Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2017, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Wiki was copied from 2017 thread
Created WIKI Mar2017 purely to add the "new" IHG PB List URL as I can't find by screen navigation since IHG changed the reservation screens etc, and the old url if saved no longer works either.

Just got fed up trying to find , much easier to store in wiki, hope this helps others

Pointbeaks changed the amount of points needed: This is discussed in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-rewards-club-intercontinental-ambassador/1890423-point-breaks-now-5k-10-15k.html

This thread is about the discussion about the locations and the actual list, please use the thread above for discussions about the increased number of points needed for pointbreak redemptions.

SCUBACCR

Use this URL for "Live" PB Listing:
https://www.ihg.com/rewardsclub/content/us/en/redeem-rewards/pointbreaks.html

The PREVIEW list usually appears on IHG's blog first
https://blog.ihg.com/ihg-rewards-club-pointbreaks-preview
Print Wikipost

2018 Pointbreaks Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
The new structure does seem to have slowed down speculative bookings. I'm seeing availability from properties that would have been gone the first day under the old system
Old Feb 1, 2018, 6:09 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by beachmouse
The new structure does seem to have slowed down speculative bookings. I'm seeing availability from properties that would have been gone the first day under the old system

Probably cause there aren't many properties on the list worth speculating over.
The_Bouncer and dollar like this.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 9:24 pm

Great!
Old Feb 1, 2018, 11:56 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Absolutely.
In the past, they were just so cheap that it lead to speculation - hey, I snatch it, "I might need it or sell it". But now the offers "enhanced" to an effectively 50% off rate so it is not anymore so lucrative. And most properties are in "not-so" hot-spots where there are typically other very good 100$ comparative cash alternatives than a 15k IHG hotel. Simple math, simple psychology.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 12:42 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Summary of 1Q2018 PBs by USA v RoW and 5/10/15k rates.

Cost .... 5k .... 10k .....15k .... r/total
USA..... 11 ..... 76 ..... 20 ..... = 107
RoW..... 22 .....40 ...... 34 ......= 96
============================
Totals.... 33 ... 116 ...... 54..... = 203
============================

Also 1-day post release, unlike last 18months since before full pre-release listings and also now best IHgGs at 15k, definitely much higher chice lefyt after 24hours ! :-)
@nd Feb remainder figures in ( )'s
Cost........ 5k ........ 10k .........15k ........... r/totals
USA..... 11 (08).....76 (72) .... 20 (20)..... = 107 (100)
RoW..... 22 (17).....40 (35)..... 34 (28)......= 96 (80)
=============================================
Totals.... 33 (25)... 116 (107) ...54(48)..... = 203 (180)
=============================================

So only 33 IHG propeties at 5k PB (previous rate) is defintely an increase/devaluation at the low=property end of the scheme.

Last edited by scubaccr; Feb 2, 2018 at 12:57 am
Old Feb 2, 2018, 1:05 am

Perhaps because not that many have fat points accounts and can't make so many bookings.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 2:09 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan
Probably cause there aren't many properties on the list worth speculating over.
Though there are a variety of IC's in Central AM and SO AM listed. However, the IC Miramar in Panama City at 15k would be better to buy, Club room at US$133 and senior rate of $118. Hardy worth using the points.

Also, for 5k, the HIX Nantong Downtown is quite nice, but I seldom paid more than US$40 per night there.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 3:16 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by FFlash
Absolutely.
In the past, they were just so cheap that it lead to speculation - hey, I snatch it, "I might need it or sell it". But now the offers "enhanced" to an effectively 50% off rate so it is not anymore so lucrative. And most properties are in "not-so" hot-spots where there are typically other very good 100$ comparative cash alternatives than a 15k IHG hotel. Simple math, simple psychology.
Originally Posted by rbAA
Though there are a variety of IC's in Central AM and SO AM listed. However, the IC Miramar in Panama City at 15k would be better to buy, Club room at US$133 and senior rate of $118. Hardy worth using the points.

Also, for 5k, the HIX Nantong Downtown is quite nice, but I seldom paid more than US$40 per night there.
These two posts pretty much sum it up.

Most places on this list are very cheap to pay in cash, or have very cheap alternatives close by.

Sorry, but this list is all smoke and mirrors. There is virtually zero real value.
happygolucky_nomad likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by rbAA

Yet it is worth using points. Less attractive than under the old scheme, but still attractive.

of course the strength of the attraction will depend on the dates, your points' balance and status in the programme. My stay at the Panama IC would come in at well north of the figure you quote and that's for a non-club room. Add on 10% or so in taxes, and it's very clearly worth using points.

I can't find any rates at the Miramar that correspond to those you quote. I'm sure they exist, but I don't have any incentive to search through dates that are no use to me.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 9:51 am

IC Kiev is rarely discounted much, so 50% point discount is decent

IHG points are constantly being devalued, so best to earn and burn IMO
Old Feb 2, 2018, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I guess The_Bouncer is right above, the value has pretty much gone out of the window. I wanted to say that I think the speculative booking is potentially a real problem and they ought to try and think a way around that, not necessarily by making the points non refundable. Maybe they’re on the right track with this tiered system and will manage to put a bit of water in the wine of enthusiastic blogger bookers.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 12:32 pm

I had a booking at 30k points which I was going to cancel to rebook at 15k.

When I looked at my existing reservation it was already showing the prices as 15k. Great, they've done it automatically. Nice. Except I haven't had the other 15k points back into my account.

Anyone else noticed anything like this?
Old Feb 2, 2018, 4:32 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by todderz

When I looked at my existing reservation it was already showing the prices as 15k. Great, they've done it automatically. Nice. Except I haven't had the other 15k points back into my account.

IHG ropey I.T No not repricd by IHg, No you won't get the difference in points back to your account without taking actions below

You need to
i)First book same nights on PB (if still available) assuming enough points in account
ii)only once rebooked a PB , cancel your original full priced award stay
Jaimito Cartero and todderz like this.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 6:33 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Yet it is worth using points. Less attractive than under the old scheme, but still attractive.

of course the strength of the attraction will depend on the dates, your points' balance and status in the programme. My stay at the Panama IC would come in at well north of the figure you quote and that's for a non-club room. Add on 10% or so in taxes, and it's very clearly worth using points.

I can't find any rates at the Miramar that correspond to those you quote. I'm sure they exist, but I don't have any incentive to search through dates that are no use to me.
Possibly. I only check the dates that I would likely go and stay there. YRMV depending on your dates.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 1:00 am

Originally Posted by todderz

Yes, but the other way around, I booked a hotel that has dropped off the list.
It was 10K on PB, now the reservation says 25K (under Rate Information per Night for 1 Room )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.