2018 Pointbreaks Discussion Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 29, 18, 4:23 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: FLYGVA
Wiki Link
Wiki was copied from 2017 thread
Created WIKI Mar2017 purely to add the "new" IHG PB List URL as I can't find by screen navigation since IHG changed the reservation screens etc, and the old url if saved no longer works either.

Just got fed up trying to find , much easier to store in wiki, hope this helps others

Pointbeaks changed the amount of points needed: This is discussed in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inte...5k-10-15k.html

This thread is about the discussion about the locations and the actual list, please use the thread above for discussions about the increased number of points needed for pointbreak redemptions.

SCUBACCR

Use this URL for "Live" PB Listing:
https://www.ihg.com/rewardsclub/cont...intbreaks.html

The PREVIEW list usually appears on IHG's blog first
https://blog.ihg.com/ihg-rewards-clu...breaks-preview
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 30, 18, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, MR Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Privilege Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by stets View Post
This thought at least makes me more confident that I'll be able to get decent value for my existing IHG point stockpile. I'm still abandoning all efforts to acquire any more IHG points, though.
same here....i always managed to do the bare minimum at all the accelerate promos & get enough points for 8-10 nights at nyc every year....but with the recent devaluation in both the regular points & pointbreaks, it doesn't make sense for me to continue acquiring more ihg points....

Originally Posted by stets View Post
Nothing lasts forever. I got a huge amount of value out of this over the years. I stayed 31 nights on PB in 2017 and 47 nights in 2016. I doubt I was ever a profitable customer for IHG, so I can't blame them at all. I'm certainly one of the scavengers they're getting rid of with this move. Moving on to the next gag.
while i didn't stay anywhere close to the number of nights you stayed, i still got great value out of pointbreaks over the years....
Old Jan 30, 18, 7:33 am

Programs: Got a K-Plussa black! S-card remains green :D
Okay, I try to look for the positive now and think what should I try to book here. Is CP Hiroshima any worth an effort to pass by? I checked their IHG reviews and there were just about 2 unuseful reviews on their site, all other written in Japanese which I did not read.
Old Jan 30, 18, 9:30 am

Programs: HH Gold / CC Concierge / IHG Gold / SPG Gold / Marriott Gold / LH SEN / AF-KL Silver / BA Silver
Does someone know what is the contingency / percentage per hotel for PointBreaks? Is this determined by the hotel or by IHG?
Old Jan 30, 18, 10:25 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by sch7458 View Post
Does someone know what is the contingency / percentage per hotel for PointBreaks? Is this determined by the hotel or by IHG?
IHG Corporate mandates that hotels release 5% of room capacity as award nights , with no blackout dates. Hotels at their own discretion may release upto 10% of rooms, in which case IHG pay a nigher nightly amount to such hotels, and even hotels that stick to 5% get a $$/night lift after xxx award nights in a year.

PBs come out of the hotels normal 5% award bucket , but is a limited part of that bucket, both across the whole 3months and individual nights (eg if 100room hotel has 5x award rooms/night, not all 5rooms on a single night can be booked as PBs). Once the allocated number of PB nights at the hotel are booked, then you are left with standard rate awards.

Frustrating for me in booking -9 day 1week trips is that in major cities often Fri+Sat weekend nights are booked up quickly as single/double nights, so making it impossible to book a week away on PB..... thats assuming that a prime night (or set of nights)( is not already exhausted at normal award price before PB goes live. Valentines day and Easter 2018 on April 1st, might be sold out before PB was live !
Old Jan 30, 18, 11:02 am

Programs: HH Gold / CC Concierge / IHG Gold / SPG Gold / Marriott Gold / LH SEN / AF-KL Silver / BA Silver
Originally Posted by scubaccr View Post
IHG Corporate mandates that hotels release 5% of room capacity as award nights , with no blackout dates. Hotels at their own discretion may release upto 10% of rooms, in which case IHG pay a nigher nightly amount to such hotels, and even hotels that stick to 5% get a $$/night lift after xxx award nights in a year.

PBs come out of the hotels normal 5% award bucket , but is a limited part of that bucket, both across the whole 3months and individual nights (eg if 100room hotel has 5x award rooms/night, not all 5rooms on a single night can be booked as PBs). Once the allocated number of PB nights at the hotel are booked, then you are left with standard rate awards.

Frustrating for me in booking -9 day 1week trips is that in major cities often Fri+Sat weekend nights are booked up quickly as single/double nights, so making it impossible to book a week away on PB..... thats assuming that a prime night (or set of nights)( is not already exhausted at normal award price before PB goes live. Valentines day and Easter 2018 on April 1st, might be sold out before PB was live !
OK. That's good to know. What happens if for instance a PB award cancelled? Would that room contingency go back to PB rate or normal award rate?
Old Jan 30, 18, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by scubaccr View Post

Thank you for your post. I have a couple of points and a question or two. My understanding when point breaks started all the room nights were available out of the 5 or 10% pool. That may have changed at some point but either way I don't understand why in any 3 month period why a property cares if all their point rooms are booked? If they are over 95% booked on any given night they receive 100% of the average room rate for that night and if they are less then 95% booked that night the room may of gone empty and shouldn't matter if a point break took that room. If 5% is to high for point breaks then lower it to 3% or 2% which you suggest they have already done for the point break portion. My main question is why don't they lower it to 2 or 3% of inventory and have all properties on the list say once every 3 years or 4 years? So for example if they have 4000 properties and 250 on a list with 4 lists a year. So if my math is correct a property would only be on the list one time in a 4 years over a 3 month period. If they pick the correct percentage of inventory like say 4% is what my guess it would be (2 or 3% if necessary) it should make all IHG members happy and not cost any specific property very much one time every 3 or 4 years. Am I missing something?
Old Jan 30, 18, 11:25 am

Programs: KLM Gold, DL Silver
Any creative ideas on how to liquidate the remaining IHG points with little damage and walk away from IHG?
Old Jan 30, 18, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by iggyray View Post
Any creative ideas on how to liquidate the remaining IHG points with little damage and walk away from IHG?
- NYC Hotels during New Year's Eve
- Some PB in Middle East (Lebanon, UAE, Oman...)
- And generally all standard awards during peak-event / exhibition.
Old Jan 30, 18, 2:51 pm

After offering PB for a decade, reasonable folks can understand IHG's movement to 10K and 15K PBs. However, marketing 101 dictates this initial three-tiered offering would represent the ideal time for IHG to roll out an upgraded list to cushion the blow of the sudden, steep devaluation.

(...)

Interesting to note not a single property in Canada east of SK in the dead of winter. Meanwhile, two Edmonton Airport hotels 30+km south of downtown Edmonton on the PB list that are right next to each other. Evidently Canada was an afterthought ... but fared better than Oceania.

Doesn't bode well for the future of PB, but grateful it was not abolished.

Last edited by FLYGVA; Jan 31, 18 at 11:01 am Reason: edited controversial part about certain countries out of post
Old Jan 30, 18, 3:03 pm

Programs: Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by stigs View Post
After offering PB for a decade, reasonable folks can understand IHG's movement to 10K and 15K PBs. However, marketing 101 dictates this initial three-tiered offering would represent the ideal time for IHG to roll out an upgraded list to cushion the blow of the sudden, steep devaluation.

(...)
Interesting to note not a single property in Canada east of SK in the dead of winter. Meanwhile, two Edmonton Airport hotels 30+km south of downtown Edmonton on the PB list that are right next to each other. Evidently Canada was an afterthought ... but fared better than Oceania.

Doesn't bode well for the future of PB, but grateful it was not abolished.
IHG doesn't owe us anything and it's quite obvious with this latest docket that they are lliving up to exactly that

Last edited by FLYGVA; Jan 31, 18 at 11:02 am Reason: edited due to editing of quoted post
Old Jan 30, 18, 3:19 pm

I actually wish that instead 5/10/15k PB pricing, IHG would induce a monthly list of 500+ hotels with 40% - 80% discount on award with no cancellation policy. Like that, the PB contingency will be less misused.
Old Jan 30, 18, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by sch7458 View Post
I actually wish that instead 5/10/15k PB pricing, IHG would induce a monthly list of 500+ hotels with 40% - 80% discount on award with no cancellation policy. Like that, the PB contingency will be less misused.
That would be great. If this were to happen, then hardly anyone would ever pay full price for an award again. Just wait every quarter for 500+ hotels to be discounted at 40-80% off. 500+ hotels should cover your needs every quarter.
Old Jan 30, 18, 10:43 pm

Programs: IHG spire ambassador, SPG/Marriott Gold(new plat), Virgin Atlantic
Originally Posted by The_Bouncer View Post
IHG has been my preferred loyalty program for more than 15 years, and I am currently sitting on 480k (none of them bought or from credit cards).

Just because I am not a "regular" poster doesn't mean I don't spend the money (my money, not my employer's).

Any yes, I am absolutely a "bottom feeder". Pointbreaks were always my preferred option for redemptions. At 5k, why wouldn't they be? I also burn a lot of points at the 10k and sometimes 15k every day rates.

The vast majority of the properties on the 10k and 15k lists this quarter are no better that the properties I book for the same rates, day in and day out. They are also in cities or areas where there are tons of options at the same point levels or under $100 cash.

If you are happy with this, good luck to you, enjoy it - and I'm not being at all sarcastic there - I'm genuinely glad that some people are happy. I for one, however, am thoroughly peed off - and I have every right to be.
I can relate as while I'm also not a frequent poster I have been a loyal IHG for well over a decade, and recently it just seems like they value me less ( from loyalty program point view - upgrades fewer, asking late checkout more of a hassle lucky to get 1 extra hour) but the point breaks deal really keep me happy. Even if it was a random HIX on side of freeway but close to bigger city or convenient in travels otherwise I felt like got a good deal - rewarded! But now I see it becoming 15k for anything good and 5k for nowheresville...

anyways, not going to totally write it off as we'll see how next list for summer is???
But, I will say in back of mind I'm thinking to burn my pile of points ( these new kimptons at 50k in some places look like good deal with regular rates in $200-300 ) and for loyalty I've already gained Marriott/SPG gold who give me the guaranteed 4pm checkout which is what i really like & need for my "reward" so geuss that's that!
Old Jan 31, 18, 1:14 am

Programs: Got a K-Plussa black! S-card remains green :D
A fairly decent proof that the new list is indeed a worse list: at this time most of the properties were already sold out, previously. Now, I checked the list and I very very few properties off list now, by quick look I could only see HIX Hammersmith London and CP Hiroshima disappeared from the list
Old Jan 31, 18, 1:24 am

Programs: AAdvantage, BAEC, Avios, Alaska, SAS Eurobonus, DL Skymiles, IHG Priority, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by FFlash View Post
A fairly decent proof that the new list is indeed a worse list: at this time most of the properties were already sold out, previously. Now, I checked the list and I very very few properties off list now, by quick look I could only see HIX Hammersmith London and CP Hiroshima disappeared from the list
What? You mean people are not falling over themselves to book $80 Crowne Plazas for 15k points? What's wrong with people?

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description: