Old Dec 31, 2017, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Wiki was copied from 2017 thread
Created WIKI Mar2017 purely to add the "new" IHG PB List URL as I can't find by screen navigation since IHG changed the reservation screens etc, and the old url if saved no longer works either.

Just got fed up trying to find , much easier to store in wiki, hope this helps others

Pointbeaks changed the amount of points needed: This is discussed in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-rewards-club-intercontinental-ambassador/1890423-point-breaks-now-5k-10-15k.html

This thread is about the discussion about the locations and the actual list, please use the thread above for discussions about the increased number of points needed for pointbreak redemptions.

SCUBACCR

Use this URL for "Live" PB Listing:
https://www.ihg.com/rewardsclub/content/us/en/redeem-rewards/pointbreaks.html

The PREVIEW list usually appears on IHG's blog first
https://blog.ihg.com/ihg-rewards-club-pointbreaks-preview
Print Wikipost

2018 Pointbreaks Discussion Thread

Old Nov 27, 2018, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Also, I think I saw São Paulo in there, Staybridge Suites I think, and I don’t recall ever seeing anything in São Paulo before. There are (or maybe, were) a couple options in Panama City too. And I don’t know why there are so many properties in Munich on the list.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 10:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Concerto
Also, I think I saw São Paulo in there, Staybridge Suites I think, and I don’t recall ever seeing anything in São Paulo before. There are (or maybe, were) a couple options in Panama City too. And I don’t know why there are so many properties in Munich on the list.
Clearly you have not been to Munich in the winter... lol...
Old Nov 27, 2018, 10:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by torontcan
Will never forget the member who chastised those of us who correctly predicted that the changes to the program were meant to weaken Pointbreaks. Totally vindicated..but no use now. Individuals like that person basically lobbied IHG to make the changes, claiming there would be great choices at 10,000 and 15,000 points. You were sadly WRONG. We are vindicated.but it doesn't matter..the damage is done.
look at the bright side. There are some good properties on the list like Munich. And there are several ICs on the list, which during several quarters there were no IC at all. Also the Panama property and several European property is sort of nice. You can never pleas anyone. Of course, if you would like to go back to the dark period of no IC no CP at all, you are welcome.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I thought Munich always had quite a lot of life to it, especially during the pre Christmas rush with the markets and so on. I am there reasonably often, about 2 times during the winter, but I've probably misunderstood how these things work. I'm glad, in a way, Munich airport HIX didn't come up, because I just booked a non refundable stay there in the Black Friday sale.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 2:30 am

Happy

I managed to get 6 nights at the Intercontinental Long Beach in Vietnam over Christmas and then 2 nights over the New Year in Hiroshima for the fire festival. Can’t wait!
Old Nov 29, 2018, 3:14 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: Lowly BAEC Bronze, VS, IHG Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hotels.com Gold
I got a couple of nights in Warsaw at the Hotel Indigo. Not a huge saving on the cash price, but not bad either. I need to be in Warsaw anyway (in fact I'm spending 2 weeks there - 2 nights of touristing/pre-op, 3 nights having my hip fixed in hospital, then 7-10 days recovery/rehab/waiting to have the stitches out). So... 2 nights in the Hotel Indigo for free is quite a nice way to start that trip.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by rhivolution
I got a couple of nights in Warsaw at the Hotel Indigo. Not a huge saving on the cash price, but not bad either. I need to be in Warsaw anyway (in fact I'm spending 2 weeks there - 2 nights of touristing/pre-op, 3 nights having my hip fixed in hospital, then 7-10 days recovery/rehab/waiting to have the stitches out). So... 2 nights in the Hotel Indigo for free is quite a nice way to start that trip.
hope everything goes well....
Old Nov 30, 2018, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Booked 3 nights at IC Phu Quoc. Gonna hop over on the direct BKK Air flight. 15k a pop, fair enough!
Old Nov 30, 2018, 2:00 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: Lowly BAEC Bronze, VS, IHG Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by Keyser
hope everything goes well....
Thank you!
Old Nov 30, 2018, 2:59 am

Programs: AA GLD,DL,UA
Originally Posted by somedudefromFLa
Agreed 100% except starriott
Oh well it was good while it lasted...
I'm thankful for the value I've gotten from PBs over the years. At this point it's almost wiser to spend effort looking for deals elsewhere than checking the marginal PB value.

I've still got boatloads of IHG points, but most of those have come from past great promotions, such as the postcard mail-in.

The main IHG values remaining are the annual free credit card night and low-point HIX/SB in the Midwest and elsewhere. We are partial to BF included, and appreciate the occasional surprise BF such as the CP-Phoenix, CP-OKC, and HI-LHR-T5 (can't say if they're still offered). We do like The 10% rebate with credit cards and 500 point bonus that stretch points further.

I figured a few years back when there were generous point promotions, that devaluations would come in the future, as it has. I don't expect the pendulum with swing back in the future. I think these downgraded programs are the result of BIG DATA. Companies are looking more deeply at the cost/benefit of these programs and finding they don't generate future revenue streams and may in fact cost the company revenue. They may be missing it for the people who are big spenders and like the rewards, but they are offset by the many more who don't spend much and get lots of benefits (like me :-)).
The_Bouncer likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 3:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Booked 3 nights at IC Phu Quoc. Gonna hop over on the direct BKK Air flight. 15k a pop, fair enough!
I would say more than fair for an IC as well as CNY/Tet holiday.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by tentseller
I would say more than fair for an IC as well as CNY/Tet holiday.
Oh god. Is it CNY already late January?? Have to check the dates but in that case I can just as well cancel. Not in the mood for that.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 5:37 am

Programs: NZ
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Oh god. Is it CNY already late January?? Have to check the dates but in that case I can just as well cancel. Not in the mood for that.
Chinese New Year 2019 is 5 February.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 1:32 pm

-----

Last edited by mster; Apr 25, 2019 at 8:34 am
Old Dec 4, 2018, 8:00 pm

Programs: United Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mster
Anyone else book the Hiroshima Crowne Plaza? The location is probably the best of any property on the list. Winter in Japan is beautiful too!
I've stayed there before, a couple of years ago when the Okayama CP was on the list (but I paid cash). Great hotel, very good location. Just a block to the Fukuromachi streetcar stop and a block away from the bridge that crosses the river that leads into the Peace Park.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.