Krabi - HI or HIEx?

Old Dec 31, 17, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BAG/OWE, Accor Gold
Question Krabi - HI or HIEx?

I've a few nights to book in Krabi during the expensive Chinese New Year period. The HI is now pricing out at 35,000 per night and the HI Express (almost next door) 20,000. Cash rates have a similar variation.

Is anyone here able to give insight on whether the extra 15,000 per night for the HI is worth it over the HI Express (noting the latter has something of a breakfast and it's own pool)? There's quite a few reviews on the HI Resort, but nothing on the Express.

Reading the hotel description, it almost feels as though the HI costs more to account for it's extra family-friend facilities, something we have no use for.
For what it's worth, we will be using our time to snorkeling and visit some small local islands whilst in Krabi (trips to other destinations like Phi Phi to follow later in our visit).

Thanks!
Old Jan 2, 18, 9:06 am

If you're given the backwards facing rooms in HI as I got, you have nearly the same view as the fwd facing rooms at HIX. I think you're answering yourself already - you need a place to sleep which the HIX fulfills just fine. It's set back from the main road and rather quiet in a cul-de-sac, no bar or anything else but rooms are ok.
Old Aug 27, 19, 8:23 pm

If staying at the HI or HIX in Krabi, are there local restaurants and shops nearby that one can easily walk to? How is the Internet connectivity in both these hotels?
Old Aug 27, 19, 11:07 pm

Location: Bangkok and Palm Coast, FL. Exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by puchong View Post
If staying at the HI or HIX in Krabi, are there local restaurants and shops nearby that one can easily walk to? How is the Internet connectivity in both these hotels?
We ate at a couple places right on the water: Wang Sai was OK and Luna Beach Bar was maybe slightly better. Good seafood of course, very fresh and nice views. Basically, right across the road from the HIR. A-One is a little north of the HIR and has more western choices-steak, ribs, burgers etc. Still, decent Thai dishes and not too expensive, but not right on the water but good views as there wasn't a building blocking the water view. All definitely walking distance.
Old Aug 28, 19, 3:36 pm

As noted, they are right next to one another.
And, I noticed the musician in the bar bounce between them.
The HIX has an open air bar next to the street. I assume breakfast was there, and assume included with HIX. I stayed at the resort, paid a little extra for breakfast which was open air on the second level above the lobby.
The pool at the resort was great, and had pool side rooms (balcony directly on pool). And there were several pools, the one our room was on was mostly full of kids playing.
Multiple restaurants with Thai food (and bars) nearby in either direction. Prices were higher than expected by Thai standards, but not really that bad. Seafood was fresh, but not remarkably, apparently the closest actual fishing is from 20 kilometers or so down the coast.
Old Sep 4, 19, 10:15 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire Ambassador
I've stayed at the HI in Krabi. Lots of restaurants within walking distance and also the Night Market, which has a vast array of excellent quality street food. If you just want a bed and not much else, the HIX would be fine. I was happy to pay the extra and thought that the HI was very good use of 35k points per night.
Old Sep 7, 19, 1:51 pm

Programs: QR Silver, AC, EVA Gold, UL silver and PAL. IHG Gold
How do you get to the Hotel from Krabi airport? What is the best way to book the transfer? Use the hotel or book a private company? Hotel is asking for 1000 baht per person per way.
Old Sep 13, 19, 9:57 am

Programs: UA life 1K, 2MM; AA Life Pt 3mm; DL nada now!; AS nada now; BA, FD, CX, LH, DD, Amex Pt, Diners
So can you stay at the HIX and basically walk a few feet and get the facilities of the HI? I assume so.
Old Sep 13, 19, 4:28 pm

The Holiday Inn has been lowered to 25,000 points a night (it wasn't very long ago I remember it being 10k a night). Only 5000 point difference now between the two.
Old Sep 16, 19, 3:25 am

Originally Posted by UAAAPeter View Post
So can you stay at the HIX and basically walk a few feet and get the facilities of the HI? I assume so.
Yes, nothing to stop you using the bar, restaurant, pool etc.
Old Sep 16, 19, 3:26 am

Originally Posted by dav662 View Post
How do you get to the Hotel from Krabi airport? What is the best way to book the transfer? Use the hotel or book a private company? Hotel is asking for 1000 baht per person per way.
Hotel or private transfer will probably be similar priced. There are buses, which are often shared, so you have to wait until enough people are ready at the same time.
Old Sep 26, 19, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by Crofton138 View Post
Hotel or private transfer will probably be similar priced. There are buses, which are often shared, so you have to wait until enough people are ready at the same time.
If I remember, Taxi was 500 baht, 1000 at the most. At first I thought it included a tourist tax, but 1/2 way there realized it was a pretty fair rate. But, there were only 2 cars there, and as soon as we started getting into one someone else got into the second. I'm not sure what a third person would've had to do. But remembering the bus sitting there waiting, windows open, no AC, as we drove past leaving the airport was sure I picked right.
Asked hotel to arrange taxi back to airport and I there price was 100 more than I paid to get there. Taxi ended up being a minivan.
That was priced per car, and there were three of us...
Old Oct 10, 19, 3:07 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, IHG Plat Amb
(Almost) completed my Pointbreaks stay at the HIX. Good value for the 5K points/night, but not for the standard 20K or the high season cash rate. Both rooms and breakfast in line with typical Asian HIX standards. Wifi reliable and reasonably fast.
Old Jan 10, 20, 3:29 pm

Programs: United 1k
just on this-can you use the pool at hi if staying at the hix?
Old Jan 11, 20, 2:26 pm

Programs: Try to be elite again... :)
If you have a choice I heard much better comments about the HI resort at Phi Phi Island which is one hour by ferry. Try there?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: