Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2017, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Wiki was copied from 2017 thread
Created WIKI Mar2017 purely to add the "new" IHG PB List URL as I can't find by screen navigation since IHG changed the reservation screens etc, and the old url if saved no longer works either.

Just got fed up trying to find , much easier to store in wiki, hope this helps others

Pointbeaks changed the amount of points needed: This is discussed in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-rewards-club-intercontinental-ambassador/1890423-point-breaks-now-5k-10-15k.html

This thread is about the discussion about the locations and the actual list, please use the thread above for discussions about the increased number of points needed for pointbreak redemptions.

SCUBACCR

Use this URL for "Live" PB Listing:
https://www.ihg.com/rewardsclub/content/us/en/redeem-rewards/pointbreaks.html

The PREVIEW list usually appears on IHG's blog first
https://blog.ihg.com/ihg-rewards-club-pointbreaks-preview
Print Wikipost

2018 Pointbreaks Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2018, 9:11 am
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Originally Posted by travelbarefeet
I fail to see how this statement is even logical from an accounting perspective.

Example, you have 100 million IHG pts outstanding at a valuation of let's say 0.5 cents = $500k in liabilities.

(The 0.5 cents valuation is going to be the rate at which they pay the hotels upon redemption. I've heard $20 per pointbreak recemption? Not sure.)

Now how would devaluations reduce liabilities?
Iincreasing the number of points to redeem the same value of goods decreases the value of the points and therefore reduces the value of the points we hold in our accounts.

Very simplistically let’s pretend IHG has members with a million points sat in their accounts and 10,000 points redeems costing IHG $20 on average. The points therefore represent a liability owed by IHG to the membership of $2000 ($20x100). But IHG then increases the number of points to redeem to 20,000 for that same $20, meaning the debt owed by IHG to the membership is now only $1000 ($20x50). Hence the membership now represents a liability of only $1000.
redreeper likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 9:12 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
I really hope they don't start the pointbreaks in the shadows like some round ago where the new discounted points levels where started to pop up in the dark, not highlighted on the IHG list but already bookable by searching individually (i.e. by luck)
Old Jan 29, 2018, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by Sisyphus1carus
I wonder if the IHG website will buckle under the load ?!
This is possibly one of the reasons there hasn’t been a full preview. The new look site is flaky enough going by the other thread.
Sisyphus1carus likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by snevillio
I'll just jump in here while bored waiting for the lists to come... 100m IHG points would on average equate to 4000 redemptions (Assuming 25k points per redemption average) multiplied by that figure you mentioned so 4000 x $20 = $80,000 . If the average redemption rate goes up to 35k per redemption then the calculation would look like 100m / 35000 x $20 = $57k so thats how their liabilities would be reduced...
Yeah, I was under the assumption that not all redemptions are the same, i.e.. a

5k redemption = $20 to the hotels
10k redemption = $40 to the hotels

and so on and so forth.

Seems like you're going with the model that a:
60k redemption = $20 to the hotels
Old Jan 29, 2018, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by travelbarefeet
Yeah, I was under the assumption that not all redemptions are the same, i.e.. a

10k redemption = $40 to the hotels

and so on and so forth.

Seems like you're going with the model that a:
60k redemption = $20 to the hotels

The hotel's revenue for a PB is no different than a normal points booking. I don't believe they are even aware how many points the customer paid. The hotel simply gets paid based ontheir normal points formula either way, i.e. a marginal amount (I've seen $32 on a folio accidentally given to me) unless the hotel is nearly full, then something close to their average rate.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by stets
The hotel's revenue for a PB is no different than a normal points booking. I don't believe they are even aware how many points the customer paid. The hotel simply gets paid based ontheir normal points formula either way, i.e. a marginal amount (I've seen $32 on a folio accidentally given to me) unless the hotel is nearly full, then something close to their average rate.
This. Low occupancy and hotel gets very little from IHG. High occupancy and hotel is compensated appropriately.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by stets
Yes, and from an accounting perspective, they would have a book value on each point, whatever it is. And I don't think this book value changes year after year, despite devaluations.

If the book value is 0.5cents per point, I don't think they reevaluate it after every devaluation. For instance, with these new pointbreaks, I don't think they go in and reassess the value to 0.47 cents per point.

There are accounting standards that have to be followed. If a company had $600 million in liabilities due to their outstanding pts, I don't know if they can just wipe out all that liability simply by a devaluation. If they could, then they can just raise pt redemptions to astronomical levels, say 1 million pts to stay at a hotel. This would wipe out all their $600 million in liabilities.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 9:40 am

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Best Western Diamond Selec
Originally Posted by boonkoh
ut how long does Points.com take to post? The T&Cs say up to 72 hours - is it usually instant though?

For example you get 35000 points for $250, so paying 0.7c per point.
So a 5000 redemption would cost $35.70
a 10000 redemption would cost $71.43
and a 15000 redemption would cost $107.10

Could still be good value compared to the original cash rates, if there are some good IC properties in the PB sale.
up to 100% bonus in Oct, it had same t&c, but my order got credited after around 24hrs.

They didn't publish a complete preview this time around, I decided to wait till today. In Oct, I was able to plan how much points I should buy, but it's not possible this time. If my travel destinations are close to listed hotels, then I go buy points, then hopefully they're still available when I get points. I know, I have 0 chance grabbing popular properties, but 75% bonus wasn't attractive for me.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 9:42 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mster
This. Low occupancy and hotel gets very little from IHG. High occupancy and hotel is compensated appropriately.
Last month Loyaltylobby posted the rates that hotels get reimbursed

https://loyaltylobby.com/2017/12/01/...ewards-nights/
Old Jan 29, 2018, 9:45 am

Programs: AA, Delta, NWA,HHonors, Hyatt BF
I'm going to wait and see what the offerings are before forming an opinion on the new structure.
I would like to see a decent sampling of 5k redemptions, and in the past I have not been too disappointed by the list. I never expect to see prime vacation spots or properties (place where i would consider prime, anyway) for 5k.
But with the new structure, maybe there will be some prime locations at a reduced redemption rate. And if this in addition to, and not of in lieu of, a sizable offering of 5k properties, it would be very nice.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by Concerto
Has anyone got the right link for Pointbreaks that we should be clicking on every 15 seconds?
I only know this one:

https://www.ihg.com/rewardsclub/cont...HGBLOG-PREVIEW
Old Jan 29, 2018, 9:57 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Virgin Gold
One hotel on the preview list has reduced points - might be all live
Old Jan 29, 2018, 9:57 am

Programs: AA, Delta, NWA,HHonors, Hyatt BF
I'm getting reduced points numbers now in NJ.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 9:58 am

Just booked Helsinki
Old Jan 29, 2018, 10:01 am

Nothing useful for me Wanted New Zealand North Island (Auckland or Rotorua)

EDIT: Full list is now up. Nothing at all for New Zealand. Very poor considering you have said there are over 200 hotels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.