Please post your Royal Ambassador experiences 2018

Old Jan 6, 2018, 5:26 am

Programs: EK Platinum, FB Ulti PFL, Marriott Ambassador, IHG Spire RA
IC DusseldorfIC Dusseldorf

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?
Hard product: yes

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
Booked King Bed executive. Received King Bed executive suite

How are the rooms?
The suite consists of two ~29m2 rooms and a nice size balcony with furniture. The decor is early this century. and although well maintained could use some refurbishment. The first room holds a large closet, minibar, sleeper couch, desk and 32"LCD. 2nd Room holds king size bed, walk-in closet, and the bathroom. The bathroom has a walk-in shower, bathtub, single sink, and toilet. The separation between the toilet and the shower/bathroom is glass. The rooms are very well sound proofed.

How is the exec. lounge?
Large balcony style on the 2nd floor. Service was hit and miss, but we had exceptional service Tuesday and Wednesday afternoon. Food offerings seem to be better than the new 'standards' very nice presentation.
Breakfast for RA is club only unless breakfast is booked.

Did you receive a welcome gift?
4 fruits, 2 sweets, and mustard

How was the minibar?
Minibar autodetects if you remove bottles and auto charges you. The selection was 4 bottles of juice, 4 bottles of water, 3 beer bottles, and various hard liquor. No wine, and not a huge selection., minibar is not included when staying on a reward night

What was good and what was bad?

-Good
- Location. They are at the end of the Konigsalle with most local attractions in walking distance
- Many Arab speaking staff, the hotel really caters well for guests from this geo.
- Good food in the lounge

-Bad
- Not pleased to say but overall not impressed by the staff across the board, with some positive exceptions as always, but generally not impressed
- Free internet for three devices

Value for $ or Priority Club Points?
- We paid ~EUR 200 a night which I found good value

Would you return?
- Not sure, there are some good alternatives
FLYGVA likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by HaikoW
Booked King Bed executive. Received King Bed executive suite
(...)
Upgrade grid is:
Superior -> Deluxe -> Executive -> Suite
(or club -> Executive for Ambassadors)
Old Jan 7, 2018, 1:58 pm

Programs: IHG Royal Ambassador
ANA InterContinental Tokyo

What is your IHG Rewards Club status?
Spire Royal Ambassador

YES, as always.

Booked Executive Suite for 16days Christmas/New Year Holiday, received same room first 14days, and last two days received Presidential Suite.

How are the rooms?
From Jan.8th 2018-Apr.2018, both rooms are undergoing of renovation. I was final guest of those rooms. Presidential Suite will be remodel to two bedroom suite, and Jacuzzi will be removed. Recently many hotels are removing Jacuzzi due to its maintainability. Im so sad.

Video of Executive Suite (until Jan.8th, 2018)

Video of Presidential Suite (until Jan.8th, 2018)

How is the exec. lounge?
Absolutely one of the best Club Lounge in the world. Since Nov.2017, they are offering the special exclusive club breakfast which produced by world renowned Michelin three stars chef Pierre Gagnaire. And special cocktail time meal like Tournedos Rossini has been offered during holiday season.

What was your welcome gift?
Japanese Rice Crackers, Japanese Sweets, Macarons, and Godiva Chocolate.

How was the mini-bar?
Some items have been improved. (ex: Champagne is changed from piccolo bottle to demi bottle) Good enough for me.

Did you receive fruit in the room?
Yes

What was good?
Everything

What was bad?
Nothing

Value for $ or Rewards Club Points?
Yes

Would you return?
Yes. Here is my home. Every staff are my family.
FLYGVA likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 3:31 am

Programs: IHG Spire Royal Ambassador, Le Club Accor Gold, Shangrila Golden Circles Diamond

Spire Royal Ambassador ( Now no more )

Yes

Booked King Premier Room (Dec 22 to 24) upgraded to Junior Suite (on Club Floor)
Booked King Junior Suite (Dec 24 to 25) upgraded to Imperial Suite (on Club Floor)

How are the rooms?
Junior Suite was showing significant signs of wear and tear. It will be probably renovated soon. Layout was a bit odd and uncomfortable.

Imperial Suite was great with a big living room, bedroom, huge toilet with Jacuzzi, dressing as well as a visitors toilet.

How is the exec. lounge?
Good though a quite crowded (Christmas weekend); I only went to the lounge in the morning for breakfast.

Japanese Rice Crackers, Daruma Doll

How was the mini-bar?
Surprisingly the Minibar of the Junior Suite was way better than the one of the Imperial suite with Champagne and Japanese Whiskey.

The Minibar of the Imperial Suite was basic (small bottles of Hard Liquor, cans of beer, red wine / white wine and tea / soft drinks).

Yes

What was good?
Everything

What was bad?
Nothing

The rooms were quite expensive as I booked late and during Holiday season. The Imperial Suite was definitely value for $ but the Junior Suite was quite expensive at the rate paid (even in Tokyo Standards)

Would you return?
Yes.
FLYGVA likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 9:21 pm

InterContinental Berlin

Spire Royal Ambassador

Were you happy with the hotel/stay?
Yes

Superior -> Junior Suite, 11th floor

How are the rooms?
Not significant bigger than the deluxe category (5qm difference), but with smaller bathroom.
Additional bath amenities: dental kit, shaving kit and larger Agraria bottles (100ml)
For view to zoo, Gedchtniskirche, Waldorf Astoria & Upper West ask for an odd room number (west wing)

How is the exec. lounge?
Breakfast from 6:30 to 11:00
Tea time from 2 pm to 5 pm
Canaps and open bar from 5pm to 8pm

As a result of the standardization measures launched at the beginning of 2017, the quality of the products has improved noticeably and the quantity has deteriorated significantly.
The latter would be forgivable if one still had a choice. But that's not the case: either you like the canaps or not. Otherwise, there is only a bit of cheese and bread left.
In my opinion, a very uneconomic cost distribution.
Cheap champagne, which tastes worse than a comparably expensive sparkling wine and a costly preparation of the canaps for each individual guest is so elaborate, so that the additional costs are out of all proportion to the result for the guest.

Standard Ambassador treatment, nothing special for RA

How was the mini-bar?
apple/orange juice, coke (+light), 4 bottles of water, 2x Thomas henry bottles, red bull (+sugar free), 5x5cl hard liqueur, Toblerone, Pringles, Haribo, snickers, peanuts, condoms

What was good?
-Attentive staff at club lounge
- drink voucher for Marlene Bar/Restaurant for 2 persons.
-Minibar was removed from the bill (also snacks) without mentioning it,
honest-friendly and not technically-friendly.
I know my status, and as a regular I do not want to get eyerytime this feigned fuss like "Thank you for your loyalty, we are are so happy to welcome you back again, as a RA you get ... blaaaa"
- Very (!) impressive and rich room breakfast for only 10EUR room service fee. Restaurant breakfast + room breakfast are included (also specialities, during regular breakfast time)
- Check in at 6:30 without problems.

What was bad?
-Minibar had room temperature, always had to order ice to the room
- IC Berlin tends to stick 100% to one- or two-category upgrade (AMB/RA).
Everything beyond that is due to lack of possibilities, e.g. when you book club superior and they have to upgrade you to Club Junior Suite and they only have 2 of them, but blocked for other guest.

Value for $?
Great Value for 105EUR as an RA, when meanwhile 109EUR for 20qm "family room" at motel one Ku'Damm

Would you return?
Yes.

FLYGVA likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 7:46 am

IC Singapore

No.

Booked Premier room. Received "premier Suite". Very strange new upgrade rules. Basically the same room, but according to their new upgrade rules, "premier Suite" is 2 Level upgrade from "premier room". Actually this is no upgrade at all but only free Club Access, which should be available anyway due to RA status... As a repeating customer this is VERY disappointing and a shame to see the hotel basically abusing the new RA rules.

How are the rooms?
The premier room/Suite is very nice.

How is the exec. lounge?
Very good.

key chain.

How was the minibar?
Nothing spectacular. Was much better in the previous years with Fiji water and more alcohol.

-Good
Nice room, even if there was no upgrade.

-Bad
Abuse of RA upgrade rules by introducing several new room categories ("Grand Deluxe, etc.") and telling that "Club Deluxe" is an upgrade from "Deluxe" etc. even though it is the same room type with the only Addition of Club Access.

Medium.

Would you return?
No. Definitely no. I stayed at this property for more than 100 nights and the Management is cheating their best customers by introducing fantasy room upgrades. Will stay at another beautiful hotel where loyality is valued.
FLYGVA likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 1:41 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS (21),QF G, NZ E, IHG D Amb, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Shangri-La Jade, Accor Plat, Hertz P
Originally Posted by Fun_Flyer
No.

Booked Premier room. Received "premier Suite". Very strange new upgrade rules. Basically the same room, but according to their new upgrade rules, "premier Suite" is 2 Level upgrade from "premier room". Actually this is no upgrade at all but only free Club Access, which should be available anyway due to RA status... As a repeating customer this is VERY disappointing and a shame to see the hotel basically abusing the new RA rules.

How are the rooms?
The premier room/Suite is very nice.

How is the exec. lounge?
Very good.

key chain.

How was the minibar?
Nothing spectacular. Was much better in the previous years with Fiji water and more alcohol.

-Good
Nice room, even if there was no upgrade.

-Bad
Abuse of RA upgrade rules by introducing several new room categories ("Grand Deluxe, etc.") and telling that "Club Deluxe" is an upgrade from "Deluxe" etc. even though it is the same room type with the only Addition of Club Access.

Medium.

Would you return?
No. Definitely no. I stayed at this property for more than 100 nights and the Management is cheating their best customers by introducing fantasy room upgrades. Will stay at another beautiful hotel where loyality is valued.
if you are a repeating customer, surely you would be aware of this? Its been in place since the renovation.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by Eltham

if you are a repeating customer, surely you would be aware of this? It’s been in place since the renovation.
Honestly spoken: No. I have previously always been upgraded from Deluxe or Heritage room to Premier Suite.
This time I was in Need for a bigger room and booked premier, only to be upgraded to the same room which I have booked. This is really bad. Next stays will definitely go to Conrad or MBS. If you cheat your best customers so much, you be Aware the customer feels no longer valued.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 12:31 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS (21),QF G, NZ E, IHG D Amb, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Shangri-La Jade, Accor Plat, Hertz P
Originally Posted by Fun_Flyer
Honestly spoken: No. I have previously always been upgraded from Deluxe or Heritage room to Premier Suite.
This time I was in Need for a bigger room and booked premier, only to be upgraded to the same room which I have booked. This is really bad. Next stays will definitely go to Conrad or MBS. If you cheat your best customers so much, you be Aware the customer feels no longer valued.
Both inferior hotels, but enjoy. As a repeating customer at the IC I am sure youve built a relationship with senior management - I have always found them very quick to remedy issues. Just walking doesnt help you or them.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Eltham

Both inferior hotels, but enjoy. As a repeating customer at the IC I am sure youve built a relationship with senior management - I have always found them very quick to remedy issues. Just walking doesnt help you or them.
I agree. I too have over 100 nights at the IC SIN (spread out over many years) and am treated very well by the hotel. On one hand, they used to automatically upgrade us from cheapest to a Premier "L" room (which I argue is not a suite), but I guess they along with several other IC's have dumbed down their upgrades for RA's. Still you can always email or call reservations and negotiate your upgrade, assuming you are a regular customer. I've never had less than a Premier room.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy
I agree. I too have over 100 nights at the IC SIN (spread out over many years) and am treated very well by the hotel. On one hand, they used to automatically upgrade us from cheapest to a Premier "L" room (which I argue is not a suite), but I guess they along with several other IC's have dumbed down their upgrades for RA's. Still you can always email or call reservations and negotiate your upgrade, assuming you are a regular customer. I've never had less than a Premier room.
I have over 100 stays - probably 3-400 nights in total. Agree the Premier rooms are not suites but they see a higher floor Premier room as an upgrade. Im lucky enough to get a Royal Suite as minimum these days. But it all comes down to that relationship with the GM and their team.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 9:08 am

Programs: IHG, RC, HH, AA, QF, UA, Aeroplan
Barclay

New York Barclay

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you
generally) happy with the hotel/stay?

Yes, much happier than stay two days earlier.

booked one base room, and one executive on BOGO, two room catergories under one bed suite. they upgraded both to one bed suites.

How are the rooms?
the one bedroom suites were quite different in size, but plenty of room.
​​​​
How is the exec. lounge?
It's on the ground floor, behind the bar. The breakfast buffet has a reasonable selection of hot and cold items, and there is a different country food theme nightly, with a selection hot and cold items, and beer and wine. Paulette in the lounge is wonderful.

No, nor a welcome letter, received drink vouchers for Spire benefit.

How was the minibar?
Good. half bottle Moet, white wine x 375ml x 1, red wine x 1, cans of various beers, and basic spirits.
Bad, have a preference for beer bottles, had just had a stay at the Willard, and the first thing i noticed at the Barclay, was the aluminium canned beer.

Good
  • Mini bar;
  • Location;
  • Lounge
  • GM, a gentleman, although Mr Herve Houdre finished up at the Barclay during this stay;
  • the managers were very helpful.
Bad
  • Barking dog, in adjoining room (they said they'd normally move owner, but couldn't locate them);
  • No Welcome Letter;
  • No Welcome Gift.
Value for $ or Priority Points
Reasonable, with BOGO on one suite

Would you return?
Yes..
FLYGVA likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 2:57 am

Programs: QR Plat, HH Diamond
IC Grand Stanford HK

Spire Royal Ambassador

Yes

booked cheapest and got a very rare upgrade to a Jr Suite which was quite cool

How are the rooms?
Junior Suite is rather large compared to normal rooms with separate sitting area, large bathroom and closet. GREAT VIEW of skyline in Central from west end of building

How is the exec. lounge?
I really like this lounge but it was the most crowded I have ever seen it and I was miffed there was really not enough seating

bottle opener with China mask

How was the mini-bar?
mini-bar was weaker than normal, they seem to have removed the lone bottle of local craft beer that is usually included

Yes

What was good?
the room upgrade

What was bad?
Club was too crowded and mini-bar was lean

IMO this is as good a value as any hotel in HK, particularly if you are an RA

Would you return?
Yes.
FLYGVA likes this.

Last edited by #1son; Jan 17, 2018 at 7:40 pm
Old Jan 17, 2018, 10:01 am

Programs: FB Plat, IHG RA Spire, TK Elite+, HH Diamond, LH SEN, Marriott Titanium
Intercontinental Vienna

Y
...its ok... was here over New Years.

booked 3 nights on points over New Years Eve. Received junior suite with full RA benefits

How are the rooms?
Bit old, tired. Seperate living room and bedroom. The rooms are fine.

How is the exec. lounge?
pretty good, lovely service. Made to order eggs etc in the morning and very willing to accommodate all needs.

Some of the hotels own honey it grows on the roof. Kinda cool

How was the minibar?
​​​​​​​standard, nothing good nothing bad.

-Good​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​-
full RA benefits on award
- good location
​​​​​​​- service was good

-Bad
- holy crap this is the ugliest IC Ive seen on the outside. I couldnt believe it! It was possibly one of the ugliest buildings I saw in Vienna. Such an eye sore
- cash nights regularly run at 200 / night. I wouldnt bother with this without RA.

- for points, yes.

Would you return?
only because RA
FLYGVA likes this.

Last edited by Lewis42; Jan 18, 2018 at 4:02 am Reason: Vienna... not Prague... doh!
Old Jan 17, 2018, 10:08 am

Programs: FB Plat, IHG RA Spire, TK Elite+, HH Diamond, LH SEN, Marriott Titanium
InterContinental Ljubljana

yep, lovey modern hotel.
​​​​​​​
booked 3 nights on points. Received 2 cat upgrade to Club room.

How are the rooms?
Pretty large, modern, beautiful design and plenty of electric outlets. Not a big deal for working on if required though!

How was the minibar?
Not so great, very small wine bottles, smallish quantity of bottles overall. But nothing terrible really.

-Good
​​​​​​​- good location, 5-10 mins to the old town by walking
- good breakfast in both lounge and restaurant
- beautiful spa / pool area
- super friendly staff

-Bad
- a terrible entrance! Surprisingly tough to find it...
- never refilled water and coffee pods, had to ask two days in a row. In fact the first time they brought up a plate of snacks to apologise but they forgot the coffee and water!
​​​​​​​
Yes
​​​​​​​
Would you return?
for sure, it would make a great, affordable relaxing weekend away.
FLYGVA likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.