FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   2018 Pointbreaks Discussion Thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/1885423-2018-pointbreaks-discussion-thread.html)

jxd Jan 26, 2018 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by minz56 (Post 29344264)
I've done an analysis of the IC and CP hotels that have been pre-advised by IHG as being in the next PB promotion. For each one there are four figures:

1. PB cost, 5K, 10K or 15K
2. Normal points required for an award
3. Cheapest cash stay for a random date (I chose 11/12 April). Obviously rates can vary over the period of the promotion but I hope this gives an indication
4. Cash value of PB cost based on MY valuation of IHG Rewards Points which is $5/1000. Actually I have been accumulating points at under $5/1000 but $5 seems like a nice round figure.

All $ costings are in US Dollars.

IC Cali 10K / 25K / $137 / $50
IC Sao Paolo 15K / 35K / $229 / $75
IC Kiev 15K / 30K / $343 / $75

CP Tianjin 5K / 20K / $82 / $25
CP Antalya 5K / 20K / $21 / $25
CP Vientiane 10K / 25K / $87 / $50
CP Belgrade 10K / 20K / $138 / $50
CP Hiroshima 15K / 30K / $125 / $75
CP Abu Dhabi 15K / 30K / $124 / $75
CP Arlington TX 15K / 30K / $163 / $75

As you can see all PB offers are at least 50% off the normal points rate, but the $ comparisons tell a different story with all the IC's offering great value, with the CP hotels being more mixed.

Looking forward to the full list and fingers crossed for a hotel in Singapore!

hopefully the indigo katong will be on the list! Even better the ICs but not getting my hopes up ;)

miadukes Jan 26, 2018 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by travelbarefeet (Post 29344005)
Anyways, back to discussing IHG pointbreaks.....

One thing that worries me about the full list coming out on Monday is that people will just speculatively book rooms and the inventory will dry out quickly before we get a chance to make any plans.

Agreed, with literally minutes to make plans, I will admit to maybe having to make on of those. I pretty much have all my travel sorted for the next three months, thi list should take us into end of april right? I am just hoping I find something I can use or see somethign of great vale I can do in a weekend to explore more places.
Raelly do wish the list was released early, planning trips on the spot at work is not the ideal :D

Concerto Jan 26, 2018 11:35 pm

Maybe they will learn from the experience of this time, if everything suddenly gets booked out and later people cancel lots of rooms. I personally would like to be reassured that these rates are still refundable.

FFlash Jan 27, 2018 1:33 am

So the pointbreaks essentially have become a "50% off select" campaign. Maybe they will re-name "pointbreaks" too?

The_Bouncer Jan 27, 2018 1:59 am

Originally Posted by FFlash (Post 29345228)
So the pointbreaks essentially have become a "50% off select" campaign. Maybe they will re-name "pointbreaks" too?

This is what I fear - that PBs will become a version of Marriott Point Savers.

I don't really think anyone can deny that the PB lists have become progressively poorer in the last few years. This has led to many people (myself included) moaning and honking about it.

IHG has now responded in exactly the same way as British Airways did when people complained about the diminishing quality and quantity of their free catering on short-haul flights. Did they improve it? No. They brought in Buy-on-Board. Don't like the free stuff? Here's something (slighty) better (holding out the credit card swiper).

I fear this is the precise equivalent. Reduce a benefit to the level where people start complaining about it, then you have an excuse to get rid of it and replace it with something more expensive.

I am trying to keep an open mind about this, at least until I have seen the first few lists, but unfortunately I, like many others, have become accustomed to the expectation that "changes" or "enhancements" to any hotel or airline program very rarely result in a net benefit to the consumer.

I fear we have made a rod for our own backs on this forum, and I am as guilty of this as anyone else.

FLYGVA Jan 27, 2018 2:43 am

Fellow Flyertalkers,

I would appreciate if you could behave like civilised persons and not like third world dictators who do not allow any other opinion than their own!
I have deleted all posts which are personal and / or attacked as well as those repsonding to these posts.

FLYGVA
moderator IHG Forum

Concerto Jan 27, 2018 7:00 am

I also see a similarity with the Air France KLM Flying Blue FFP, which used to have amazing award saver offers for 50% less miles on a regular basis. Gradually most of these dropped down to 25% and now the reduction is as often little as 20% with few or no business class offers. It’s just been diluted away until the offers are a shadow of their former selves. The kickback is that the taxes are lower than they used to be.

The IHG kickback, apparently, is better hotels in better places, places that actually could be useful. I personally am surprised that IHG kept this promotion going, because they really don’t seem to care about anything.

The_Bouncer Jan 27, 2018 7:43 am

Originally Posted by Concerto (Post 29345762)
I also see a similarity with the Air France KLM Flying Blue FFP, which used to have amazing award saver offers for 50% less miles on a regular basis. Gradually most of these dropped down to 25% and now the reduction is as often little as 20% with few or no business class offers. It’s just been diluted away until the offers are a shadow of their former selves. The kickback is that the taxes are lower than they used to be.

The IHG kickback, apparently, is better hotels in better places, places that actually could be useful. I personally am surprised that IHG kept this promotion going, because they really don’t seem to care about anything.

Flying Blue is also a good comparison. It's a common tactic - gradually erode a benefit, until people start noticing that it's a shadow of it's former self. Then gut it and hope people think they are not losing much.

As for keeping PBs going, are they really? Or is it going to be something completely different, just with the old name?

username Jan 27, 2018 3:21 pm

There used to be this other thing - like a monthly lower redemption special for some hotels? I think that was discontinued, right?

FlyerTalker688786 Jan 27, 2018 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by username (Post 29347146)
There used to be this other thing - like a monthly lower redemption special for some hotels? I think that was discontinued, right?

I believe you are thinking of Caribbean (including Florida) 50% redemption promotion.

FlyerTalker688786 Jan 27, 2018 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by FFlash (Post 29345228)

Not yet. At least this list we have hotels in 5,000 category that normally requires 20,000 or 10,000 category normally requires 25,000.

I think we need to see what happens in this full list and next 2 quarters too. With so many eyes watching, I think IHG would not rush to make PB into a 50% bonanza.

FlyerTalker688786 Jan 27, 2018 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by Concerto (Post 29345762)
I personally am surprised that IHG kept this promotion going, because they really don’t seem to care about anything.

They have to keep it going as long as the main competitors (Hilton and Marriott) have any similar redemption programme going.

Plus with so many reward currency issued through points purchases, new credit cards and tri-annually accelerators, IHG needs its members to redeem in order to reduce liabilities. High redemption rates would defer members spending their reward currency. Incentive needed such as PB.

IHG does care. Except what they care is from a different angle from ours. We want better hotels at cheap rates, they want revenue, profit, reduced liabilities through redemption faster as well as shorter cycle for member to earn and burn.

Jaimito Cartero Jan 27, 2018 3:55 pm

They had Mexico at 50% off for awhile.

chrism20 Jan 27, 2018 4:33 pm

Yes it was called “Last minute rewards” and was a selection of hotels at half price on the first full weekend of the month.

Sadly it’s long gone.

beltway Jan 27, 2018 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by chongcao (Post 29347193)
They have to keep it going as long as the main competitors (Hilton and Marriott) have any similar redemption programme going.

What similar offering does Hilton have? They stopped doing Point Stretchers six years ago (and without any announcement before or after the fact).