FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG Rewards Club and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-rewards-club-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   2018 Pointbreaks Discussion Thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-rewards-club-intercontinental-ambassador/1885423-2018-pointbreaks-discussion-thread.html)

Culture Guru Jan 25, 18 3:28 am

Originally Posted by larrythai (Post 29336689)
Darn it....nothing but a bunch of hotels in the center of London

hopefully we see some sort of previews on some blogs today... cant wait!

rockbot Jan 25, 18 5:24 am

What blogs do you typically watch for the previews? I find myself googling it every quarter, searching for a preview.

Fabo.sk Jan 25, 18 7:02 am

There's always the official blog. Sometimes points blogs like OMAAT post a limited preview a couple of days prior.

Hawkeyefan Jan 25, 18 7:14 am

T minus one day until the griping about the poor list of properties begins��

moe8555 Jan 25, 18 12:47 pm

How about we take bets on whether IHG changes PBs to 10K a night without prior notice, in line with recent changes to Ambassador and top-category redemptions.

Culture Guru Jan 25, 18 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by moe8555 (Post 29339035)
How about we take bets on whether IHG changes PBs to 10K a night without prior notice, in line with recent changes to Ambassador and top-category redemptions.

I hope not - PB is the only thing that i exciting about IHG. if they ruin it...there is no hope

lowfareair Jan 25, 18 2:43 pm

Per Points with a Crew, the new rates will be 5k, 10k, 15k. I don't mind that, IF the list improves overall and there is a healthy number of 5k properties on there. The initial preview sounds interesting - IC Nairobi and Sao Paulo, but I don't know ow how long a higher quality of hotel will be maintained.

tsz Jan 25, 18 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by moe8555 (Post 29339035)

So...looks like partially true?

PBs seem to be moving to a 3-tier program...with different hotels at 5/10/15K

http://www.pointswithacrew.com/im-no...-point-breaks/

miadukes Jan 25, 18 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by tsz (Post 29339570)
So...looks like partially true?

PBs seem to be moving to a 3-tier program...with different hotels at 5/10/15K

I've got a bad feeling about the new IHG Point Breaks list - Points with a Crew

Yeah well enough people on here wanted that so it seems they got it. Watch all the FL hotels be 15k, useless.

Mauibaby2008 Jan 25, 18 3:22 pm

Killed the BRG program

AMB deval

big points deval this yr

more than likely killed the PB program ...

Jaimito Cartero Jan 25, 18 3:37 pm

Doesn't seem like a good change. PB were the only attractive thing left with IHG.

1353513636 Jan 25, 18 3:42 pm

I'm okay with this list but I would have rather them move to a half off normal price system rather than this tiered system because although there are some pretty good values on this list (eg IC Nairobi, which I redeemed points for at the regular rate last year because the cash price is regularly $150+), I would be conerned that a few years down the road the 5ks will all be hotels that are normally 10k, 10ks all hotels that are normall 15k, and 15ks all hotels that are normally 20k, and this will be more like Marriott's PointSavers than a truly good deal.

winkny Jan 25, 18 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by miadukes (Post 29339600)
Yeah well enough people on here wanted that so it seems they got it. Watch all the FL hotels be 15k, useless.

That is why i did not like all these wishes for increasing the price of the PB. ( But good job of IHG they see the customer want increase and they deliver.)
So let enjoy the next few so so PB lists and my prediction is in less then 2 years we will have 30 000 PB hotels.

And lets not forget that IHG pays hotels around 20$ per nights for these PB in most cases ( unless hotels have very high occupancy rate ),
so they are not at a loss

jpdx Jan 25, 18 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by 1353513636 (Post 29339796)
I would be conerned that a few years down the road the 5ks will all be hotels that are normally 10k, 10ks all hotels that are normall 15k, and 15ks all hotels that are normally 20k, and this will be more like Marriott's PointSavers than a truly good deal.

In the world of hotel programs, a few years down the road is an eternity, and nobody can predict what will happen. Will we see 100k rates at the best ICs? Will there be another recession and hotels will be desperate to increase occupancy, and we'll see a revival of super lucrative (FFN-type) promos? Who knows. The best advice is to use your points here and now, and for that, this may be a desirable change. The last few PB lists have been bleak, so I welcome the opportunity to pay slightly more and potentially have access to much better hotels.

minz56 Jan 25, 18 5:36 pm

I believe there will be over 200 hotels on the upcoming PB list, compared to about 100 for the last two promotions. It will be interesting to see what the breakdown is between the three tiers, and in particular how many hotels remain at 5,000 points.