Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2017, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Wiki was copied from 2017 thread
Created WIKI Mar2017 purely to add the "new" IHG PB List URL as I can't find by screen navigation since IHG changed the reservation screens etc, and the old url if saved no longer works either.

Just got fed up trying to find , much easier to store in wiki, hope this helps others

Pointbeaks changed the amount of points needed: This is discussed in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-rewards-club-intercontinental-ambassador/1890423-point-breaks-now-5k-10-15k.html

This thread is about the discussion about the locations and the actual list, please use the thread above for discussions about the increased number of points needed for pointbreak redemptions.

SCUBACCR

Use this URL for "Live" PB Listing:
https://www.ihg.com/rewardsclub/content/us/en/redeem-rewards/pointbreaks.html

The PREVIEW list usually appears on IHG's blog first
https://blog.ihg.com/ihg-rewards-club-pointbreaks-preview
Print Wikipost

2018 Pointbreaks Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2018, 2:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Damn, have been looking at some outdated partial list all day. No wonder it looked terrible. Complete list is definitely better...
Old Apr 30, 2018, 4:56 pm

Programs: Turkish Elite, AA Platinum, Royal Orchid Plus Silver
Am I glad I got the new IHG credit card with the 4th night benefit. I got my daughter's whole extended graduation weekend in Binghamton, which cost me only 30K points, after the free night.The reglular inflated grad weekend rate was almost 250 per night. I then booked the Indigo in Alexandria for four nights....ended up costing only 45k points. So Im not complaining-
Old Apr 30, 2018, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
What amazes me is how utterly nonexistent the European list is. It’s rubbish, there’s just nothing there, unless you get exceptionally lucky and happen to be in one of handful of cities on offer, Karlsruhe, Grenoble or wherever. Not only have they randomly raised the prices of PB redemptions, they’ve retained the same crappy lists as under the old system. Granted, Muscat, Singapore and Krabi in Thailand could be potentially interesting for some, but beyond that the list is perilously thin. As IAHPHX posted above, having a PB list is still better than not having one.
The_Bouncer likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 6:30 pm

Singapore, Muscat and Kanazawa stuck out on this list. Not a terrible list per say, but the number and quality of 5k/10k options was extremely bleak - definitely worse than I could have imagined after the change was first announced.
torontotravel likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 7:03 pm

Programs: none
I found this to be an excellent program and this list is no exception.. But maybe that just says something about ME.

As for those who found the same list to be terrible, maybe that says something about YOU. Better luck nest time.
IAN-UK and Fanjet like this.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Concerto
Granted, Muscat, Singapore and Krabi in Thailand could be potentially interesting for some...
And under the old 5K regime, all three would be long gone by now. Entire months would have been booked, some one night at a time to permit later pruning of the stay.

I ran into a RA resident of Cairo who'd done just that at the Citystars IC in the city: he said gym and pool access alone were worth a month in points. Add in lounge access and minibar and he was a happy bunny at 5K a night.

Who knows, perhaps he rented out his apartment on AirBnB
Old Apr 30, 2018, 8:18 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Concerto
What amazes me is how utterly nonexistent the European list is. It’s rubbish, there’s just nothing there, unless you get exceptionally lucky and happen to be in one of handful of cities on offer, Karlsruhe, Grenoble or wherever. Not only have they randomly raised the prices of PB redemptions, they’ve retained the same crappy lists as under the old system. Granted, Muscat, Singapore and Krabi in Thailand could be potentially interesting for some, but beyond that the list is perilously thin. As IAHPHX posted above, having a PB list is still better than not having one.
While the town isn't much, it's close to Krakow and Katovice, easily can go there for the day by public transport. Spent four enjoyable nights there last year. Amazed that the express trains stop there, as close as it is to the next big town.

Dabrowa Gornicza
Old Apr 30, 2018, 9:28 pm

Programs: IHG spire ambassador, SPG/Marriott Gold(new plat), Virgin Atlantic
Originally Posted by Allan38103
I found this to be an excellent program and this list is no exception.. But maybe that just says something about ME.

As for those who found the same list to be terrible, maybe that says something about YOU. Better luck nest time.
well spoken!!!

I've happily booked 11 nights at a humble staybridge in the suburbs of Portland for 110,000 points none of which I paid money out of pocket for rather I just selected my prior paid stays to fit last quarters promotion. Now I looked at the cost this stay would have been if I had paid for it - $1,742 - and with my vacation I would have been purchasing a hotel and/or using some points... my point is for me to complain about it well just would be silly, sure 5k would've been nice or isn't there a mandarin oriental @@

Now, the lack of benefit recognition for spire when compared to say Marriott platinum OK yeah that's worth some dialog... but IMHO point breaks is a good deal, always has been and let's hope it stays, sure we don't always win- last few I've booked nada - but it's still a good program overall!!!
Old Apr 30, 2018, 11:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by EmailKid
While the town isn't much, it's close to Krakow and Katovice, easily can go there for the day by public transport. Spent four enjoyable nights there last year. Amazed that the express trains stop there, as close as it is to the next big town.

Dabrowa Gornicza
This is about the only one worth thinking about in Europe this time around.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 11:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson
IC Sandton seems like a pretty good deal, too.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
This is about the only one worth thinking about in Europe this time around.
Why so little love for the Hotel Indigo Dusseldorf? Property and location both look to be very good. Lots of great food / art to be enjoyed and easy rapid access to lots of cities in the larger region too (Cologne, Brussels, Amsterdam, Frankfurt etc.).
Old May 1, 2018, 12:11 am
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson
Originally Posted by mster
Why so little love for the Hotel Indigo Dusseldorf?
If you need to stay there during the week, it can be an okay deal. During the weekend, it's not, cash rates usually start at under 80€.
Old May 1, 2018, 12:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by 1flyer
If you need to stay there during the week, it can be an okay deal. During the weekend, it's not, cash rates usually start at under 80€.
Exactly. Düsseldorf is hardly an expensive city. The Indigo is 15k, right?
Old May 1, 2018, 2:10 am

Originally Posted by 1flyer
Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
Exactly. Düsseldorf is hardly an expensive city. The Indigo is 15k, right?
15k IHG is worth at most $75 and I value it at $60. Comparably flexible weekend night bookings at the hotel indigo Dusseldorf start at €90+ / $110 USD. Seems a decent savings even on the weekends?
DuMaInSin likes this.
Old May 1, 2018, 2:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mster
15k IHG is worth at most $75 and I value it at $60. Comparably flexible weekend night bookings at the hotel indigo Dusseldorf start at €90+ / $110 USD. Seems a decent savings even on the weekends?
It's not a horrible deal, but when you consider the alternatives, it's nothing to get excited about. Hilton Düsseldorf, for example, on a random May weekend, comes up at €82, with 18 earned points per USD at mid-tier and free breakfast for elites.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.