Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please post your Royal Ambassador experiences 2018

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2018, 1:27 pm

IC Cartagena de Indias

IC Cartagena, Comolbia

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?
Yes for the room and the upgrade, no with the club lounge

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
Booked cheapest, received suite incl. club access

How are the rooms?
Very nice. Size of around 3 or 4 regular rooms. Separate living room, bed room, bathroom with separate tub and shower, toilet in a separate room, large closet, extra toilet off living room.
Modern design, huge windows to three sides, perfect ocean view.
Enough power ports, fast internet.
Some cracked windows (seems to be normal for the building)

How is the exec. lounge?
One of the best views of any IC lounge (after Hong Kong and Nha Trang).
One of the worst offerings. Breakfast was minimal. No high tea, one hot dish and not much else. Many people here are compaining about hotels adhering to the brand standards. I wish this hotel would.....
Lounge is officially closed on Sundays, but was also closed on other days (for maintenance). On these days could have breakfast at the main restaurant. Got exited first when we find out and then disappointed: not much better than in the club lounge.

Did you receive a welcome gift?
Business card holder, fruit basked (only first day) and more water we could ever drink

How was the minibar?
About average.

What was good and what was bad?

-Good
- View from room and lounge
- Modern building
- Nice pool, but in the shade most of the day
- Friendly staff

-Bad
- Lounge (food quality / quantity / hours)
- Lounge closed on sundays and potentially other days
- Shabby area, dirty beach
- No steam room, sauna
- Agraria, but at least 2 bottles of each
- Constantly some areas are closed for 'maintenance'

Value for $ or Priority Club Points?
Hotel is not expensive, value for a paid stay was quite good.

Would you return?[/QUOTE]
Possibly. Cartagena old town is nice, but the area the hotel is in is not. There is a shopping mall inside the same building which was pretty dead (lots of empty spaces, food court was minimal).
Old Feb 12, 2018, 10:30 am

InterContinental Istanbul

Were you generally happy with the hotel?
Yes

Standard ---> Sea View Executive Suite

How was the room?
spacious, ca. 95 sqm, but low floor and dated. Bed was not very comfortable, too soft (and I weigh only 56kg...)
The view was strongly affected by the highly reflective windows shimmering with all sorts of colors.

How is the exec. lounge?
Very attentive staff that may surprise you if they can fulfill your little wishes like bringing some Baklava or other things.
Breakfast: 6.30-11am. I preferred restaurant breakfast.
Tea time: 3-5pm. Very (!) poor offering, just some nuts, 1-2 sorts of pastry
Happy hour: 5-7pm: Both qualitative and quantitative below IC average.If empty, then empty. It was rarely refilled. There were no alcoholic drinks offered at the bar on Saturday & Sunday.
The lounge itself has a beautiful view to the Bosphorus, looks valuable and is divided into several small rooms

Yes, a handmade miniature bowl.

How was the mini-bar?
Decent. 3x coke, 4x water, 5 hard liqueur (Absolut Vodka, Jack Daniel's, Ballantine's, Raki, Beefeater), Henkel prosecco, red wine, white wine, energy drink, juices and other soft drinks, 3x beer,
Turkish delight, pistachios, Haribo, several chocolates, adapter, condoms

What was good?
-There weren't charged any snacks or other items (e.g. adapter) from the mini-bar.
-Mini-bar was replenished consistently daily. (My mate is a hopeless alcoholic )
-Very attentive restaurant and lounge staff.
-Generous upgrade considering that other properties stick 100% to the 2-category-upgrade and only upgrade above that when they have no choice.
-1.5 bathrooms
-breakfast at restaurant included (otherwise 50EUR)

What was bad?
-no indoor pool
-useless gym
-don't like this frumpy interior design. especially when significant wear is visible.
-turn down service at 10 pm
-lounge offering.
​​
Value for $?
With RA very good value, without RA I would have spent more money for a more upscale property in town or booked for < $ a less dated 4* property.
In general one should not complain about prices at a luxury hotels, but 50EUR for a breakfast in Istanbul, 19EUR for mini 5cl Jack Daniel's-bottle... I don't know ...
​​​​​​​
Would you return?
Yes, but only if rates show a significant discrepancy to other properties.
FLYGVA likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 3:00 am

Programs: CX GO, BA Gold, OZ*G, IHG Spire RA
IC Amstel Amsterdam

Yes. I had a very enjoyable weekend. The property is small but very luxurious and comfortable.

Booked Awards Nights and received a City View Suite

How are the rooms?
Large bedroom with nice, spacious bathroom. Separate living room with sofa, two chairs, and desk area

How is the exec. lounge?
No lounge but received the Club Life experience. Breakfast was amazing and I also tried the cocktails one evening. I came back later, after 8pm, and had more cocktails that I fully expected to pay for. These were credited at check-out.

Yes. Vegetable platter and the Stroopwaffels in a tin.

How was the minibar?
No spirits as reported earlier but plenty of water (4X Evian and 2X Fiji) which was appreciated. Heineken was the only alcohol included.

-Good
Overall experience/luxury of the property
Breakfast
Club Life experience

-Bad
Just lack of alcohol options in the minibar

Fantastic given this was an awards night!

Would you return?
Definitely
FLYGVA likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 3:14 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, LTG & CCR; IC RA; Hilton D (free from BA)
Intercontinental Dallas

Intercontinental Dallas

It is OK, but really nothing special

Booked Superior and got a Duplex Exec Suite. But they give that to Ambassadors on points too - friend also got the same.

How are the rooms?
Old, drab, very noisy air conditioning. But rooms are clean, practically no IC branding anywhere. There is an IC label on the safe, and IC Room Menu and one IC bath robe. Nothing else seems to be branded. No fridge, no mini bar, Coffee machine.\

How is the exec. lounge?
To be frank it is the worst IC lounge I have seen, don't compare it to European or Asian ones. Breakfast is continental only. The lounge only seems to be used for breakfast and evening. Only ever one staff member, no concierge or reception type activity, one sofa set and the rest of the single room is just tables for two. Evening drinks are wine and beer, cheese and a selection of a few hot dishes like chicken wings. Didn't bother going after first night and went out as it can get dominated by airline bus drivers having a couple of beers and talking loudly and because the lounge is basically one square room there is no privacy at all.

4 chocolates on a plate, 2 bottles of water a day and 3 pieces of fruit not replenished.

How was the minibar?
It is not there, on asking the desk the following day I was told about the transfer to Marriott and that they are removing mini bars and replacing with fridges. I just replied that there wasn't a fridge either!

-Good
Big car park, staff are trying their best, wifi OK. Molton Brown bath stuff
-Bad
It really is a tired hotel, not an Intercontinental experience by any step of the imagination. Only one restaurant. One bath robe despite booking for two, no slippers, no RA recognition - compared to identical A recognition.

Well I was paying cash, but i know another had it for 30k a night so ok. It leaves IC soon anyway
FLYGVA likes this.

Last edited by IThink; Feb 17, 2018 at 3:40 am
Old Feb 19, 2018, 9:18 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum (3 Million Miler), IHG Spire Royal Amdassador
IC Washington DC -The Wharf

IC Washington DC- The Wharf
Yes (my second stay here, I was this hotel's first official guest in October 2017)

Booked Standard Room at the Govt Rate, received Executive Riverview Suite

How are the rooms?
The suite has a separate sitting area with a desk and wraparound couch. The bedroom area is a little small but there are great views of the Potomac River. There is a juliet-ish balcony that you can stand on.

In the bathroom, there is a shower but no tub. Also, the usual box of amenities with toothpaste, shower cap, cotton swabs, etc wasn't there. Agraria toiletries. Nice towels and one of the best hotel bathrobes I have ever experienced!

How is the exec. lounge?
There isn't one, very unfortunate!

Fruit (one apple, one pear, one banana past it's prime, one tangerine), small dish of seasoned peanuts, small plate of cookies. Water was only replaced once on my 3 night stay. The cookies and peanuts are removed the second day whether you are finished or not.

How was the minibar?
375 ml bottles of red and white wine. No champagne or sparkling wine. Decent selection of liquor. Cans of beer, no bottles. Badoit sparkling water

-Good:
- Location at the new Wharf area with a lot of bars, restaurants and The Anthem (music venue)
- Less than 10 minute walk to Waterfront and L'Enfant Plaza metro stops. There is also a free Wharf shuttle to L'Enfant Plaza, the mall/Smithsonians, etc.
-- Views of the river
-- The staff is friendly
​​​​-- This hotel is brand new

-Bad
-- Nothing yet!

Yes, especially since it can be difficult to get a govt rate at hotels in DC (like the Willard)

Would you return?
Yes! Looking forward to staying here in the summer when the rooftop pool and bar are open
FLYGVA likes this.

Last edited by VaBeachGirl; Feb 19, 2018 at 9:21 pm Reason: Clarification
Old Feb 22, 2018, 5:51 am

Programs: IHG Royal Ambassador
InterContinental Hong Kong

InterContinental Hong Kong

What is your IHG Rewards Club status?

Spire Royal Ambassador

Were you happy with the hotel/stay?
Yes, as always.

Originally booked Deluxe Harbour View Room to expected CNY fireworks and system indicated to upgrade to Deluxe Junior Suite. However two day before arrival HK government announced to cancel the fireworks due to terrible and sad bus accident. I called to hotel to change the reservation to Superior Plaza View Room. Then received Superior Harbour View Room.

How are the rooms?
33sqm. Well appointed. Only one disadvantage is no coffee machine.

Video of Superior Harbour View Room

How is the exec. lounge?
Excellent as always! Excellent F&B offering, Friendly and Fun staff. I love here.

How was the mini-bar?
Best mini-bar except no Champagne.

What was your welcome gift?
Chocolate box, small snack of nuts, cookies, Chinese tea box, and bottle of Champagne.

Did you receive fruit in the room?
Yes.

Good
Everything except below;

Bad
Superior Junior Suite positioning in latest RA upgrade policy.
Fireworks cancelled (Of course this is not hotel’s fault)
One scam guy was smoking in the hallway. (I requested to change the floor)

Value for $ or Rewards Club Points? Would you return?
Absolutely.
FLYGVA likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 9:26 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum (3 Million Miler), IHG Spire Royal Amdassador
IC Costa Rica - San Jose

IC Costa Rica - San Jose
Yes, for the most part

Booked King Deluxe, received King Bed Club Suite.
When the hotel processed the upgrade that morning, they did not keep the same rate I had booked, though. They changed the rate to the rack rate for the room. Got it resolved when I checked in, but it took a while and it's a good thing I had the email confirmation handy.

How are the rooms?
The suite had two rooms with a sitting area that had a couch, coffee table, desk, minibar. The bedroom was normal size. The room I received had views of a construction sight.

In the bathroom, there is a shower, tub, separate toilet stall. Agraria toiletries. Not the greatest lighting in the bathroom.

How is the exec. lounge?
Really nice! It's on the second floor and has an outside seating area that overlooks the pool.

Great food during the 6-8pm cocktail hour. Several hot entrees, a variety of cheese and cold cuts, different salads and amazing ceviche, hot soup, several desserts. Enough to make dinner out of it. Drinks are not self serve, though and it was pretty busy, so sometimes it took a while to get a waiters attention for drinks.
Breakfast was all self serve food, nothing cooked to order. Scrambled eggs, bacon, potatoes, a variety of breads, pastries and cheese, lots of fruit, cereal, yogurt.

Awesome selection of fruit, 2 bottles of water and a small box of Costa Rican chocolate.

How was the minibar?
Small bottles of red and white wine (Barefoot brand - first time I've seen that brand in an IC minibar!). No champagne or sparkling wine. 6 beers, only one can of local beer. 4 mini bottles of whiskey, one local whiskey, a 375 ml bottle of Bacardi. Soda, Perrier, etc

-Good:
- A beautiful pool area and the hotel has a very resort like feel
- Across the street from a mall with a big grocery store
-- Awesome lounge
-- There is a spa and several restaurants
​​​​-- Good location in Escazu with inexpensive Uber rides to the airport and downtown San Jose. Ubers were always nearby, too
- Separate tower and check in for Club guests

-Bad
-- I arrived at the hotel at noon and the room wasn't cleaned yet (even after checking off the before 3pm check-in to make sure they were aware). I waited about an hour and a 45 minutes for the room to be ready. For an RA, I though that was a little unsat, considering we should have 8am check in.
- the fact that they adjusted the room rate to a suite rack rate and I had to take the time to get it straightened out

Yes

Would you return?
Yes
FLYGVA likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 10:14 am

Programs: IC/AMB - Diamond Elite, AC E50K, AA, AM-Onyx, HH-Diamond, BW, Choice - Gold
The hotel is required to provide you a room on an interim basis, should your upgraded room is not available when you arrive.

As per the T&C's for RAs:

'In circumstances where the two tier room upgrade is not available at 8:00 am, the Royal Ambassador will be checked into an available room until their upgraded room becomes available later on the day of arrival.'
Old Mar 5, 2018, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by MXM135
The hotel is required to provide you a room on an interim basis, should your upgraded room is not available when you arrive.

'In circumstances where the two tier room upgrade is not available at 8:00 am, the Royal Ambassador will be checked into an available room until their upgraded room becomes available later on the day of arrival.'
Sometimes you have to prod them into giving you the temporary room. If they tell me my room won't be ready til xxx, I just say, OK, no problem. Give me a temporary room for now. Sometimes that puts the rush on them and they come back and say my room will be ready in 30 minutes and please enjoy breakfast or lunch on us. But every IC handles this in their own way.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 10:43 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by MXM135

Yes though no doubt each IC applies some reasonableness criteria, eg if getting a great room and current occupant not checked out or as often a fellow Amb/RA with 4pm checkout? find temp RA room readily given at 8-111am checkin but less likely at 3pm and allocated room being cleaned within 60mins or a bit longer, especially if IC has a nice lounge. I kinda understand as hotel needs clean temp room if needed that night

I would happily wait an hour or so in a lounge, issue comes when after 60-90hour room not ready/given, a situation I hit at IC Bangkok on 9am arrival and having not forced issue still in lounge at 1230 waiting for a corner suite on a Saturday morning...... At which point I demanded RA bennny of any room until a corner suite was ready as needed to shower/change/go-out
Old Mar 5, 2018, 3:35 pm

Programs: IC/AMB - Diamond Elite, AC E50K, AA, AM-Onyx, HH-Diamond, BW, Choice - Gold
VaBeachGirl stated that she arrived at noon, but told the hotel that she would arrive before 3:00 pm. Her complaint of 'unsatisfactory' was made as she believed that her upgraded room should be available at 8:00 am -

"For an RA, I though that was a little unsat, considering we should have 8am check in."

Scubaccr, I fully understand your comments as I have been an RA since the program started in 2004/2005 when the Six Continents Club was changed to the Ambassador Program. I have personally taken advantage of excellent clubs while waiting for my room, as you have as well.

I just wanted to remind VaBeachGirl that RA's are not guaranteed their upgraded room at 8:00 am,as you have pointed out .....
Old Mar 6, 2018, 3:01 am

Programs: FB Plat, IHG RA Spire, TK Elite+, HH Diamond, LH SEN, Marriott Titanium
IC The Barclay New York

Hmmm yeah I guess. Was only there for 1 day so spend most of it in the city.

Booked cheapest and received Premier King.

How are the rooms?
Reasonably sized room for NYC. 1 large bed with a suitably sized desk and a well furnished bathroom.

How is the exec. lounge?
Tried it for breakfast and it was pretty good. I was unsure what it would be like with all the comments on this forum but my only complaint is lack of natural light.

Hmmm, some fruit and...I don't remember! it couldn't have been that impressive!

How was the minibar?
No sparkling wine but a good variety of beers, liquors and soft drinks. No complaints.

-Good
- Got it at a reasonable price
- Decor is kinda cool

-Bad
-
All of the staff we encountered were miserable...really miserable
- Upgrade was just basically to a larger standard room, nothing of mention

I would be disappointed if I dropped 70k points for this or anything more than $250 / night

Would you return?
Only if it's at the lower price range
FLYGVA likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 3:06 am

Programs: FB Plat, IHG RA Spire, TK Elite+, HH Diamond, LH SEN, Marriott Titanium
IC Prague

Yeah, as always

Booked one up from the basic and received executive suite.

How are the rooms?
Not bad, well furnished. 2 bathrooms, seperate living room area...No bath though.

How is the exec. lounge?
Personally I don't like how this lounge is all in seperate little rooms and most of the seating is tables and not really many sofa's for lounging. But in general I like this lounge, the staff are great, there is good food, nice light.

Oh they now seem to be doing eggs benedict etc and have a little menu, which appears to becoming more and more common.

A bottle of wine as per usual.

How was the minibar?
Standard selection of spirits, white and red wines and soft drinks. They did have 1 or 2 local beers. No complaints

-Good
- Good location
- Friendly staff
- Good food
- I never regret staying here

-Bad
- There was some Toyota convention going on the last couple of days which meant my room rate was extortionately high for that part and it was busy. So busy in fact that there were no seats available in the main breakfast part. Luckily I just went to the lounge

Yes

Would you return?
Yes, I do a couple of times a year.
FLYGVA likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 12:13 am

Programs: UA 1K 2Millon Mile Flyer, IC Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle, Bonvoy Gold
Intercontinental Perth

Overall, yes.

Booked Classic King at a corporate rate and upgraded to a Studio King

How are the rooms?
The hotel just opened in October, 2017 after the previous property was gutted and remodeled. It features a sleek, modern look with Asian influences. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom featured modern design with a walk in shower and separate soaking tub. All of the connections and ports were updated and readily available. It had all the usual bath products. The walk in closet was large, with plenty of storage space.

How is the exec. lounge?
RA's have the choice of breakfast at either the restaurant on the ground floor or the lounge. The restaurant is a destination spot, with one of the best variety of cooked to order and buffet offerings I've ever experienced. The lounge offers a menu with a smaller, but ample selection of breakfast items. For dinner, the lounge offers a variety of still and sparkling wines, as well as cocktails. There is a small spread of cheese and charcuterie, along with a nightly offering of canapés. The canapés were all tasty and could have easily served as an amuse bouche at any fine dining restaurant. The views over the city are sweeping and the staff were all lovely and attentive.

The usual water and fruit.

How was the minibar?
It had a nice selection of local wines, sparkling and still water, and a variety of liquor.

Good:
-The hotel is easily accessible by public transit from the airport.
-The fitness center is well equipped with free weights, machines, cardio equipment and medicine balls/bands for a great workout.
-The restaurants are both excellent
-The staff were very attentive and eager to please
-The location is easily walkable to nearby stores and restaurants

Bad:
Nothing

If all benefits were offered, excellent.

Would you return?
Yes, definitely
FLYGVA likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 12:34 am

Programs: UA 1K 2Millon Mile Flyer, IC Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle, Bonvoy Gold
Intercontinental Washington DC - The Wharf

Somewhat

Booked King Deluxe on AAA rate and received an Executive Suite

How are the rooms?
The hotel opened late 2017, so the design is sleek and modern. While billed as a "Suite" the room would better be described as a Junior Suite. The rooms feature plenty of power and access ports, as well as a Bose Wave sound system. The beds were comfortable with some of the softest, silkiest sheets I've ever experienced. The room features a sitting nook, which had a separate TV and book shelves. While decorative, it didn't appear to be functional. The room faced the inner courtyard, and I could literally see people in an adjoining building conducting meetings within 100 feet. The bathroom was large and well designed, with a walk in shower.

How is the exec. lounge?
None, nor do they offer the "Club Experience."

No. Nothing arrived either day, despite there being two separate reservations and a conversation with the front desk after the first day. They did comp breakfasts (which should be included as an RA anyway).

How was the minibar?
Standard fare, nothing of note.

Good
-The fitness facility was well equipped for a hotel and offered a good workout
-The restaurant had an excellent cooked to order breakfast, although it is not included in RA benefits

Bad
-The Business Center computer terminals only accepted credit cards and use was not comp for RC members.
-Housekeeping and service at the hotel was spotty, suggesting they are still not hitting their stride after opening.
-The location is remote and not conducive to public transit. The Waterfront and L'Enfant Plaza Metro stations are .6 miles from the hotel, making walking or Uber/Lyft a necessity.
No Club Lounge - something which does not make sense for a new hotel

I'd opt for the Willard or one of the Kimpton properties on points

Would you return?
Probably not. This was my first time and I thought I'd try it out. Although the Willard was more expensive, the remote location and service glitches at this hotel wouldn't encourage me to return anytime soon.
FLYGVA likes this.

Last edited by PremExecSNA; Mar 20, 2018 at 5:45 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.