Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2017, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Wiki was copied from 2017 thread
Created WIKI Mar2017 purely to add the "new" IHG PB List URL as I can't find by screen navigation since IHG changed the reservation screens etc, and the old url if saved no longer works either.

Just got fed up trying to find , much easier to store in wiki, hope this helps others

Pointbeaks changed the amount of points needed: This is discussed in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-rewards-club-intercontinental-ambassador/1890423-point-breaks-now-5k-10-15k.html

This thread is about the discussion about the locations and the actual list, please use the thread above for discussions about the increased number of points needed for pointbreak redemptions.

SCUBACCR

Use this URL for "Live" PB Listing:
https://www.ihg.com/rewardsclub/content/us/en/redeem-rewards/pointbreaks.html

The PREVIEW list usually appears on IHG's blog first
https://blog.ihg.com/ihg-rewards-club-pointbreaks-preview
Print Wikipost

2018 Pointbreaks Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2018, 3:49 am

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.
It's a whole bag of poop.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 8:15 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by Sisyphus1carus
This comment sums it up better and more succintly than anything else I have read - or written - on the subject.
Flamenguista likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 3:00 am

Originally Posted by Sisyphus1carus
I know it's subjective depending on the person and the list, but this summarized my thoughts perfectly. Compared to the last 2 lists, it's a bag of poop. I was very anxious to see what was inside, poked around it, looked inside, and then retreated as quickly as possible.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I totally agree with Sisyphus1carus above, unfortunately. I rather thought that not responding would leave his message as a fitting last statement about this promotion.

There is little improvement on the previous lists at 5,000 points. The only slightly positive outcome is that there will be less of a feeding frenzy once each promotion comes out, leaving some of those rooms free for others to book. I mean, who would want to pay 53 Euros when you can redeem a special offer of 15,000 points?
Old Jul 27, 2018, 5:37 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by Concerto
I totally agree with Sisyphus1carus above, unfortunately. There is little improvement on the previous lists at 5,000 points. The only slightly positive outcome is that there will be less of a feeding frenzy once each promotion comes out, leaving some of those rooms free for others to book. I mean, who would want to pay 53 Euros when you can redeem a special offer of 15,000 points?
Yeah Right, this time around the weekend nights at most of these went in a couple hours. San antonio for example and galveston come to mind. tried to change the weekend i booked and no go, all sold out
Old Jul 27, 2018, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I haven't looked because I don't really need to, but I was idly wondering what remaining availability was like. I would imagine that most of the 15,000 point hotels are still there.
chrism20 likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 8:18 am

I haven't looked because I don't really need to, but I was idly wondering what remaining availability was like. I would imagine that most of the 15,000 point hotels are still there.
There is 109 properties in total still on the list so only 27 have dropped off. 27 are at 15k - there were 41 to start with so more 15k ones gone than the others.

I only looked at the UK ones this time as summer holidays etc are all planned and was just looking for a cheeky getaway for a couple of nights.

Croydon and Heathrow have gone from the list which doesn't surprise me due to their locations.

What does surprise me is that Brighton is still on the list considering the exceptional weather and the time of year although its possible all thats left is random dates that can't be strung together. Also a bit surprised at Birmingham considering its City Centre location to be honest.

The other remaining two are the Aberdeen ones and rates for tonight are Ł55 (HIX) and Ł52 (CP). At those rates you wouldn't even consider points.

Since the changes this list is definitely the poorest of the three although I notice its only for two months. I wonder if it's going back to bimonthly rather than quarterly.

Last edited by chrism20; Jul 27, 2018 at 8:25 am
Old Jul 27, 2018, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hard to say. Does this mean there will potentially be another Pointbreaks list towards the end of September then? Concerning Brighton, that hotel is just terrible apparently. If you follow Headforpoints there has been quite a bit of (negative) feedback there.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 12:53 pm

Hard to say. Does this mean there will potentially be another Pointbreaks list towards the end of September then? Concerning Brighton, that hotel is just terrible apparently. If you follow Headforpoints there has been quite a bit of (negative) feedback there.
I hope so as I’ve notjing planned for my week off in November yet.

Yes HI Brighton wouldn’t be my first choice if visiting the area (A room with a view is excellent) but in high summer the chance of a 15k/night room will certainly appeal to some particularly those on a budget. They appear to have loaded everything as reward nights as well including family rooms and sea view execs.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 3:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Ok, so the consensus of opinion seems to be 💩
Old Jul 27, 2018, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It definitely is a sausage roll in the garden which, if you're not careful, you might end up tramping in.
The_Bouncer likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 11:02 am

FWIW Candlewood Suites Sayre, PA is a good deal at 5k points. Clean and very well reviewed; staff seemed nice though I didn't really need much. Fairly close to the Finger Lakes, too. In my book definitely worth 5k points - rates were $90ish for this past weekend.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Phew, that’s really good to learn that there is still something positive about this promotion. Hopefully we’re not right at the end yet.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 3:16 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by klanfa
FWIW Candlewood Suites Sayre, PA is a good deal at 5k points. Clean and very well reviewed; staff seemed nice though I didn't really need much. Fairly close to the Finger Lakes, too. In my book definitely worth 5k points - rates were $90ish for this past weekend.
Sounds like Dąbrowa Górnicza in May 2017. Out of the way, but a local bus ride away from Katowice and Krakow not too far away; new and good staff, but unless you were in that part of Poland not much use to most of us. Not surprisingly, one of few properties still available all the way to the end of promotion. IIRC got upgraded at checkin
Old Aug 8, 2018, 8:00 am

First list in a couple years with multiple solid offerings for Canada, with the two largest cities covered.

New HI in downtown Montreal for 15K (vs usual 30K) was a bargain.

New HIX 10km west of Pearson in Toronto for 10K (vs 20K) another great deal.

Off the beaten path, the SS in London, ON is very nice, and an excellent value at 10K (vs 20K).

I'll gladly pay 10K - 15K if it means more newer, quality hotels near the action vs worn-down roadstop highway CS for 5K.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.