Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2017, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Wiki was copied from 2017 thread
Created WIKI Mar2017 purely to add the "new" IHG PB List URL as I can't find by screen navigation since IHG changed the reservation screens etc, and the old url if saved no longer works either.

Just got fed up trying to find , much easier to store in wiki, hope this helps others

Pointbeaks changed the amount of points needed: This is discussed in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-rewards-club-intercontinental-ambassador/1890423-point-breaks-now-5k-10-15k.html

This thread is about the discussion about the locations and the actual list, please use the thread above for discussions about the increased number of points needed for pointbreak redemptions.

SCUBACCR

Use this URL for "Live" PB Listing:
https://www.ihg.com/rewardsclub/content/us/en/redeem-rewards/pointbreaks.html

The PREVIEW list usually appears on IHG's blog first
https://blog.ihg.com/ihg-rewards-club-pointbreaks-preview
Print Wikipost

2018 Pointbreaks Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2018, 12:03 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Flamenguista

It's a frustrating situation that leaves us with choosing the "best of worst".
Yup, kind of like airline programs. Unless you fly / stay on someone else's dime, and those days are long gone for me

Originally Posted by beachmouse

if it's a choice between 3 reward nights at an IC and 6 reward nights at a Staybridge, I'm all over the Staybridge in an instant.
Great minds think alike @:-)
Old May 8, 2018, 12:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Candlewood Suites is the best value of the IHG brands now for my money (or indeed my points).

Once I've blown 100k on 5 nights at the Holiday Inn Queenstown, NZ - if a certain "discount" airfare works out - I'll then have 360k left to burn. Enough for 36 nights at 10k on-the-road Candlewoods and HIXs - and I would take that over 5 nights at a city IC any day.
Old May 24, 2018, 11:23 pm

Is it capacity control? for example in 1 night hotel only put 5 rooms for 5K , and other 25 rooms are regular 25K?

I checked Staybridge Suites Vancouver-Portland Metro supposed to be 10K only, but all the nights I check only list 20K room
Old May 24, 2018, 11:27 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Originally Posted by ecgz88
Is it capacity control? for example in 1 night hotel only put 5 rooms for 5K , and other 25 rooms are regular 25K?

I checked Staybridge Suites Vancouver-Portland Metro supposed to be 10K only, but all the nights I check only list 20K room
yes that was one of the better properties on the list, hence why it is gone
Old May 25, 2018, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
How would you value this:

I have a trip coming up to DC area, and I got a bunch of PB rooms booked. However I have also got this offer from Accelerate: 3 nights in 2 HIs (2 separate stay including a weekend 2 nights stay) will give me 34700 bonus points. So far what I have seen is that the cheapest is to get a room at around $100/night. I'm willing to go to BWI and even PA area but the price seems to be higher than around IAD area.

For PB 10k/night the cash value would be roughly $50, so basically that 3 night will cost me in cash for around $300 whereas if I used the point it would only be $150.

I blew most of my stash of IHG points away in a upcoming trip to Japan.

What would you pick? Use the PB or grab the points?

Thanks in advance!
Old May 25, 2018, 6:31 am

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
this doesn’t go to answer your specific question, but if one of your stays is at the greenbelt holiday inn, i’d pass. we had roaches in our room and the entire place was filthy and rundown. i posted a detailed, factual and non-hyperbolic review with photos to tripadvisor, but (surprise!) it wasn’t approved.
Old May 25, 2018, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by riphamilton
this doesn’t go to answer your specific question, but if one of your stays is at the greenbelt holiday inn, i’d pass. we had roaches in our room and the entire place was filthy and rundown. i posted a detailed, factual and non-hyperbolic review with photos to tripadvisor, but (surprise!) it wasn’t approved.
YEP, I booked that hotel for 2 nights - it sounds really bad, is it as bad as the one as Rosslyn@key bridge? I don't have high hope with HI and I stayed at the Rosslyn one was because of free parking (not anymore).
Old May 25, 2018, 10:10 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by nacho
How would you value this:

I have a trip coming up to DC area, and I got a bunch of PB rooms booked. However I have also got this offer from Accelerate: 3 nights in 2 HIs (2 separate stay including a weekend 2 nights stay) will give me 34700 bonus points. So far what I have seen is that the cheapest is to get a room at around $100/night. I'm willing to go to BWI and even PA area but the price seems to be higher than around IAD area.

For PB 10k/night the cash value would be roughly $50, so basically that 3 night will cost me in cash for around $300 whereas if I used the point it would only be $150.

I blew most of my stash of IHG points away in a upcoming trip to Japan.

What would you pick? Use the PB or grab the points?

Thanks in advance!
OK - the way I see it, you have 2 options.

1. Spend 30,000 points and $0.

2. Spend $300 and pick up 34,700 + whatever points per $ depending on your status. Assuming you are at least plat, that means a total of 40k points or so nett.

That means the overall difference in your points balance will be ca. 70k, versus an overall difference in your back pocket of $300.

The questions you need to ask yourself is:

If IHG offered me the chance to buy 70k points for $300, would I do it?
Old May 25, 2018, 10:24 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by The_Bouncer

Well, that seems like an interesting approach.
Old May 25, 2018, 2:42 pm

yeah, I checked 04/30-07/31, some nights still have 20K room left, some nights no reward room left .....I cna't see any night have 10K roomInteresting though, IHG seldom have WA hotel listed......probably 2 or 3 every year.
Old May 26, 2018, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
OK - the way I see it, you have 2 options.

1. Spend 30,000 points and $0.

2. Spend $300 and pick up 34,700 + whatever points per $ depending on your status. Assuming you are at least plat, that means a total of 40k points or so nett.

That means the overall difference in your points balance will be ca. 70k, versus an overall difference in your back pocket of $300.

Thanks! I forgot about the 30k pts that I won't be spending because of this. I'm a Plat so I should get around 40k points so I think I'll keep checking if I see something nice.
Old May 29, 2018, 2:52 pm

Programs: HH-D / IHG-Sp / Marriott-P / LH-SEN / BA-S
Originally Posted by winkny
Hilton has some 5000 and 10 000 pts hotels all year round
And the price of hilton pts is also around $4 per 1000 and even lower.
While I confirm there are some of those hotels, they are mostly limited to relatively 'lower-priced destinations' like Bali, Turkey, India...
DT Kuala Lumpur is good example where you can burn Hilton points with good value.
Note that they recently increased many 5k-Hotels to 10k. Glad I burnt 15k for 3 nights in Hilton Salalah on-time.

In reality, the grass on the other side isn't necessarily greener once you're on the other side.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 8:34 am

When to expect new list?
Old Jul 17, 2018, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I am guessing a few days before the end of the month, perhaps the last Monday of the month. Don't expect any preview or indications of what hotels might be available, though.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 5:06 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Hmm, are we already up for a new list?

Gonna have to put a note in my calendar,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.