Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2017, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Wiki was copied from 2017 thread
Created WIKI Mar2017 purely to add the "new" IHG PB List URL as I can't find by screen navigation since IHG changed the reservation screens etc, and the old url if saved no longer works either.

Just got fed up trying to find , much easier to store in wiki, hope this helps others

Pointbeaks changed the amount of points needed: This is discussed in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-rewards-club-intercontinental-ambassador/1890423-point-breaks-now-5k-10-15k.html

This thread is about the discussion about the locations and the actual list, please use the thread above for discussions about the increased number of points needed for pointbreak redemptions.

SCUBACCR

Use this URL for "Live" PB Listing:
https://www.ihg.com/rewardsclub/content/us/en/redeem-rewards/pointbreaks.html

The PREVIEW list usually appears on IHG's blog first
https://blog.ihg.com/ihg-rewards-club-pointbreaks-preview
Print Wikipost

2018 Pointbreaks Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2018, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by 1flyer
Considering the next round starts tomorrow, it's awefully quiet around here!
I have the same impression that there used to be much more noise before the release date. PB release date was marked in my calendar because there was a chance to make an extraordinary deal. With the new 3-level structure the character of the promotion changed to good value for money discount program. You can get an discount but not a steal. Thats why for me the excitement is gone and probably a lot of others people too. Less excitement is less interested is less noise and I'm still not sure if this is wise from a marketing point of view. Would I trade in an USP (which the "old" PB program was) for some more flexibility to the hotels?
Old Nov 25, 2018, 3:01 pm

I suppose with no preview there is nothing to tear to shreds.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 3:43 pm

Programs: Priority Club Platinum Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold

Where are the inevitable calls that points breaks is deader than dead? The worst list ever is there to come, this is the final straw which will finally lead me to say goodbye to IHG, who needs a list where all redemption opportunities are in places like Mongolia, when will the minimum requirement be raised to 10k, another three months of crappy offers, it was nice while it lasted, etc. etc.
Just wait till IHG members spend their points , then will be much more quiet here.
At least this is my strategy. I will not collect 50 000 - 70 000 pts for just one night somewhere. The PB deal add some value to the worthless IHG points, but not anymore.
The only winners from this development are some royal ambassador members that have 1 000 000 - 2 000 000 pts and now they can spend them for 15 000 points IC properties and get the RA perks.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 3:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson
But 15k points today is basically identical to 5k points a few years ago. 10k points cost like EUR 40 = USD 45 once or twice a year. And guess what, the rates at many IHG properties whose prices I follow (more-or-less) have gone up by about that amount over the last few years.

So, little has changed.
Flamenguista likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue

I was thinking the same, and had almost forgotten about it myself because somehow all the Black Friday excitement eclipsed it. But I'm going to be stuffed tomorrow, because I have a coaching in the afternoon followed by a 2 hour train journey and the another 4 hours of rehearsals. Won't get home until very late. So I sure hope you all get something out of it this time round!
Old Nov 25, 2018, 5:48 pm

what time tomorrow is the list expected to come out?
Old Nov 25, 2018, 10:52 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by terrydude
what time tomorrow is the list expected to come out?
If timing is the same as normal, I suspect it will be 12PM New York time IIRC
Old Nov 26, 2018, 1:30 am

Originally Posted by Yokdoc
PB release date was marked in my calendar because there was a chance to make an extraordinary deal. With the new 3-level structure the character of the promotion changed to good value for money discount program. You can get an discount but not a steal. Thats why for me the excitement is gone and probably a lot of others people too. Less excitement is less interested is less noise
My thoughts exactly. Still some good deals to be had, but it used to be a lottery every 3 months, where a few hotels were practically free. Several times I stayed up most of the night for this promotion when I was in Asia. I wouldn't bother with that now.

That said, they have inflated the value of these points away so much that 10k is very close to what 5k was even a few years ago. The only real losers in this ate the people who had a bunch of points saved, or the people who earn through stays.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 5:18 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by stets
My thoughts exactly. Still some good deals to be had, but it used to be a lottery every 3 months, where a few hotels were practically free. Several times I stayed up most of the night for this promotion when I was in Asia. I wouldn't bother with that now.

That said, they have inflated the value of these points away so much that 10k is very close to what 5k was even a few years ago. The only real losers in this ate the people who had a bunch of points saved, or the people who earn through stays.
Exactly, if something was £5 8-10 years ago in say 2010, you'd expect a yearly creep, and to be £10 in 2018 and no one complaining

As such why all the rage with IHG changing 5k PB to a 10k PB in line with 8years or so of inflation. As such not a devaluation in my mind.

Not only that, but with inflation, each paid night costs more $$'s in 2018 than 2010 so more points accrue per night so more 5k PB's got snapped up, let alone spires who now earn 33% more points per $$, so where it took 3,333pts + 50% bonus to earn 5k, it now costs 2500 + 100% Spire bonus to earn 5k points.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 8:02 am

Is it me, or is it very odd that IHG isn't announcing this at all? Not even a Twitter mention. As far as I can tell they only told a single blogger (loyalty lobby), and that's the only reason we know the PB is happening today.

It's their promotion, shouldn't they be... promoting... it?
Old Nov 26, 2018, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I can’t believe there’s been no news yet. I managed to log in while sitting on a Swiss postbus, somewhere in the Valais Alps, and there’s no excitement! That’s great, means I can play my long rehearsal without worrying about it!!
Old Nov 26, 2018, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by scubaccr
Exactly, if something was £5 8-10 years ago in say 2010, you'd expect a yearly creep, and to be £10 in 2018 and no one complaining

As such why all the rage with IHG changing 5k PB to a 10k PB in line with 8years or so of inflation. As such not a devaluation in my mind.

Not only that, but with inflation, each paid night costs more $$'s in 2018 than 2010 so more points accrue per night so more 5k PB's got snapped up, let alone spires who now earn 33% more points per $$, so where it took 3,333pts + 50% bonus to earn 5k, it now costs 2500 + 100% Spire bonus to earn 5k points.
I think the devaluation is more the "discount" you get on PB, when it was only 5K - anything more than 10 will yield amazing value. However since the 3 tier system starts I do see hotels that are on 15k that costs normally at around 20-25k. Yes the discount is there but it's not as bombastic as it used to be.

I actually cancelled my HI Hamburg reservation and stay with Starriott (need 2 nights to re-qualify PP), and I have already made my 45 nights with IHG and more importantly - I can opt for free breakfast at the hotel and the rate was only 77 EUR per night (weekend rate in North of Hamburg - perfect for us because we are driving anyway and there are street parking). If I can get a room for 77 EUR then 10k point + parking is getting close to that price.

We have a trip to AZ in December so let's see if anything comes up.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by Concerto
I can’t believe there’s been no news yet. I managed to log in while sitting on a Swiss postbus, somewhere in the Valais Alps, and there’s no excitement! That’s great, means I can play my long rehearsal without worrying about it!!
Different bit of Switzerland for me, but I'm amazed it's so quiet. Nobody seems to care any more. I didn't even think about it either until today.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 9:50 am

Programs: TK*G, LH FT, Hilton Gold, IC Ambassador
Communication

Originally Posted by stets
Is it me, or is it very odd that IHG isn't announcing this at all? Not even a Twitter mention. As far as I can tell they only told a single blogger (loyalty lobby), and that's the only reason we know the PB is happening today.

It's their promotion, shouldn't they be... promoting... it?
Not surprised at all. Communication, and marketing is not IHG's strong point. Infact, they are pretty useless at both. Disjointed messages across media, or no messages at all, buggy website/app. Really surprised they never got their act together in this regard over the years. Not that its a big deal - its more self harmful and limiting for their bottom line than a problem for guests.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 10:00 am

Programs: TK Elite, QR Gold
its noon EST. Nothing yet...NADA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.