Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2017, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Wiki was copied from 2017 thread
Created WIKI Mar2017 purely to add the "new" IHG PB List URL as I can't find by screen navigation since IHG changed the reservation screens etc, and the old url if saved no longer works either.

Just got fed up trying to find , much easier to store in wiki, hope this helps others

Pointbeaks changed the amount of points needed: This is discussed in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-rewards-club-intercontinental-ambassador/1890423-point-breaks-now-5k-10-15k.html

This thread is about the discussion about the locations and the actual list, please use the thread above for discussions about the increased number of points needed for pointbreak redemptions.

SCUBACCR

Use this URL for "Live" PB Listing:
https://www.ihg.com/rewardsclub/content/us/en/redeem-rewards/pointbreaks.html

The PREVIEW list usually appears on IHG's blog first
https://blog.ihg.com/ihg-rewards-club-pointbreaks-preview
Print Wikipost

2018 Pointbreaks Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2018, 7:24 am

Not seen any price change in the hotel I was hoping to book.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 7:26 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
Without a list, a lot of hotels will probably change price way before we get a list, as per usual so it will be very interesting to see what is available once we actually get the list.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 8:08 am

Well on the preview site the Staybridge Suites in Fargo is listed as a 15K point "Break" stay. This hotel is normally a $85/night hotel with a 20K points stay. Doesn't seem like much of a break to me. Besides who wants to stay in Fargo in the winter?
bbriscoe34 and Sisyphus1carus like this.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by chongcao
They have to keep it going as long as the main competitors (Hilton and Marriott) have any similar redemption programme going.

Plus with so many reward currency issued through points purchases, new credit cards and tri-annually accelerators, IHG needs its members to redeem in order to reduce liabilities. High redemption rates would defer members spending their reward currency. Incentive needed such as PB.

IHG does care. Except what they care is from a different angle from ours. We want better hotels at cheap rates, they want revenue, profit, reduced liabilities through redemption faster as well as shorter cycle for member to earn and burn.
I'm a little confused by this. What's your rationale in thinking that IHG wants/needs members to redeem their points? I would have thought it's the complete opposite, but I don't understand which liabilities that you reference.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 8:14 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Is the new list out already?
Old Jan 29, 2018, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by Flamenguista
I'm a little confused by this. What's your rationale in thinking that IHG wants/needs members to redeem their points? I would have thought it's the complete opposite, but I don't understand which liabilities that you reference.
Points are listed as a liability for the hotel group/airline/etc. on the accounting balance sheet.

https://www.bna.com/airline-frequent...-n73014463438/
Old Jan 29, 2018, 8:30 am

Programs: IHG Spire Elite Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Aegan Gold, British Airways Bronze
Yes, and devaluations are ways to reduce the liabilities. So, they can either encourage users to use them, devalue the points or change the expiration date rules.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 8:43 am

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.
Originally Posted by boonkoh
I posted on the (smaller) other thread about the upcoming PointsBreak, but realised this thread is more active.

Can I get an opinion if the points+cash will be a good deal? I have 30k points but need to book three separate stays over the next month or two, so in the unlikely scenario I find decent PB for all three stays, I might be short of points.

Also is there a way to purchase points quickly and cheaply, if I spot a great PB and need more than 30k points?

I think (haven't double-checked) that there's currently a 75% bonus on buying points direct from IHG.
Sorry if I am mistaken.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by Sisyphus1carus
I think (haven't double-checked) that there's currently a 75% bonus on buying points direct from IHG.
Sorry if I am mistaken.
There is indeed a 75% points buying bonus!

But how long does Points.com take to post? The T&Cs say up to 72 hours - is it usually instant though?

For example you get 35000 points for $250, so paying 0.7c per point.
So a 5000 redemption would cost $35.70
a 10000 redemption would cost $71.43
and a 15000 redemption would cost $107.10

Could still be good value compared to the original cash rates, if there are some good IC properties in the PB sale.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 8:50 am

Ughh. The IHG site's new hotel search is the absolute worst kind of mobile-only garbage. Any way to force the site to display points + cash rates on the hotel list search view?
Keyser likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 8:58 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by mster
Ughh. The IHG site's new hotel search is the absolute worst kind of mobile-only garbage. Any way to force the site to display points + cash rates on the hotel list search view?
Agreed, I am nto sure why they changed from the old system. This new one is absolute garbage.
Keyser and Sisyphus1carus like this.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by milgom
Yes, and devaluations are ways to reduce the liabilities.
I fail to see how this statement is even logical from an accounting perspective.

Example, you have 100 million IHG pts outstanding at a valuation of let's say 0.5 cents = $500k in liabilities.

(The 0.5 cents valuation is going to be the rate at which they pay the hotels upon redemption. I've heard $20 per pointbreak recemption? Not sure.)

Now how would devaluations reduce liabilities?
Old Jan 29, 2018, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Originally Posted by mster
I agree. Checking with the app now, and it's totally dire. I wrote elsewhere that I thought it was a lot better than the site itself, but I'm not so sure. And it just quit on me.

(Just to divert myself, this is my 5,555th post!)

Last edited by Concerto; Jan 29, 2018 at 9:09 am Reason: added fact
Old Jan 29, 2018, 9:02 am

Programs: IHG Platinum / HHonors Diamond / Hyatt Globalist / AA EX Platinum
Originally Posted by travelbarefeet
I fail to see how this statement is even logical from an accounting perspective.

Example, you have 100 million IHG pts outstanding at a valuation of let's say 0.5 cents = $500k in liabilities.

(The 0.5 cents valuation is going to be the rate at which they pay the hotels upon redemption. I've heard $20 per pointbreak recemption? Not sure.)

You answered your own question. Devalued to .45 cents would become 450k in liabilities(using your example above), or 50k less.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 9:05 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Virgin Gold
Originally Posted by travelbarefeet

I'll just jump in here while bored waiting for the lists to come... 100m IHG points would on average equate to 4000 redemptions (Assuming 25k points per redemption average) multiplied by that figure you mentioned so 4000 x $20 = $80,000 . If the average redemption rate goes up to 35k per redemption then the calculation would look like 100m / 35000 x $20 = $57k so thats how their liabilities would be reduced...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.