Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2017, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Wiki was copied from 2017 thread
Created WIKI Mar2017 purely to add the "new" IHG PB List URL as I can't find by screen navigation since IHG changed the reservation screens etc, and the old url if saved no longer works either.

Just got fed up trying to find , much easier to store in wiki, hope this helps others

Pointbeaks changed the amount of points needed: This is discussed in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-rewards-club-intercontinental-ambassador/1890423-point-breaks-now-5k-10-15k.html

This thread is about the discussion about the locations and the actual list, please use the thread above for discussions about the increased number of points needed for pointbreak redemptions.

SCUBACCR

Use this URL for "Live" PB Listing:
https://www.ihg.com/rewardsclub/content/us/en/redeem-rewards/pointbreaks.html

The PREVIEW list usually appears on IHG's blog first
https://blog.ihg.com/ihg-rewards-club-pointbreaks-preview
Print Wikipost

2018 Pointbreaks Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2018, 2:41 pm

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Enigma368
Was anyone able to book this hotel at pointsbreaks rate?
Yes, but in August when it's cheap anyway. September was possibly already mostly booked at the full redemption price.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 2:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by travelbarefeet
Didn't know about taxes being inclusive outside of US and Canada. Thanks for that.

I was responding to this though:

Originally Posted by The_Bouncer - "Strange. I'm seeing the CP LHR available at 15k on the app for the 17th. But then, with a cash rate of Ł60, why would you bother?"

My goal wasn't to say 15k pts is more valuable than Ł60 or vice versa. My goal was to show that it shouldn't automatically be dismissed as a dumb idea.
I probably expressed that a little too unsubtly. I didn't mean it was a dumb idea. I just meant it was marginal value at best and there is certainly better value to be had from the points.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
I probably expressed that a little too unsubtly. I didn't mean it was a dumb idea. I just meant it was marginal value at best and there is certainly better value to be had from the points.
Yeah, it's marginal value. But I see IHG pts being sold at $0.50 all the time. There's one going on now. Without ptbreaks, the redemption value is even less than $0.50. Some people have tons of IHG pts from promotions and such so even if it's marginal value, it's worth burning them. After all, you can always buy more at $0.50.

For me, it's worth it. I have tons of IHG pts and find it hard to get $0.50 value out of them. Plus, w/ accounts being hacked, I'm afraid of losing them.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 3:02 pm

Booked HI @ Cape Cod (15k) for a few nights in early September, getting well over 1 cpp. Hotels in Buffalo and Montreal looked like good deals as well, but I'll not be able to take a stip there before September. Nothing good for my trip to NC / GA in the end of August.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
It happens to coincide with an upcoming visit I will make to Dubai, so I booked a couple of nights there. Don’t know what this hotel is like, though. Can’t be too bad, for the UAE, but IHG hotels in Abu Dhabi are underwhelming all the same. European options are thin but at least those given are fairly decent.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 4:38 pm

Programs: IHG - Plat, Accor - Plat, Marriott - Gold, Club Carlson - Gold, BW - Diamond, Hilton - Gold
Originally Posted by mster
Plenty of decent options in the EU from this list. HI Paris Montmartre & HI Warsaw both look great. HIX Dresden and HIX Frankfurt City - Hauptbahnhof look doable too.
just booked Warsaw for a long weekend.
was in Dresden 3 weeks ago, beautiful city, worth a visit!
Old Jul 23, 2018, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interestingly, the Holiday Inn Downtown Dubai is also showing for 15,000 points around the dates I’ve booked. Is that an error or could that be the real points price for that hotel?

Incidentally, 1,000 points posted instantly as part of my current spend points Accelerate challenge. Wonder what will happen if I cancel!
Old Jul 23, 2018, 9:21 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Glad to see 1 HI property near Orlando Airport for 10000 points, this works well for me.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
I have a one week gig at the ADB across the street from CP Manila Galleria. So this list is good for me as I bill flat rate paying my own expenses. I have stayed there many times so I would get some benefits as a frequent guest.

Some PB list works for me and some won't. This was a gift as I will end up paying less expenditures.
Same for "Accelerate" promotion. I scored big during the most recent set which will be applied for this PB stay.

Last edited by tentseller; Jul 24, 2018 at 6:03 am
Old Jul 24, 2018, 6:13 am

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
Originally Posted by tentseller
I have a one week gig at the ADB across the street from CP Manila Galleria. So this list is good for me as I bill flat rate paying my own expenses. I have stayed there many times so I would get some benefits as a frequent guest.

Some PB list works for me and some won't. This was a gift as I will end up paying less expenditures.
Same for "Accelerate" promotion. I scored big during the most recent set which will be applied for this PB stay.
Will they give you a discount paying for lounge access, as a frequent guest? I like the lounge there.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by kevino

Will they give you a discount paying for lounge access, as a frequent guest? I like the lounge there.
Email the hotel with your pending stay, lounge access request and your stay history. There are no set formulae for discount or comp that I can figure out. (10-15 nights per year)
Old Jul 24, 2018, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Whoah, the Dubai Holiday Inn Barsha would cost AED226 (GBP46) on the nights I have booked, most definitely not worth 15,000 points a night. Will probably cancel this one, works out to be a pretty terrible deal. Even if it was 5,000 points, it would still be better just to pay the cash rate.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 10:03 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by Concerto
Interestingly, the Holiday Inn Downtown Dubai is also showing for 15,000 points around the dates I’ve booked. Is that an error or could that be the real points price for that hotel?

Incidentally, 1,000 points posted instantly as part of my current spend points Accelerate challenge. Wonder what will happen if I cancel!
Yes, this is the normal price for Dubai Downtown.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 11:47 am

Programs: Priority Club Platinum Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by Concerto
Whoah, the Dubai Holiday Inn Barsha would cost AED226 (GBP46) on the nights I have booked, most definitely not worth 15,000 points a night. Will probably cancel this one, works out to be a pretty terrible deal. Even if it was 5,000 points, it would still be better just to pay the cash rate.
Usually the hotels that are on the pointbreaks list are new hotels to the IHG chain or hotels with very low occupancy rate, ( probably the low occupancy rate is also the reason why some new IHG hotels are on this list)
So if you check the rates of all hotels on the list probably 60-70% of them have low daily rates.

Also the prices in Dubai and Abu Dhabi are very low in the summer and to the end of September.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It was still possible to get some decent value from these promotions from time to time, but the moment they upped Pointbreaks to 10,000 and 15,000 points that effectively killed. But others already said all this the first time Pointbreaks came out with these increased levels.
The_Bouncer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.