tell.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 8:05 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
I one booked 12 rooms with pointbreaks and confurmed by email it was ok

same night. 1 room booked at a time. I stayed in one of them. YMMV sounds risky but I checked with email and the hotel confirmed it was ok

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.