Please post your Royal Ambassador experiences 2018

Old Jul 12, 2018, 8:44 am

Programs: QR Plat, HH Diamond
I always thought the Trattoria restaurant a couple blocks from IC Nairobi had fantastic food and it has been there for years
Old Jul 17, 2018, 12:28 am

InterContinental Doha

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?
yes

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
Booked cheapest and got 'upgrade' to a sea view Club room

How are the rooms?
all new, cool design, huge bathroom and great view

How is the exec. lounge?
fantastic, one of the best anywhere now, far far nicer than old lounge, better service and improved food / drink offerings

Did you receive a welcome gift?
a chocolate bar?

How was the minibar?
nothing special, couple beers and 1/2 bottles of both red + white wine

What was good and what was bad?

-Good
very impressed with new Club Lounge and rooms

-Bad
nothing yet

Value for $ or Priority Club Points?
a true bargain during summer but limited use of facilities due to heat

Would you return?[/QUOTE]
yes

I would stay at IC the City only if they had markedly better rates, otherwise IC Doha is a far better value IMO
FLYGVA and BenSherman like this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 2:31 am

Programs: IHG Royal Ambassador
InterContinental Shanghai Pudong

InterContinental Shanghai Pudong

What is your IHG Rewards Club status?
Spire Royal Ambassador

YES

Booked King Superior Room, Received King Club InterContinental Room on 23rd Floor.

How are the rooms?
This room seems to be renovated recently. Approx. 35SQM. Philips LCD TV, Bluetooth Audio, French Press Coffee maker. Deep sunken bathtub, Toiletries are Agraria.

Video of King Club InterContinental Room

How is the exec. lounge?
Located on the penthouse floor (24F), Decor is a little bit dated, but Food and Beverage selection is fairly good. Every staff are very friendly and Professional.

How was the mini-bar?
Fairly good.

What was your welcome gift?
Chinese Tea, Chopsticks Set, Sweets, Two bottles of Aqua Panna, 2x drink vouchers, and 120RMB dining credit voucher.

Did you receive fruit in the room?
Yes

What was good?
++++++++++ Guest recognition (except room upgrade)
+++++ Location (convenient to access airports, the bund, Yu Garden, and etc...)
+++++ Professional staff services

What was bad?
Nothing

Value for $ or Rewards Club Points?
Yes

Would you return?
Yes, Solid business hotel.
FLYGVA likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 6:15 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum (3 Million Miler), IHG Spire Royal Amdassador
IC Willard Washington

IC Willard Washington
Sort of. I used to stay at this hotel quite often, around 8 or 9 times a year and had been consistently getting amazing upgrades (to Oval or Executive Suites). But I haven't stayed here since Sept 2017 because since the IC Washington DC - The Wharf it opened in Oct 2017, I have been able to get a government rate there for my last 8 trips to DC (this is the first time since last September I was able to get a govt rate at the Willard)

Booked King Superior, received King Willard.

How are the rooms?
This particular King Willard was a disappointment. Although the rooms have recently been renovated and the renovations look great, this is probably the smallest King Willard I have ever had. It was on the 2nd floor (room 200) and had only one window so no view of anything (I could sort of see the outdoor tables at Cafe Parc). I think the other King Willards (rooms X00) are more like corner rooms with 2 windows, if I recall correctly. There was a couch but no coffee table.

How is the exec. lounge?
There isn't one

Bottle of red wine and a Willard tin with chocolate chip cookies in it. I have only received the tin once before and it was empty that time. 2 bottles of water were replaced daily and there was a large fruit selection.

How was the minibar?
Still a good minibar. 375 ml bottles of red and white wine and champagne. Small selection of liquor and some beers. Sparkling water still has not returned to the minibar. Also, I was at the hotel for 3 nights and the minibar was not refilled once. The bottle of white wine had a cork in it, but there wasn't a cork screw anywhere in the room.

-Good:
-- The location is great, right near the White House
-- The property is just beautiful and has a lot of history
​​​​-- Water is replaced everyday and the fruit selection was good.

-Bad
-- King Willard upgrade was disappointing based on the upgrades I had received in the past. I know that this upgrade category for RA is supposedly standard though, but this room in particular wasn't that great.
-- Emailed the hotel prior to arrival to let them know arrival time and never heard back from them
-- The staff is not as friendly as they used to be. When I checked out on the last morning, I had to remind that desk clerk that I was RA. She looked at me blankly until I mentioned the minibar charges should be removed

Yes

Would you return?
I would because I really used to love this hotel. But with the IC Washington DC - The Wharf as an option now, it makes the decision tougher if both properties are available at a Govt Rate.
FLYGVA likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 3:59 pm

Intercontinental Mark Hopkins , SF

no

booked cheapest and got 'upgrade' to another room that looked cheap but had a view

How are the rooms?
embarrassing, probably last updated in the 1980s

How is the exec. lounge?
it is a space shared with the lobby restaurant and basically the only positive thing about stay, quite decent wines, beers and liquors + some respectable food offering at breakfast + happy hour

some tiny pack of raspberry candy

How was the minibar?
it was nothing special, fairly low-grade offering

-Good
liked the Club Lounge

cool location + view

-Bad
rooms for USD 500 nightly that were a complete joke
USD 65 to park
weak upgrade

a poor value all around unless you booked for > USD 200

Would you return?
no I might try other IC in SF if rate was decent

my brother did pay $$$ to upgrade a reward night room to the Penthouse suite (just below Top of the Mark) that was huge and had great views (but the same frumpy / dated decor as normal rooms)
rate quoted was USD 1900 nightly
FLYGVA likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 4:11 am

Programs: Infinity Milage Lands Gold,Star Alliance Gold, IHG Diamond RA, Kimpton Inner Circle
Intercontinental Hua Hin Resort

Intercontinental Hua Hin Resort

Yes very happy

Premier Room 2 nights paid + 4 reward night received Resort classic suite for all 6 nights for a small upsell as its more than a 2 cat upgrade for the reward nights.

How are the rooms?
Room is open plan with plenty of space large bathroom with huge soaking tub, walking closet and double balcony with hot tub and day bed

How is the exec. lounge?
The lounge is not very large but never seems to be full so still comfortable there is also outside seating if preferred. There is a small buffet area which is set for breakfast and evening cocktails with a reasonable selection of cheese and other small bites there is a small menu of cooked to order items for breakfast although we did find them flexible with off menu orders which was nice. Afternoon tea there is a choice of 3 different sets which have just been revamped and were very good. The staff are also top draw Amy, may and the rest of the team really did a great job looking after us.

Thai sweet's some coconut oil and some massage oil.

How was the minibar?
Only 2 beers and a few soft drinks but a decent selection of spirits although they are only free once however the wine including the sparkling are replenished daily without charge.

-Good
Club lounge is a real pleasure.
Room is in good condition and very comfortable
Staff are friendly and very attentive

-Bad
Nothing

I find the hotel to be great value was given full RA benefits even on points nights.

Would you return?

Yes already booked 14 nights for November
FLYGVA likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 11:53 am

Programs: Infinity Milage Lands Gold,Star Alliance Gold, IHG Diamond RA, Kimpton Inner Circle
Intercontinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort

Yes

Booked Panoramic Ocean View room and received +2 cat Ocean View Terrace Suite

How are the rooms?
Room was large and comfortable, outside balcony / seating area was large with plenty of seating and a nice view which was one of the main reasons I choose this room type however I found the bathroom setup a little odd in the end and did not really like the way it is separated from the main room by screens. Also there was a lack of a practical area to store luggage despite the size of the room which was a slight annoyance.

How is the exec. lounge?
They have a new location for the lounge which used to be the serene lobby lounge area which is a prime location for taking in the view there is also a room just off the lobby where they setup a small cold buffet during evening cocktails. Breakfast is also now offered in the lounge although this only consists of a couple of set menu options but is much more relaxed than the main restaurant we tended to get something to eat in the buffet restaurant and then head up to the lounge for coffee and juice after to relax and take in the view. Staff were very attentive and very engaging and we were impressed with the level of service from the team. As a whole we were quite impressed with the new lounge setup even though they do allow kids during cocktails (Please don't hate me lol) especially as the Air is a bit of Zoo sometimes at sunset with guests from outside the hotel.

Sarong and some thai sweets

How was the minibar?
Nothing special just the basics really, the wine fridge is a good idea in theory except for the high prices you are subject to in Thailand and the fact that nothing was cold when we arrived in either fridge and the wine fridge never really cooled down even though we adjusted the settings to try and chill a bottle of Champagne we had with us.

-Good
Received very good RA recognition even from the restaurant staff in Flames and Amber
All the staff we interacted with were great
View is amazing
Flames and room service food was very good and they were flexible with ordering off menu

-Bad
Only real negative was that all the cocktails we tried bar one were very flat tasting no real zing or alcohol hit including paid for at the beach bar / restaurants and an Irish coffee in Flames that was lacking the Irish.
Food and beverage are very expensive even though the food we had was very good and tasty.

Very expensive compared to the other IC's in Thailand and even though the view is amazing I don't think some of the prices and room rates during the year are worth while. I booked during a sale but in general the rooms seem to for 4-5k thb more per night than I paid which would not be worth it in my opinion.

Would you return?
Yes we would if the price was right because as a whole we did enjoy our stay but they do play on the view.
FLYGVA and Atacama40 like this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 10:04 am

Intercontinental Moscow Tverskaya

Yes very happy

booked cheapest room and received a 4 class upgrade to 200+ sqm Presidential Suite with huge terrace

How are the rooms?
the room was well-appointed and bathroom was larger then the average hotel room in Europe but had an odd post-Soviet decor ;-)

How is the exec. lounge?
The lounge is quite nice but I felt the food and drinks offering was sort of 2nd rate, nice RAs can have breakfast in main restaurant too

a $6 bottle of wine

How was the minibar?
stripped down as usual, couple beers, colas, water, juices and a split of Prosseco.

-Good
upgrade was awesome
service is fairly solid
fit club is decent
great location IMO

-Bad
stripped down mini-bar
believe they could "up their game" in for Club Lounge food + drinks

incredible value as an RA, particularly with recent ruble devaluation

Would you return?
for sure
FLYGVA likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 2:01 pm

Programs: IHG
Originally Posted by #1son
Intercontinental Moscow Tverskaya

Yes very happy

booked cheapest room and received a 4 class upgrade to 200+ sqm Presidential Suite with huge terrace

How are the rooms?
the room was well-appointed and bathroom was larger then the average hotel room in Europe but had an odd post-Soviet decor ;-)

How is the exec. lounge?
The lounge is quite nice but I felt the food and drinks offering was sort of 2nd rate, nice RAs can have breakfast in main restaurant too

a $6 bottle of wine

How was the minibar?
stripped down as usual, couple beers, colas, water, juices and a split of Prosseco.

-Good
upgrade was awesome
service is fairly solid
fit club is decent
great location IMO

-Bad
stripped down mini-bar
believe they could "up their game" in for Club Lounge food + drinks

incredible value as an RA, particularly with recent ruble devaluation

Would you return?
for sure
Great upgrade, by the way, nice work!

You do not need to accept the stripped-out mini-bar.

I emailed in advance, expressing my concern about this. I was assured that RA would receive real mini-bar.

I had 2 stays booked, several days apart. The first one, I received mini-bar with vodkas, gins, VSOP's, and some local vodkas, plus splits of red/white wine, Prosecco and Champagne, plus beers, mixers, stc.

The first stay, everything was correct. The second stay (after cancelling and re-booking the Best Flex) was the stripped mini-bar.

It seems that the Guest Relations manager puts a note on your account to ensure proper mini-bar, assuming you email in advance.

I assume this note was perhaps removed when I re-booked, hence the issue on the second stay.

It can only be, that her superiors attempt to withhold the standard mini-bar from RA's, and only fulfill, once challenged.

That said, she's a sweetheart, and will ensure everything goes smoothly, - [email protected]
Old Aug 20, 2018, 5:13 pm

InterContinental London - The O2

Were you generally happy with the hotel?
Yes!

1st. night: Reward Night
2nd. night: Deluxe Riverview
received: City InterContinental Suite (One Bedroom Suite)

How was the room?
ca. 70 sqm, high floor with beautiful view to canary wharf. Furniture in very good condition. Bed was comfortable.
Perfect working air conditioning system, 16C worked without problem. It seemed that I got one of the bigger One Bed Room Suites. This one has definitely more than 60 sqm.

How is the Club InterContinental?
On the second floor with good view to the skyline of Canary Wharf. Happy hour and light (buffet) dinner from 5 to 7pm, which was fine as I am not a big fan of this new mini portion canaps like in IC Berlin.

Standard ambassador treatment.

How was the mini-bar?
Decent. 2x coke, 2x diet coke, 2x orange juice, Red Bull, Schweppes tonic water, 2x white whine (can be replaced with red wine or champagne), 2x water, sparkling water, 2x 664, scotch whiskey, Jack Daniels, Absolut Vodka, Beefeater, 2 chocolate, etc.

What was good?
-huge upgrade, even on rewards.
-complimentary lounge access for third person
-restaurant breakfast complimentary (for third person too)
-full benefits on reward night.
-minibar replenished
-view
-room breakfast complimentary (5GBP service fee applies)

What was bad?
(-snacks were charged)
​​
Value for cash/points?
Rate of IC PL was ca 3,5x higher and would not grant club access on rewards. Very good value.

Would you return?
Yes!

FLYGVA likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 2:55 pm

Programs: EK Platinum, FB Ulti PFL, Marriott Ambassador, IHG Spire RA
IC New York Times Square
Mwah

Booked Deluxe Family Studio, received King Sky View Studio on the 17th floor. Also received apologies no upgrades are available and was offered 5.000 points or breakfast for two for one day. Skyview is the max upgrade for RA's.

How are the rooms?
This room was good size and had windows wrapped around it for nice views of 44th street and 8th Av. One king bed and sleeper sofa with divider screen. Found the carpet had a lot of stains. Bathroom with walk-in shower, no bathtub.
​​​​
How is the exec. lounge?
No lounge

Small IC box with chocolate and few pieces of fruit

How was the minibar?
OK, wines (sparkling, white and red), beers, some liquor miniatures and soda/juices/water.

Good
  • Views
Bad
  • (in my case) no room upgrade
  • Delay in delivering water and fruit
  • No IC vibe
  • (comped) breakfast was very poor - gluten free bread was delivered 40-45 mins after requested, no cooked to order options, buffet ran out of pancakes, scrambled eggs, bacon and took 15+ mins to refill
​​​Value for $ or Priority Club Points?
  • NYC is an expensive place during summer peak season, IC TS is no exception

Would you return?
  • No, partly because I'll stay in another part of NYC for our next visit, partly because I think/expect there are better value options
FLYGVA likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 3:08 pm

Intercontinental Los Angeles Century City

Yes

Booked King Bed Superior (lowest, on points) and received one bed executive suite (which is the standard upgrade for RA's)

How are the rooms?
Large, two balconies, classy bit dated but well maintained.

How is the exec. lounge?
No lounge

id you receive a welcome gift?
Wine, nuts and nibbles

GOOD
- Very friendly staff, from the moment you arrive in the VIP check-in to the moment you leave I felt looked after in a non obtrusive way
- Full RA benefits on a points stay, also extended to the 2nd room we booked on points, minibar refreshed daily
- Free car service for nearby sites (Beverly Hills, Westfield shopping center..)
- Great location for day trips (WB studios, Getty, Beverly Hills, Santa Monica
- This hotel is a benchmark for what I expect from an IC

BAD
- No Club lounge
- You need a car and the valet parking is $44 a night

Value for $ or IHG Rewards Club Points?
- yes

Would you return?
- Yes
FLYGVA likes this.

Last edited by HaikoW; Aug 23, 2018 at 3:09 pm Reason: Added hotel name
Old Aug 23, 2018, 3:21 pm

Intercontinental The Willard (DC)
Yes

Booked a willard king room and got upgraded to one bedroom executive corner suite located on the 11th floor overlooking F street and 14th street

How are the rooms?
Huge! Separate living room with sleeper sofa and dining table, two bathrooms, small kitchen.

How is the exec. lounge?
No lounge

Wine

How was the minibar?
Good, wine (red white, sparkling) good selection of liquor and sodas/water

Good
- great staff, what you would expect from a proper IC
- great upgrade
- location, pretty much all tourist attractions are in walking distance

Bad
- No lounge?

- yes

Would you return?
- yes!
FLYGVA likes this.

Last edited by HaikoW; Aug 23, 2018 at 3:22 pm Reason: added hotel name
Old Aug 23, 2018, 3:52 pm

IC David Tel Aviv
Mwah

Booked king classic room, got upgraded to king club room on high floor

How are the rooms?
Room decor is brown and beige but have a nice couch and great view of the beach/sea. Good size. Bathroom with walk in shower and separate bath tub.

How is the exec. lounge?
Located on 24th floor, friendly staff. Liked the breakfast spread but found the place very crowded and noisy later in the day. Nice views as well.

Card from the guest relations managet, bottle of wine, fruit, cookies and a very nice bag of "419" branded beauty products. Very nice.

How was the minibar?
Empty

Good
- Good bed and shower
- Friendly staff in lounge and guest relations manager
- Nice views
- Walking distance to the beach

Bad
- Lounge not large enough and it didn't feel relaxed
- Room service took 50-minutes to deliver a wrap
- Empty minibar

- yes

Would you return?
- Yes, curious to see if I just had bad luck this time. Want to like this property because of the lounge staff and guest relations manager
FLYGVA likes this.

Last edited by HaikoW; Aug 23, 2018 at 3:52 pm Reason: Added hotel name
Old Aug 24, 2018, 5:25 am

InterContinental Frankfurt

Were you generally happy with the hotel?
No.

Standard room ---> Deluxe Room

How was the room?
ca. 26-29sqm sqm, high floor, not a corner room (but it should be following the description on website), no separate sofa area, exactly like a standard room. Air conditioning was a joke.
Bathroom was miniature. I did not notice any difference to superior room (standard on high floor) when I was Ambassador last year

How is the Club InterContinental?
On the twentieth floor. Buffet breakfast was of bad quality and I didn't like the Egg Benedict even the second time.
Happy Hour from 6 to 8 pm. Standard liqueur, nothing to mention about. Champagne: Nicolas Feuillatte. One hot (non-vegetarian) dish (meat balls).
Service was rarely experienced.
In terms of quantity and quality it was for me like a better club lounge Crowne Plaza Hamburg.

Standard ambassador treatment.

How was the mini-bar?
Many soft drinks, just 2x liqueurs. below average.

What was good?
-view to the skyline

What was bad?
- My room was connected with a corner room with balcony (in total the size of a Panorama Suite), connecting door was opened and a prosecco treatment was waiting on the sofa table.
After a few hours of being away I noticed that the corner room was used by another person that had access many hours to my room and to my documents.
Explanation: The corner room was not meant to be mine.
- Restaurant breakfast will not be granted.
- Room upgrade was a bad joke.
- Air conditioning had only a minimal influence to the (warm) room temperature
- Overall condition of the furnishings.
- Club lounge miles away in terms of service and quality comparing to Berlin and Dsseldorf.
​​
Value for cash/points?
Points may have good value if rates are high on weekdays. For the given I am sure there are better 4-5 star options for minimal price difference.

Would you return?
Only with RA and if rate shows a significant discrepancy to other properties. To get a better room I recommend to book Superior (for Club Room) or Deluxe (for Club Suite).
FLYGVA likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.