FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG Rewards Club and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-rewards-club-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   2018 Pointbreaks Discussion Thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-rewards-club-intercontinental-ambassador/1885423-2018-pointbreaks-discussion-thread.html)

travelbarefeet Jan 28, 18 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by beltway (Post 29349299)
The 5K Hilton redemptions are largely for remote rural US locations and (IIRC) resorts in Egypt & similar countries where civil upheaval has caused tourism to fall off a cliff. Also, these former Cat 1 propertiesóHilton having abolished redemption categories last yearóare in many cases raising their top rate to 10K.

Your SPG comparison is a bad one. 2000 Starpoints are worth at least $40; 5000 IHG points are worth $25-33.

But the real point is that comparing periodic promotions like Point Breaks to standard award levels at other chains is the quintessential apples-to-oranges exercise.

Yup, plus the most important point is that these programs do not overlap so there's no need to compare. You are not really choosing between the programs.

In most locations, there will only be one choice for you to choose from, i.e.
a) Cat 1 Marriott at 7.5k
b) SPG Cat 1 at 2-3k
c) Hilton Cat 1 at 5k
d) IHG pointbreaks at 5k

So there's no need to compare. Furthermore, everyone should have a stash of each of these types of points through credit card signups. You should have some SPG & Marriott. You should have some HIlton pts and you should have some IHG points. There's great value in each.

For example, I have an upcoming trip to South Africa and surrounding countries this summer and I've found alot of Marriott Cat 1 & 2 hotels at 7.5k & 10k. Great value.

SEAfarer Jan 28, 18 3:02 pm

Am switching to the "instant notification" subscription on this thread, so I hope my Inbox will now be "cluttered" with the best advice and good counsel that has always been generously shared among us. Mostly I want the heads up from you (as from LL) when anything goes live tomorrow.

I know Friday was a disappointment to not have the weekend to make our plans. In my case this year, my countries are pretty well established, so I can only hope for the hotels I have seen before from those countries. And they have stayed pretty well open during the PB booking day, so I don't really have to rush to grab, just get the dates and internal transportation right, and allocate my two stays.

I could go with 10ks, as it's time to burn some points on some longer stays. I just saw what IHG may be paying the last IC I burned points at. They likely have an overall budget for this program as a promotional incentive, counting on most people not to max it out as we try to. But one day, the accountants call them in and say, "We have to talk about this..." Then, adjustments get suggested and made. It's only business.

Hope I have enough points to start with and not have to hustle to cancel some later 20k bookings and get my points back. The last couple PBs were so dry, I was left with a large balance. Depending on the active promos, I usually burn 15ks on weekdays when the rate is over $100, and pay for weekend special rates, and I am satisfied with the program and the hotels it introduces me to.

Also, I have learned to "Ctrl-C" copy my text before hitting any buttons, after putting some thought into the effort, as this new FT layout has tricked me a couple times already, or I was in a hurry to move on, and not paying attention to the options.

3544quebec Jan 28, 18 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by travelbarefeet (Post 29350373)
a) Cat 1 Marriott at 7.5k
b) SPG Cat 1 at 2-3k
c) Hilton Cat 1 at 5k
d) IHG pointbreaks at 5k

Furthermore, everyone should have a stash of each of these types of points through credit card signups.

Don't you listen to that wise man who said "America First , not America alone" - on Flyertalk "everyone" includes a large number of people who don't have access to credit card signups linked to Hotel Companies. Make Flyertalk inclusive again! ;)

SEAfarer Jan 28, 18 3:19 pm

So of course I had forgotten that instant notifications don't continue to show up until you click into the first one that arrives, and not just delete it. (If I'm wrong, please correct me.) This is the only thread on FT that I do that with so I forget the system sometimes. At least I'm in the right time zone this time, and not somewhere in Asia staying up all night to catch it.

Today's discussion very useful, and comparisons with other chains may come in handy some day, and as always, the reminder not to let my HH expire as it gets close to a year of non-use.

travelbarefeet Jan 28, 18 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by 3544quebec (Post 29350413)
Don't you listen to that wise man who said "America First , not America alone" - on Flyertalk "everyone" includes a large number of people who don't have access to credit card signups linked to Hotel Companies. Make Flyertalk inclusive again! ;)

Ok, my apologies for my exclusive comments.

I would like to change "everyone" to "for those who are able to."

Mauibaby2008 Jan 28, 18 7:22 pm

Does anybody know anything about Holiday Inn Vulcano Buono?

looks interesting, attached to a shopping mall, near Naples, Pompeii. If Italy was on my radar the next few months I would probably try it out. Canít go wrong for 5k a night.

puchong Jan 28, 18 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by beltway (Post 29349299)
The 5K Hilton redemptions are largely for remote rural US locations and (IIRC) resorts in Egypt & similar countries where civil upheaval has caused tourism to fall off a cliff. Also, these former Cat 1 properties—Hilton having abolished redemption categories last year—are in many cases raising their top rate to 10K.

Your SPG comparison is a bad one. 2000 Starpoints are worth at least $40; 5000 IHG points are worth $25-33.

But the real point is that comparing periodic promotions like Point Breaks to standard award levels at other chains is the quintessential apples-to-oranges exercise.

I have never stayed at a "remote rural US location" @ 5,000 Hilton points, but just last week spent several days at the DoubleTree Malacca in Malaysia in a suite for 5,000 points and earlier this month spent several nights in good hotels in Istanbul at the same 5,000 point - all with breakfast of course. For 2,000 SPG points I have stayed often at the Le Meridien Putrajaya in Malaysia (again in a Suite) and for 3,000 points at the ITC Sonar in Calcutta, which is a Luxury Collection property. So IMO, the value from IHG points is pretty poor, especially with the current spate of devaluations and zero benefits. Last year I had multiple stays at the BoubleTree Johor Bahru @5,000 pooints, which is a 30-minute cab ride away from Singapore.

Pray tell me where I can buy 2,000 SPG points for $40...

Hilton lets me stay at the single person rate for double occupancy ('Spouse stays free' benefit) whereas IHG very often socks me with a second person extra charge starting with the second person!

Want more reasons?

MikeyRogersIHG Jan 29, 18 12:54 am

Have been reading the forums for about the year now and love the site (probably my most read), but have only just officially signed up to FT, so go easy on me.

For what itís worth, I love IHG (Platinum Ambassador member) and have had some great deals and upgrades over the last couple of years, but my experience tells me, it all depends on the hotel and the person you deal with most the time. Also, polite reminder that a hotel honour your loyalty benefits if they donít initially.

Looking forward to the mad rush to book up Pointsbreaks later today! Happy with greater variety on offer this round, even if it means burning more points (which letís face it, are easy to accumulate with the various promos).

markis10 Jan 29, 18 12:54 am

Originally Posted by puchong (Post 29351540)
I have never stayed at a "remote rural US location" @ 5,000 Hilton points, but just last week spent several days at the DoubleTree Malacca in Malaysia in a suite for 5,000 points and earlier this month spent several nights in good hotels in Istanbul at the same 5,000 point - all with breakfast of course. For 2,000 SPG points I have stayed often at the Le Meridien Putrajaya in Malaysia (again in a Suite) and for 3,000 points at the ITC Sonar in Calcutta, which is a Luxury Collection property. So IMO, the value from IHG points is pretty poor, especially with the current spate of devaluations and zero benefits. Last year I had multiple stays at the BoubleTree Johor Bahru @5,000 pooints, which is a 30-minute cab ride away from Singapore.

Pray tell me where I can buy 2,000 SPG points for $40...

Hilton lets me stay at the single person rate for double occupancy ('Spouse stays free' benefit) whereas IHG very often socks me with a second person extra charge starting with the second person!

Want more reasons?

JB Double Tree is 10k and a bit more than a thirty minute cab ride away from Singapore, at least it was two weeks ago, and I note you seemed to have missed the HI Malacca at 5k in your assertion IHG is poor value. PJ properties and indeed those in Malacca or most of Malaysia are poor value for points used compared to cash rates regardless. The more common/popular destinations such as HKG/ BKK etc make fairer comparisons, and of course it all depends on where one wants to go!

vsevolod4 Jan 29, 18 1:15 am

Originally Posted by minz56 (Post 29344264)
I've done an analysis of the IC and CP hotels that have been pre-advised by IHG as being in the next PB promotion. For each one there are four figures:

1. PB cost, 5K, 10K or 15K
2. Normal points required for an award
3. Cheapest cash stay for a random date (I chose 11/12 April). Obviously rates can vary over the period of the promotion but I hope this gives an indication
4. Cash value of PB cost based on MY valuation of IHG Rewards Points which is $5/1000. Actually I have been accumulating points at under $5/1000 but $5 seems like a nice round figure.

All $ costings are in US Dollars.

IC Cali 10K / 25K / $137 / $50
IC Sao Paolo 15K / 35K / $229 / $75
IC Kiev 15K / 30K / $343 / $75

CP Tianjin 5K / 20K / $82 / $25
CP Antalya 5K / 20K / $21 / $25
CP Vientiane 10K / 25K / $87 / $50
CP Belgrade 10K / 20K / $138 / $50
CP Hiroshima 15K / 30K / $125 / $75
CP Abu Dhabi 15K / 30K / $124 / $75
CP Arlington TX 15K / 30K / $163 / $75

As you can see all PB offers are at least 50% off the normal points rate, but the $ comparisons tell a different story with all the IC's offering great value, with the CP hotels being more mixed.

Looking forward to the full list and fingers crossed for a hotel in Singapore!

Thanks ... great analysis. Add to that ... you save on taxes, in most cases. And your comparison should be not vs. the cheapest cash rate (which is nonrefundable), but vs. the cheapest refundable cash rate -- since the pointsbreaks are cancelable. Also, subtract 10% from the 15K as an IHG Rewards cardholder, plus you'll get another 500-600 points as an amenity, so your net cost is 13K miles. Also, for hotels where rates vary significantly, you are more likely to use points on the nights that the hotels are expensive, rather than the nights that they are cheap.
OTOH, you lose point accumulation for your stay, and for ICH properties, you lose PQDs towards RA requalification, now that it's apparent that RA qualification is revenue-based.
I'm particularly pleased with the inclusion of the IC Kiev, which is a very nice hotel in the best location in a very nice city to visit.

Sisyphus1carus Jan 29, 18 3:49 am

They really should release the whole list in advance.
maybe a FEW additions which come late as an exception rather than the rule would be Okay.
The reason being is that I think some people book up the nice hotels very speculatively and then later in the day or coming week have a look at what they can really use, cancelling those (perhaps many) that they can't or don't"t want to use having thought about it a bit more or looked into locations, flight prices, other commitments etc....
The cancelled rooms do not go back in as bookable at the Pointbreaks rates so no one else can benefit.
Very poor selfish behaviour.
Of course some people will end up doing this for a booking made in very good faith & that's life BUT those who book wildly on the offchance of missing out very much to the detriment of others are being rather selfish.

Don't know what the deleted posts were about as didn't see them but perhaps they were about the same thing ??

Anyhow, hoping I can find a hotel & some available dates I can make use of for the first time.
IC Kiev does look nice but doesn't suit me at the moment.

Fingers crossed :-)

Sisyphus1carus Jan 29, 18 3:55 am

Originally Posted by guv1976 (Post 29343325)
2. Holders of a qualifying IHG credit card get a 10% rebate on point redemptions.

Is this just the US cards ??

boonkoh Jan 29, 18 5:13 am

I posted on the (smaller) other thread about the upcoming PointsBreak, but realised this thread is more active.

Can I get an opinion if the points+cash will be a good deal? I have 30k points but need to book three separate stays over the next month or two, so in the unlikely scenario I find decent PB for all three stays, I might be short of points.

Also is there a way to purchase points quickly and cheaply, if I spot a great PB and need more than 30k points?

BrightlyBob Jan 29, 18 5:22 am

One thing is for sure, this is likely to be the best list we see as it introduces the new concept during the less popular months too. Hoping very much to grab something interesting...

BrightlyBob Jan 29, 18 5:44 am

Originally Posted by boonkoh (Post 29352251)
I posted on the (smaller) other thread about the upcoming PointsBreak, but realised this thread is more active.

Can I get an opinion if the points+cash will be a good deal? I have 30k points but need to book three separate stays over the next month or two, so in the unlikely scenario I find decent PB for all three stays, I might be short of points.

Also is there a way to purchase points quickly and cheaply, if I spot a great PB and need more than 30k points?

You can use the points-and-cash-and-cancel trick. Find any hotel and book a points and cash rate. That takes you to a screen to pay for the 5k or 10k points you want. Once you’ve paid and can see the reservation in your bookings, simply cancel it and the full points will be transferred into your IHG account. This is because the points and cash rate is simply a way of buying 5000 points for $40 for 10,000 points for $70. Be aware however you may not have much time to faff around if going for a very popular pointbreak hotel since these often sell out weekend nights within an hour of going online.

It’s also worth commenting that some of the pricier hotels are offering P&C available to buy up to 20,000 points. The LA IC is offering P&C at $30 for 5k, $60 for 10k, $89 for 15k and $115 for 20k. Most properties don’t offer these slightly cheaper P&C rates.