Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IHG 2018 Reward Night Points Inflation! Book Fast.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2018, 10:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson
Now we know the purpose of the multiple 100% bonus point sales in Nov. and Dec. '17.

1.) Increase the number of points/miles outstanding.
2.) Devalue them.

In retrospect, I have to admit: That's the standard procedure, right?
Old Jan 2, 2018, 11:06 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by minz56
Let's put this into perspective - I believe that IHG has over 5,000 properties around the world, of which 499 have had a points increase for award bookings. That's less than 10%, meaning that over 90% had no change or a reduction.

Having said that, I do think it is a slippery road .....
Yeah but like 4,000 of them are in locations like Wichita, KS sand Godknowswhere, ND, so only the 10% we actually care about are impacted.
1flyer likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 1:41 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
In reality it just nullifies the gains in earnings from the accelerate nonsense.
Accelerate doesn't make the top 10 of PC/IHG's most generous promos. Surely some here remember the days of Crack the Case/new member/welcome back/etc/etc bonus code stacking, whereby you could easily earn hundreds of thousands of points (and free nights on top) with a handful of stays. What may have changed is that this was a relatively obscure hobby back in those days (while now you have lots of people following blogs that trumpet these deals), and what certainly has changed is the economy -- hotels are full, lots of people travel, and these redemptions cost IHG a lot of money.

Disappointing to see these increases, and especially the way in which they were (not) communicated.
turner32 likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
But the bonus code stacking was never meant to work!

For the benefit of younger readers, IHG issued codes - some could register for 10k points after 2 nights, others got 10k after 3, 10k after 4 etc.

You could, however, register for them all. Thus meant you were getting 10k per night in bonuses ..... and this was the day when all ICs were 30k.
turner32 and 1flyer like this.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 5:31 am

deleted

Last edited by markle; May 25, 2023 at 6:57 am
Old Jan 3, 2018, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
But the bonus code stacking was never meant to work!

For the benefit of younger readers, IHG issued codes - some could register for 10k points after 2 nights, others got 10k after 3, 10k after 4 etc.

You could, however, register for them all. Thus meant you were getting 10k per night in bonuses ..... and this was the day when all ICs were 30k.
Since that time IC slowly became a sad joke. Now it's a very, very sad joke. I don't even register or pay attention to those promos.
Very rarely stay at an IC. Looks like they noticed as they just sent me the new Accelerate promo which gives me 120K for basically
a few nights at 3 hotels. I think I'll do it - that will give me 2 nights back in Bora Bora when I'll go anyway, stay at the FS and book 2 extra nights at the Thalasso when they release it a couple of days earlier. I guess that's all I can get back from this sorry @ss "program".
Old Jan 3, 2018, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Big_Foot
Since that time IC slowly became a sad joke. Now it's a very, very sad joke. I don't even register or pay attention to those promos.
Very rarely stay at an IC. Looks like they noticed as they just sent me the new Accelerate promo which gives me 120K for basically
a few nights at 3 hotels. I think I'll do it - that will give me 2 nights back in Bora Bora when I'll go anyway, stay at the FS and book 2 extra nights at the Thalasso when they release it a couple of days earlier. I guess that's all I can get back from this sorry @ss "program".
Technically It won't quite give you 2 nights at Bora Bora - as that's going up from 60,000 points to 70,000 points Admittedly you might well get the other 20,000 from staying a few nights though.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is a pretty big jump. Between this and the worse and worse list for PointBreak, the program is getting less valuable for me.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 10:15 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Seems like they are trying to slowly eliminate the 10k reward level. Lots of properties moving away from 10k but not a single one moving to 10k.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 3:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by markle
Pleasant surprise to not see the IC Danang in that list - booked a few weeks ago half-expecting that points rates there would go up next year.
I hope you are right.

But IHG does sometimes quietly raise the level without publicize it.

Watch out.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 3:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by 1353513636
Seems like they are trying to slowly eliminate the 10k reward level. Lots of properties moving away from 10k but not a single one moving to 10k.
For the PR purpose, IHG will always have 5-10 properties around 10,000 in the most unreachable locations so that they can boost themselves as a hotel group have redemption start from 10,000....
Old Jan 7, 2018, 12:55 pm

With IHG's continued failure to include breakfast for elites (at non-HIX hotels), accelerated inflation of points required for Reward nights, thinning ranks of interesting Pointbreaks destinations, bad IT and poor call centre staff in the Philippines, promotions that you can not qualify for, poor footprint in many areas (e.g. Scandinavia) ... and the list goes on... I consider IHG hotels last, even after others like Best Western.
username likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wonder if the Moderators can either make this a sticky or put some kind of icon on this thread to alert people....
Old Jan 10, 2018, 12:36 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Just as a heads up my IHG monthly statement says the points increases are from 16 jan
Old Jan 10, 2018, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Saral
Just as a heads up my IHG monthly statement says the points increases are from 16 jan
I saw that too, except I clicked on the link and didn't actually get to the page showing which hotels are changing in price.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.