2018 Pointbreaks Discussion Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 29, 18, 4:23 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: FLYGVA
Wiki Link
Wiki was copied from 2017 thread
Created WIKI Mar2017 purely to add the "new" IHG PB List URL as I can't find by screen navigation since IHG changed the reservation screens etc, and the old url if saved no longer works either.

Just got fed up trying to find , much easier to store in wiki, hope this helps others

Pointbeaks changed the amount of points needed: This is discussed in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inte...5k-10-15k.html

This thread is about the discussion about the locations and the actual list, please use the thread above for discussions about the increased number of points needed for pointbreak redemptions.

SCUBACCR

Use this URL for "Live" PB Listing:
https://www.ihg.com/rewardsclub/cont...intbreaks.html

The PREVIEW list usually appears on IHG's blog first
https://blog.ihg.com/ihg-rewards-clu...breaks-preview
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 14, 18, 9:15 am

Programs: AAdvantage, BAEC, Avios, Alaska, SAS Eurobonus, DL Skymiles, IHG Priority, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by davem4 View Post
I'd say that the overlap between cyber monday and pointbreak release is the perfect time for them to discontinue the pointbreak program :-P
I don't think they will discontinue it completely. I can see it being further watered down, but I think it will be a slow death rather than the rug being suddenly pulled out.

The 5k list will go first, then the 10k list will comprise solely $80 HIXs in the boondocks or basic HIs in low priced Eastern cities (pretty much there already).

15k will be the new level. In fact I would not be at all surprised if this new 3-tier structure was only ever intended as a stepping stone in the process of raising the PB cost to 15k.
Old Nov 14, 18, 12:28 pm

Programs: MSC (Miles Slut Club); Cunard- Diamond 300+; Princess- Elite 200+; Royal Caribbean- Diamond; QF LTG
Originally Posted by The_Bouncer View Post
I don't think they will discontinue it completely. I can see it being further watered down, but I think it will be a slow death rather than the rug being suddenly pulled out.

The 5k list will go first, then the 10k list will comprise solely $80 HIXs in the boondocks or basic HIs in low priced Eastern cities (pretty much there already).

15k will be the new level. In fact I would not be at all surprised if this new 3-tier structure was only ever intended as a stepping stone in the process of raising the PB cost to 15k.
If 5K level is to go, IHG will at least have 4-6 quarters of new level at 7.5K to do a compromise. Jump from 5K directly to 15K or even 10K would be too much. It is very likely the ordinary redemption at 10K would be slowly raised to 12.5K or even 15K. Then a future PB at 7.5K/10K/17.5K would be coming maybe in 2020-2021.

Even worse, PB can be transformed into a 30-60% redemption discount programme while advertising 'start from 5K'...

To me, I hope PB does not change at all in 2019. In fact, if there is a recession coming, IHG may be more generous than what we have feared.
Old Nov 14, 18, 1:36 pm

Programs: IHG
Historically, IHG has often had a November/End of year sale. It has never before resulted in the end of Pointbreaks, and I'd wager that this will be the same result, this year.
Old Nov 14, 18, 2:35 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, BAEC, Avios, Alaska, SAS Eurobonus, DL Skymiles, IHG Priority, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by chongcao View Post
Even worse, PB can be transformed into a 30-60% redemption discount programme while advertising 'start from 5K'...
This could be a very likely result.
Old Nov 14, 18, 2:36 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Lot of speculation here. Let's just wait and see what they offer us this time. And let's fact it, the last list wasn't that bad, compared to recent previous ones. Stop giving them wicked ideas!
Old Nov 14, 18, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by Concerto View Post
Lot of speculation here. Let's just wait and see what they offer us this time. And let's fact it, the last list wasn't that bad, compared to recent previous ones. Stop giving them wicked ideas!
Good point. The last list was at least encouraging. Although I personally only got two pretty low value nights, it was good to see some options returning.
Old Nov 14, 18, 2:43 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I didn't get anything, but I'm not complaining. These have only worked best when I have a US road trip planned, or I am over there with a bit of unplanned driving around to do. I did get a very redemption at the HIX in Porto, Portugal, in June 2017. That was an excellent stay when the stars simply aligned (although I had to break off in the middle of a double-bass class to effect the bookings).
Old Nov 14, 18, 2:49 pm

The US road trips are definitely the place to use PBs. I'm on one at the moment and picked up two nights at the HIX Schaumburg Rolling Meadows for flights in and out of ORD.

I could also have had 5 nights at a Candlewood in Miami at 10k if I had been willing to accept a non-smoking room without a balcony (I wasn't, so I booked an independent motel instead).
Old Nov 20, 18, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA/AA
IHG PointsBreak list will go live on Monday, November 26th

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/ihg-p...november-26th/
Old Nov 21, 18, 6:21 am

Programs: TK E+, DL platinum
Originally Posted by jaymar01 View Post
IHG PointsBreak list will go live on Monday, November 26th

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/ihg-p...november-26th/
Do we know when the preview comes out? most probably this friday?
Old Nov 21, 18, 10:48 am

Do we know if it's a 2-month or 3-month list this time?
Old Nov 21, 18, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Coincidentally, I just got an email from IHG announcing a 100% bonus when purchasing points. Don't know if it's a targeted offer, but it is valid through 11/30/18 -- enough time to see if there is anything desirable on either the preview list (if there is one, this time around), or on the full list, once it goes live.

Buying IHG points with a 100% bonus is also a good way to meet minimum-spend requirements for sign-up bonuses on credit cards.
Old Nov 25, 18, 8:17 am

Programs: M&S, Radisson
Considering the next round starts tomorrow, it's awefully quiet around here!

Where are the inevitable calls that points breaks is deader than dead? The worst list ever is there to come, this is the final straw which will finally lead me to say goodbye to IHG, who needs a list where all redemption opportunities are in places like Mongolia, when will the minimum requirement be raised to 10k, another three months of crappy offers, it was nice while it lasted, etc. etc.
Old Nov 25, 18, 8:35 am

Programs: IHG Spire
Big holiday weekend in the USA so lots of folks there are still hip deep in turkey, relatives, and family insanity and getting ready to head home today rather than FTing.

I suspect that for some, the HIX in the Inner Mongolian Autonomous Zone is starting to sound good because they know that the annoying Uncle Ed and his constant political ranting doesn't have the right visa to follow folks to there and continue the rant.
Old Nov 25, 18, 9:49 am

Programs: Hilton - Diamond; SPG/Marriott - Gold
Hoping for a multitude of Colorado properties this time as I make our winter travel plans!

Search this Thread