Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2017, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Wiki was copied from 2017 thread
Created WIKI Mar2017 purely to add the "new" IHG PB List URL as I can't find by screen navigation since IHG changed the reservation screens etc, and the old url if saved no longer works either.

Just got fed up trying to find , much easier to store in wiki, hope this helps others

Pointbeaks changed the amount of points needed: This is discussed in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-rewards-club-intercontinental-ambassador/1890423-point-breaks-now-5k-10-15k.html

This thread is about the discussion about the locations and the actual list, please use the thread above for discussions about the increased number of points needed for pointbreak redemptions.

SCUBACCR

Use this URL for "Live" PB Listing:
https://www.ihg.com/rewardsclub/content/us/en/redeem-rewards/pointbreaks.html

The PREVIEW list usually appears on IHG's blog first
https://blog.ihg.com/ihg-rewards-club-pointbreaks-preview
Print Wikipost

2018 Pointbreaks Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2018, 10:37 am

This list was very beneficial to me, as our already scheduled trips coincided perfectly with 2 of the best options on the list . Me and the wife booked 2 night stays each at the Intercontinental Muscat, for a total of 4 nights. I also booked 4 nights at the Singapore Atrium. What was weird is that I originally put in 4 nights to see the original price in points without the Pointsbreak discount. However, all 4 nights priced out at the Pointsbreak rate of 15,000.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
Utterly pathetic. Same old dross at double and triple the cost. I've got better things to do.
Nobody could call the list "great." You pretty much have to get lucky to use it. And certainly not much that would encourage you to go out of your way to book. Is it actually worse than when they just offer 5K deals (at least for the past couple of years)? I'm not sure. I do wish there were more 15K deals at properties that would be more popular. Still. it's better to have some pointbreaks than no pointbreaks.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 10:47 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by FlightorFight
I salvaged something out of this dreadful list: Grenoble for TourDeFrance at alpe d'huez.
That is a very good PB score. Say hello to the drunken Norwegians and sloshed Dutch fellas for me.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by Flamenguista
This list was very beneficial to me, as our already scheduled trips coincided perfectly with 2 of the best options on the list . Me and the wife booked 2 night stays each at the Intercontinental Muscat, for a total of 4 nights. I also booked 4 nights at the Singapore Atrium. What was weird is that I originally put in 4 nights to see the original price in points without the Pointsbreak discount. However, all 4 nights priced out at the Pointsbreak rate of 15,000.
Why would this be weird? PB stays can be as long as you want -- they are not limited to one night, if that's the assumption behind this statement.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by stets
Why would this be weird? PB stays can be as long as you want -- they are not limited to one night, if that's the assumption behind this statement.
I was sure it was a 2 night max. But, I guess I was wrong.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 10:58 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
I was sure it was a 2 night max. But, I guess I was wrong.
It's two reservations but they can be as long as you want. So you could have done all your oman under one account provided you had the points.
Flamenguista likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 11:05 am

Programs: QR Plat, HH Diamond
any decent hotel is 15k points, TRIPLE the original Points Break cost

sort of a letdown, though I was happy to book HIEX near SFO for a night on an already scheduled trip ;-)
torontotravel likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 11:07 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by FlightorFight
I salvaged something out of this dreadful list: Grenoble for TourDeFrance at alpe d'huez.
Grenoble-Bernin is not a bad little HIX. I have stayed there before on PBs and I might have buzzed down there again for a few nights if it had been 5k.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 11:29 am

Programs: AA, HH, SPG, UA
Booked the Singapore Atrium as well!
Old Apr 30, 2018, 11:32 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
I managed to Book Condado, PR, Detroit and Charleston. Loved that there were so many in Miami but wasn't ready to commit to staycations yet. It's weird becuase there is NEVER anything cheap announced in MIA and now there were like 5 options.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by miadukes
It's two reservations but they can be as long as you want. So you could have done all your oman under one account provided you had the points.
The official wording on the Pointsbreak opening page is a little misleading. I now realize the capitalization of 'nights' and it's intention.
"Due to the limited availability, each member may only book two PointBreaks® Reward Nights reservations per hotel during the special offer time period."
miadukes likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 12:43 pm

Programs: KLM Gold, DL Silver
another 3 months of crappy offers
torontotravel likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by puchong
I am happy for those who are finding useful redemptions in this latest PB list. For me personally, there is absolutely no reason to try and steer any new business towards IHG in a quest to gather more points.
I find that the accelerate program is great at accumulating massive amounts of points for cheap. I've gotten deals in the past where I only had to stay 2 nights and I'd rack up 40k pts. Even if I use those 40k pts at non pt break hotels, it's still a great bargain to me.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 1:47 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Okay now, during previous list, I posted this is ”the end”.
But now, while this list is not outright bad or useless, I correct my previous phrase into ”This is the end of frugal/smart travel”.

Enjoy your travels. It was nice while it lasted.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 2:04 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
Utterly pathetic. Same old dross at double and triple the cost. I've got better things to do.
I think we could go through the pointsbreaks threads for the last 3-4 years and find similar comments for every single pointsbreaks e.g. "worst list ever". The reality is that with inflation and a strong economy, the lists have gotten weaker over time. Still, getting a hotel near SFO or MIA or London Docklands for 15k a night is still a decent deal. Pointsbreaks is still much better than nothing, although I admit it is not as fun now that it is not a long list of 5k hotels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.