Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2017, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Wiki was copied from 2017 thread
Created WIKI Mar2017 purely to add the "new" IHG PB List URL as I can't find by screen navigation since IHG changed the reservation screens etc, and the old url if saved no longer works either.

Just got fed up trying to find , much easier to store in wiki, hope this helps others

Pointbeaks changed the amount of points needed: This is discussed in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-rewards-club-intercontinental-ambassador/1890423-point-breaks-now-5k-10-15k.html

This thread is about the discussion about the locations and the actual list, please use the thread above for discussions about the increased number of points needed for pointbreak redemptions.

SCUBACCR

Use this URL for "Live" PB Listing:
https://www.ihg.com/rewardsclub/content/us/en/redeem-rewards/pointbreaks.html

The PREVIEW list usually appears on IHG's blog first
https://blog.ihg.com/ihg-rewards-club-pointbreaks-preview
Print Wikipost

2018 Pointbreaks Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2018, 12:01 pm

Programs: KLM Gold, DL Silver
Originally Posted by Concerto
Yes, I hear you. I figure the one in Rome, which is probably what I will end up using, is going to be difficult to get to. They offer a limousine service to the airport, but at what cost I wonder. Do you have any idea how that would work? And yes, the cash rates seem pretty low.
A limousine? haha, i'd say 100-150 EUR
Old Jan 29, 2018, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by iggyray
I have two adults, and there's no such an option, just the comments.
Also, you were able to add the names going into the booking and modifying it. No "modify booking" link either.
Interesting. What property are you looking at?
Old Jan 29, 2018, 12:03 pm

Programs: KLM Gold, DL Silver
Originally Posted by hhoope01
You might want to recheck the Pointbreaks thread on this one.
I did. There are 2 adults, however there's no field for other people, also unable to modify the booking.
Doing this on chrome, so it might think I am a mobile user though. Will check when back home.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
See posts 280 and 283...
Not the only explanation, I made two bookings at one property the first time I had this option but not the second
after clicking search again it did show up the second time, so it seems it's a bug not a feature
Old Jan 29, 2018, 12:16 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum
And travelblogs are keeping the tune alive about how this is the best deal ever - are they on IHG's payroll?
not all travel blogs...a writer at The Points Guy expresses his disappointment as follows:

Update: Another disappointing PointBreaks list by IHG. While IHG did in fact double the number of hotels included on the PointBreaks list, it sharply dropped the number of hotels bookable at 5,000 points per night. Past lists included at least 100 hotels at the old 5,000 rate per night. This list includes just 33 hotels at 5,000 — a drop by at least 67%.
redreeper and Keyser like this.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 12:19 pm

Programs: IHG
Not one regular IHG poster in this thread.. that tells a story in itself.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, NWA,HHonors, Hyatt BF
I am clearly seeing the additional guest option on res. for 2 people.
I am also clearly seeing the cash + points costs going up for a 10k depending upon month of reservation ($30/$35/$40). I don't know if this was the case in the past. :/
Old Jan 29, 2018, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
PointBreaks came about out the recession, it makes some sense that the feature gets heavily diluted near the top of the business cycle. I am not pleased that the top of the redemption table moves up at the same time as the bottom effectively does though.

Even with the expanded list there is nothing that nicely fits my plans or offers enough value to modify them. I have stayed at five of the properties on the 10k/15k list, all at under $100 night. There might be some value in HIX Keystone - Mount Rushmore in shoulder season, though I stayed for $65/night in early November. Definitely check your redemption values before booking.

A difficult Accelerate offer changed my strategy to earn and burn this quarter, the PointBreaks devaluation makes me even less inclined to earn more points.
1flyer likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by Exiled in Express
PointBreaks came about out the recession, it makes some sense that the feature gets heavily diluted near the top of the business cycle. I am not pleased that the top of the redemption table moves up at the same time as the bottom effectively does though.

Even with the expanded list there is nothing that nicely fits my plans or offers enough value to modify them. I have stayed at five of the properties on the 10k/15k list, all at under $100 night. There might be some value in HIX Keystone - Mount Rushmore in shoulder season, though I stayed for $65/night in early November. Definitely check your redemption values before booking.

A difficult Accelerate offer changed my strategy to earn and burn this quarter, the PointBreaks devaluation makes me even less inclined to earn more points.
Nevermind. Realized I looked at tonight.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 12:31 pm

Programs: IHG
Lots of members who tend to only post quarterly on this Pointbreaks forum getting very upset. Maybe go back to your preferred loyalty scheme. This is the best list in years.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, NWA,HHonors, Hyatt BF
I have two adults, and there's no such an option, just the comments.
Also, you were able to add the names going into the booking and modifying it. No "modify booking" link either.
I had an option to add guest only during booking.
Completed reservation; no option, no modification. Only "stay preferences" available.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 12:42 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by turner32
Lots of members who tend to only post quarterly on this Pointbreaks forum getting very upset. Maybe go back to your preferred loyalty scheme. This is the best list in years.
I beg to differ. I guess I found here just about 3 years ago and the list up at that time was much better than this. And even at that time, old-timers were complaining that list back then was so mich worse than some 10 years ago or whatever time IC here and there
Old Jan 29, 2018, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by turner32
Funny. What's there to talk about on a pointbreaks thread other than quarterly when the new list comes out?
Old Jan 29, 2018, 12:48 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Today's list is weak weak considering that it's the first one -- this is not the big start with fireworks we had when PB first came out a decade ago (with ICs in Tokyo/London/etc) -- but frankly in line with what I'd expect a three-tiered list to look like in a normal quarter.

There are some decent hotels on there (happy to see ICs and Indigos!), but of course a lot of the 10k and 15k properties used to be on past PB lists as 5k, and there are very few >$150 places. I'm a little surprised that --at least for the first time of the three-tiered list-- they couldn't muster up more and better properties in Europe (during what's low season in most places) and Asia.

All that said, I think the game has fundamentally changed over the 10 years since PB was introduced. Occupancy rates are sky-high in many places, you have many more people chasing award rooms, there's a whole industry selling the cheap travel dream to the masses (and PB with its super cheap rooms is a huge selling tool for bloggers). Of course I don't like higher prices, but it's unrealistic to expect IHG to give us 5k rooms at a good selection of decent hotels in all eternity. Look at all the devaluations that have taken place over these 10 years -- points requirements have doubled or tripled for many hotels (at all chains), new tiers have been introduced (the fanciest ICs were 40k in 2007), and some programs have been completely gutted (Hilton). I think we had a great run with PB, and I hope that they stick around in this new format for a few more years.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 12:48 pm

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
Loyalty of Australian members obviously not important to this business

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.