FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   2018 Pointbreaks Discussion Thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/1885423-2018-pointbreaks-discussion-thread.html)

Wanderlust888 Sep 24, 2018 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by Vlieger (Post 30239824)
A rewards night booking in CP Berlin Potsdamerplatz shows under the conditions "Non refundable"! Is this a new condition for Pointbreaks or is it a mistake?! (also for points&cash)

I think it's a Berlin thing, they like to put 14 day or 21 day cancellation deadlines on cash rates and also redemptions

db1234db1234 Sep 24, 2018 1:02 pm

How convenient is HIX Wandsworth for touring London? I’ve been to London before so think I can manage London’s tube and train stations. Just looking for first hand knowledge of the area and ease of travel. It looks like I’d have to take a train, then the tube to get into central London. I stayed at HI Mayfair last time so got spoiled by that location (full points, not PB).

While a pretty good PB list, the lack of previews sure makes planning tough especially with possible flights.

I haven’t seen anyone mention the IC Landmark72 yet but that’s a great hotel in Hanoi. A bit out of the touristy area being in an office tower but still a great hotel.

chrism20 Sep 24, 2018 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by db1234db1234 (Post 30240536)
How convenient is HIX Wandsworth for touring London? I’ve been to London before so think I can manage London’s tube and train stations. Just looking for first hand knowledge of the area and ease of travel. It looks like I’d have to take a train, then the tube to get into central London. I stayed at HI Mayfair last time so got spoiled by that location (full points, not PB).

While a pretty good PB list, the lack of previews sure makes planning tough especially with possible flights.

I haven’t seen anyone mention the IC Landmark72 yet but that’s a great hotel in Hanoi. A bit out of the touristy area being in an office tower but still a great hotel.

Wandsworth Town railway station is less than five minutes from the hotel and there are trains approximately every ten minutes to Waterloo. Journey time is approximately twelve minutes.

I stayed there a couple of years ago, it was ok. There is a petrol station pretty much next door and a McDonalds along the street. There was a nice pub down by the river which done decent food.

Residential and industrial units in the area along with the council tip IIRC

Klimt Sep 24, 2018 2:19 pm

Wow, I was thinking about going to Vietnam in November and IC Landmark72 fits perfectly!

Quite a few nice hotels in Point Breaks this time, I must say!

Raffles Sep 24, 2018 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by chrism20 (Post 30240551)
Wandsworth Town railway station is less than five minutes from the hotel and there are trains approximately every ten minutes to Waterloo. Journey time is approximately twelve minutes.

I stayed there a couple of years ago, it was ok. There is a petrol station pretty much next door and a McDonalds along the street. There was a nice pub down by the river which done decent food.

Residential and industrial units in the area along with the council tip IIRC

It is a little bizarre. It looks exceptionally central but kind of isn't :-) Phenomenally expensive Roche Bobois furniture shop sits next to a McDonalds which is opposite the petrol station which is attached to the hotel. Great tip though, it's where we take all our trash that the binmen won't take. Upside is that an Uber to/from the centre is manageable and it is Zone 2 for tube / train tickets. If you're under 30 try Bunga Bunga in Battersea for your evening entertainment.

More seriously, directly next to Wandsworth Town station is a parade of decent shopping which seems a world away from the traffic chaos 30 seconds away.

FonzieBone Sep 24, 2018 2:48 pm

Snagged Potsdamer Platz for 3 nights and Hamburg Nord for 1. I've never been to Hamburg Nord (usually stay at CP City Alster), but it looks nice, close to an SBahn, and supposedly there's parking.

QO in Amsterdam would be an insane value. Not in the works for me, but it's an attractive property.

Edit: Potsdamer Platz goes non-refundable at -7 days for me.

travelbarefeet Sep 24, 2018 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by The_Bouncer (Post 30240031)
Well, it looks like IHG has finally been doing some listening. This is a lot better than the last two offerings.

I got 2 x 5k nights at Rolling Meadows Schaumburg for pre- and post-flight (ORD) stays, allowing me to cancel 2 stays at the nearby Candlewood (one for 15k and one for $105). Overall, a very good deal. Hopefully I can score a balcony room.

I did consider the Candlewood at MIA for 10k for a 5 night stay, but decided against it because it's all non-smoking and I have a smoking room booked at an ok-looking motel with decent reviews for $70 a night.

I might have used Cape Town, if only it had come up in the next round (I have 8 nights there in December).

After the bagging I have given IHG in recent months, I have to say I am actually reasonably impressed this time.

Sounds like your opinion of the list is based on whether you can find anything of use to you

This time you did. Congrats!

veeRob Sep 24, 2018 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by 1flyer (Post 30239965)
I think IC Kiew is an attractive option, cash rates are usually very high. IC Bucharest and Ljubljana are good, too.

IC Kiev is a great property. I stayed here for 8 nights when it was a 5k PB hotel and loved my stay.

Richey66 Sep 24, 2018 4:39 pm

I just bought 5000 points for a pointbreak, but to my unpleasant surprise it was not instant at all as with Hyatt or Hilton. When can I expect points on my account any idea, can it really take 72 hours?

stigs Sep 24, 2018 5:37 pm

No shortage of quality offerings on this list.

Bizarre how all six Canadian properties are in Alberta (three in Calgary, two in Edmonton, one in Grande Prairie).

Snagged four nights at HIX Calgary for 15K/night, half the normal 30K rate. Great central location.

The_Bouncer Sep 24, 2018 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by travelbarefeet (Post 30241040)

Sounds like your opinion of the list is based on whether you can find anything of use to you

This time you did. Congrats!

Not completely. I only ended up with two nights. However, I can see that there are quite a few decent options around this time around.

username Sep 24, 2018 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by Raffles (Post 30240833)
It is a little bizarre. It looks exceptionally central but kind of isn't :-) Phenomenally expensive Roche Bobois furniture shop sits next to a McDonalds which is opposite the petrol station which is attached to the hotel. Great tip though, it's where we take all our trash that the binmen won't take. Upside is that an Uber to/from the centre is manageable and it is Zone 2 for tube / train tickets. If you're under 30 try Bunga Bunga in Battersea for your evening entertainment.

More seriously, directly next to Wandsworth Town station is a parade of decent shopping which seems a world away from the traffic chaos 30 seconds away.

I am going to London in November. I booked the Doubletree in Greenwich but now this came up. Obviously the Doubletree is a better hotel but people say the rooms are small. I don't know London. Location-wise, can someone compare the pros and cons between these two hotels?

Thanks!

Exiled in Express Sep 24, 2018 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by piotrs (Post 30239935)
Not bad for me:) Got 4 nights in Des Moines, and 4 nights (Thanksgiving time) in Duluth. Des Moines very close to what I needed (Ames, IA), and Duluth is quite good to split Thanksgiving week between half in Wisconsin Dells (kids), and half on whatever is close to fill the rest of the week:)

This is probably my favorite Des Moines IHG property. Also the location of my most ridiculous upgrade to some three bedroom suite with a kitchen. I've been to Superior as well was not impressed by the HIX.

davem4 Sep 25, 2018 1:12 am

2 nights in Kiev :)

MaxVO Sep 25, 2018 3:14 am

Originally Posted by username (Post 30241561)
I am going to London in November. I booked the Doubletree in Greenwich but now this came up. Obviously the Doubletree is a better hotel but people say the rooms are small. I don't know London. Location-wise, can someone compare the pros and cons between these two hotels?

Thanks!

Greenwich is a more historic suburb, has a famous observatory that defined the 0° meridian. If you're American, most housing in England will appear cramped to you, and some stairwells downright claustrophobic.