Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please post your Royal Ambassador experiences 2018

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2018, 10:15 am

Programs: FB Plat, IHG RA Spire, TK Elite+, HH Diamond, LH SEN, Marriott Titanium
Intercontinental Cali

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?
- it’s cheap but my god it’s not a good IC

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
Booked one or two up from cheapest and received a suite. My app never reflected the change so I don’t know for sure.
​​​​​​​
How are the rooms?
large but old and outdated...

​​​​​​​How is the exec. lounge?
Hahahahahahahahahahah. Don’t even go there. It’s like a old US holiday Inn lounge. Freaking awful. if I paid for access I would have demanded a refund.

Did you receive a welcome gift?
​​​​​​​thinking about it... no...Just some fruit...

How was the minibar?
ok quantity of things but low quality

What was good and what was bad?

-Good
- it’s cheap, really cheap
- good location

-Bad
​​-
the lounge
- very low levels of English from the staff
​​​​​​​- it’s a very basic IC, perhaps the most basic I’ve visited?
​​​​​​​
Value for $ or Priority Club Points?
- for less than €100 night some times, you get what you pay for.
​​​​​​​
Would you return?
- lots in this year for work but it seems there are no other real choices in the city.
FLYGVA likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 4:55 am

Programs: IHG
Originally Posted by Fun_Flyer
No.

Booked Premier room. Received "premier Suite". Very strange new upgrade rules. Basically the same room, but according to their new upgrade rules, "premier Suite" is 2 Level upgrade from "premier room". Actually this is no upgrade at all but only free Club Access, which should be available anyway due to RA status... As a repeating customer this is VERY disappointing and a shame to see the hotel basically abusing the new RA rules.

How are the rooms?
The premier room/Suite is very nice.

How is the exec. lounge?
Very good.

key chain.

How was the minibar?
Nothing spectacular. Was much better in the previous years with Fiji water and more alcohol.

-Good
Nice room, even if there was no upgrade.

-Bad
Abuse of RA upgrade rules by introducing several new room categories ("Grand Deluxe, etc.") and telling that "Club Deluxe" is an upgrade from "Deluxe" etc. even though it is the same room type with the only Addition of Club Access.

Medium.

Would you return?
No. Definitely no. I stayed at this property for more than 100 nights and the Management is cheating their best customers by introducing fantasy room upgrades. Will stay at another beautiful hotel where loyality is valued.

Premier room is standard RA upgrade from base room.

Last edited by turner32; Jan 18, 2018 at 5:00 am
Old Jan 18, 2018, 10:52 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Fun_Flyer
Booked Premier room. Received "premier Suite". Very strange new upgrade rules. Basically the same room, but according to their new upgrade rules, "premier Suite" is 2 Level upgrade from "premier room".
Premier Room and Premier Suite are not the same rooms. I have stayed in both many times and are definitely different.

In Premier Room you see quite a long room with a 'bulkhead' like wall in the room (but not fully separating the room) behind which the desk sits, and it is not a suite.

Then there is a Premier Suite which is definitely composed of two rooms (although there is no door between the two rooms, from memory).

So, if you were given a non-suite as Premier Suite it would have been a mistake, possibly due to names being too similar.
You could have spoken to them at the time. They would have fixed it. I haven't had any cause to complain to them but I know they are very helpful.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Jan 18, 2018 at 11:00 am
Old Jan 21, 2018, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Atlanta

Yes

Booked deluxe, given Club room

How are the rooms?
They are all the same size, deluxe, premier, executive, club. Only the suites are larger and they do not upgrade to those anymore from a deluxe booking. I did an 8am check in so got a temporary deluxe room which was exactly the same as the Club room I was given later in the day. But the rooms are large and pretty nice. Large bathroom with separate shower and tub.
​​​​
How is the exec. lounge?
Pretty good with good happy hour food and decent breakfast. Bulliet Bourbon at happy hour, etc.

How was the minibar?
OK with decent red and white plus a split of California sparkling wine that I did not try. Macallan 12y whiskey.

Good
Good quality hotel with good club service
​​​​​​
Bad:
I got two emails about using the Mobile Key feature here. I registered my phone, but it froze on downloading the key to my phone. I tried multiple times and the staff just shrugged and said "technology". Not a big deal of course.

Yes

Would you return?
Yes
FLYGVA likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 2:23 am

Programs: SIA Solitaire PPS, IHG Royal Amb, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Hhonor Gold
IC Bangkok

Intercontinental Bangkok

Mostly yes.

Booked Executive Deluxe. Subsequently received email to inform me that the 2-tier upgrade room which is Corner Suite is full and offered to revise price by THB1,200++ for stay (I am using the BOGO voucher). I have responded that I am celebrating my Birthday and would like to check if there are able to offer the upgraded room. They then committed that upgraded room (i.e. Corner Suite) is available.

How are the rooms?
Large room with a separate living room, bedroom and the toilet. Room is clean, but the sound proofing is not that great and at times, I can hear the conversation next time. My neighbours are Japanese and I can hear their conversation from time to time, especially when i am seated at the desk with my laptop near the connecting door between my room and theirs.

How is the exec. lounge?
Much better than before. It is no longer very crowded. They will check against the list to ensure that the guest is eligible to use the Club Lounge. Service is still great. Breakfast is nice with various Thai, Western, Chinese and Japanese hot meal choices. However, the evening cocktail food selection is limited (especially the warm food selection) compared to the past (around 1 - 2 years ago).

I check-in at the lounge and they probably note from system that it was my birthday. The staff came by with a plate filled with some cakes and 2 candles and sang a birthday song to me. A warm touch by the team.

A bottle of red wine and a thai cloth (i think)
In addition, as it was my birthday, there was a small birthday cake and a card signed by the Housekeeping team.

How was the minibar?
Was ok with selection of alcohol and soft drinks

-Good
- Good location
- Excellent and attentive service by staff
- Lounge breakfast service and offering was great

-Bad
​​-
They have tried not to "offer" me the 2-tier upgrade that is to be provided to RA. They have claimed in the email that upgrade is subject to availability as opposed to guarantee upgrade. This was quickly sorted out thereafter
​​​​
- Good as I was using BOGO voucher
​​​​​​​
Would you return?
- Yes, for its location and service by staff
FLYGVA likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 5:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, IHG Diamond AMB, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
IC Austin

IC Steven F Austin

Meh, not thrilled.

Booked a traditional room (cheapest) and received a Club room.

How are the rooms?
There was nothing spectacular about the room. It was just one big room, no separate living area. To be honest it felt more along the lines of a Crowne Plaza than an Intercontinental, surprising considering the price.

How is the exec. lounge?
I did not have time to go, but it seems they offer breakfast in the morning, light snacks throughout the day, and appetizers and drinks at night. It is located right next to the front desk and access can be purchased by other guests.

No, and this was disappointing. No gift, no water/fruit, and no welcome letter.

How was the minibar?
Minibar was decent. Mumm champagne, Kenwood red, Kendall Jackson white, plenty of nips (Tito's, Absolut, Bacardi, Bombay, Johnnie Walker black and red, etc.) and some local beers and iced teas.

-Good
The minibar?

-Bad
Parking is $40++
No welcome gift, fruit/water, or welcome letter
Boring upgrade

Expensive for the quality in my opinion ($250-$300)

Would you return?
Probably not unless the rate was less than $200, which it almost never is.
FLYGVA likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 11:40 am

Programs: QR Plat, HH Diamond
IC Riyadh

not really

booked cheapest, got a larger room, nothing special

How are the rooms?
not bad but definitely did not get a suite

How is the exec. lounge?
snacks in the evening were dreadful

accompanied by mocktails and near beer :- l

service + breakfast was decent

no

How was the minibar?
a couple juices, soft drinks and waters, lots of cheap candy snacks

nothing particularly good or bad

it is not an overly well-run hotel IMO

if rate is SAR 700 or less

Would you return?
probably but there are different RAs ( real ambassadors) that seem to be getting the exceptional service at this IC, this is more the go-to hotel with the Ritz Carlton being fully booked these days
FLYGVA likes this.

Last edited by #1son; Jan 26, 2018 at 11:50 am
Old Jan 28, 2018, 1:12 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum (3 Million Miler), IHG Spire Royal Amdassador
IC Lisbon

IC Lisbon
Yes

Booked Intercontinental Deluxe zroom, received Junior Suite

How are the rooms?
The Junior Suite was really just a larger room with no separate seating area, but it did have a view of the park. The hotel rooms are currently being renovated and the room I had was definitely showing wear and test. There wasn't a couch, but there were two chaise lounge chairs.
The shower was the smallest cubicle I have ever seen! I'm not a big person, but I had trouble shaving my legs in there.

How is the exec. lounge?
The lounge is located off of the lobby and was nearly empty the whole time I was there. Breakfast was great - lots of variety - with cooked to order eggs and other items. The evening cocktail hours are from 5 to 7pm, so it was hard to get to. I did get there twice, though. They had an assortment of Portuguese items every night, all as single servings, plus bread and cheese. Excellent wine selection, several beer options, lots of liquor. All self serve but the staff bends over backwards to make sure you have everything you need.

Received fruit everyday, plus one large bottle of still water and a smaller bottle of sparkling water. Also received a small model of a Lisbon trolley, plus some chocolate and tea.

How was the minibar?
Pretty good with local wine and port. No red wine, but there was a 375 ml bottle of sparkling rose and a 375ml bottle of champagne. Several local beers, lots of mini liquor. There was a large 750ml bottle of port and Johnnie Walker, but wasn't sure if that was actually included for RA.

-Good:
- Location, it's not right in the center of town but it's a quick subway ride or 20 minute walk
-- Views of the park from the room
-- The staff is friendly and so accommodating, club staff was outstanding
-- Mini bar

-Bad
-- Rooms are a little tired, but that should be resolved with on going renovation

Yes, definitely a good deal at 125 euros/night

Would you return?
Yes!
FLYGVA likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 1:13 pm

Programs: FB Plat, IHG RA Spire, TK Elite+, HH Diamond, LH SEN, Marriott Titanium
Any idea when they expect to finish the renovation in Lisbon?
Old Jan 29, 2018, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Downtown Los Angeles

Yes

Booked exec with BOGO, given Luxury Suite with Club

How are the rooms?
Unfortunately the luxury suite is not actually a suite. It is just a slightly larger than normal room, in the corner with views in two directions. But the views are spectacular and the overall room quality is very good. Great water pressure in the shower cabin and the bathtub looked good.

This hotel ranks up there with Hong Kong, Sydney and certain rooms at the Mark Hopkins as the top IC's in the world for views. HOWEVER that is thanks mainly to the Santa Ana winds that blow this time of year and wash the skies clear of smog. Without smog, LA is the most beautiful city in the world as seen from above. But it will not look this nice in the summer.

Previously I stayed at the nearby Ritz Carlton and the views are great from the 23rd floor Club lounge. And I've been up on the 50th floor of a nearby office building. But here the lobby is on 70, and the open air bar is on 73 and it is just so much more stunning at that level. I sat in bed and watched helicopters flying by at my level. My windows were facing north and east. The Hollywood sign is in clear view to the northwest. From the south you can watch the planes landing at LAX and they also fly overhead if coming from the west. And of course you can see the ocean to the west, as well as the south.

The 7th floor pool is outdoor and very nice. A good hot Jacuzzi too. The gym is huge and ultra modern. Someone told me that the sloped jogging machines go for $3000. The bad news is that the steam and saunas are not up and running yet. And yoga/pilates, etc. classes are currently only once per week on Wednesdays, but we saw them training new trainers while we were there so maybe that will increase soon. Also bad news for us in that they closed off the pool one afternoon/evening due to some celebrity event. No warning at all. Just some nasty security guard telling us to go away.

How is the exec. lounge?
Large and really good quality. It reminds me a bit of the new IC Beijing Sanlitun lounge, so perhaps the same designer. It is on level 70 with the lobby and everyone using the 70-53 elevator bank can turn left and walk into the club. No key card, but they do stop everyone who walks in and ask them for their room number. It was never busy while I was there which meant service was excellent. The selection of food was also great and you can certainly eat dinner in the club if you are so inclined. But the downtown restaurant scene has improved dramatically from a decade ago. And there are a bunch of new restaurants in this hotel.

How was the minibar?
Interesting. Aside from the normal stuff, there is a half-bottle Billecart-Salmon Champagne. And French red and white wine bottles, but they are in 100ml test tubes! It must be some new LA hipster thing. Both were in the fridge which is not a good idea for a Bordeaux. Lots of vodka and tequila too. And a microbrew.

Good
Physically awesome new hotel.
My room was ready at 8am
Excellent food quality in the club
​​​​​​
Bad:
Service was hit and miss. It was mostly a lack of coordination. Everyone was very polite though.
The unannounced celebrity event that closed the pool was bad.
Due to the physical layout of the hotel there are multiple elevator banks you must use. But they move pretty quickly. Also there are a lot of corner rooms rather than a square building that has four corners per floor. Which means that a lot of people can see into your corner room if you don't have the drapes at least partially closed. That said, I never saw anyone occupying the other corner rooms near mine. My guess is that these Luxury Suites are rather underutilized. There wasn't a single blemish in my room, and they told me that they had it prepared for me a day before my arrival.

Great value with the BOGO. It is kind of pricey otherwise, but still a good RA value in any case.

Would you return?
Yes
FLYGVA and Raynyan like this.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 3:11 pm

InterContinental Doha - The City

Yeah

Cheapest room received Junior Site

How are the rooms?
Pretty nice. Seperate living room, large windows with a beautiful view. Not the most fancy but not bad!

How is the exec. lounge?
Beautiful panoramic views. Good service from the staff. I did not try the food I just drank lots of tea and coffee.

Lots of fruit and chocolates...

How was the minibar?
I didn't check, I wasn't there long enough

-Good
Good price (£90)
Good hotel for the cost
Service was good
Nice views
Pretty modern hotel
Beautiful lounge views

-Bad
They need to clean the windows!

Yeah for sure

Would you return?
The location for a tourist trip seems pretty lame but sure I guess I would return.
FLYGVA likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 5:03 pm

IC Medellin

IC Medellin, Colombia

It was ok.

Booked cheapest, got executive suite incl. club access

How are the rooms?
Size of approx. 2 regular rooms. Living room with worktable, sofa, chair etc. Bedroom with good size bed. Wooden floor with carpet below the bed. Big bathroom with separate tub and shower. The room seems to have been recently renovated, but they left a few old items in place, like the door to the bathroom, the bathtub and fixtures which makes it look weird.
Hotel itself looks somewhat dated - from the outside it looks like a tear down

How is the exec. lounge?
Weird. They just took a few rooms an both sides of the corridor and added a door between some of the rooms. They have food between 2 pm and 8 pm. Not much selection and very mediocre quality. After 6 pm you can also order hot dishes (around 10 different) and deserts (3 different) from a menu. They need to order from room service and it takes almost half an hour. It seems they are mainly regular appetizers from the restaurant. Service is very friendly and very inefficient.

Points, fruits (only first day) and water

How was the minibar?
Below average. Some beers, juices and soft drinks

-Good
- Upgrade to suite plus club
- Staff was very friendly, but often extremely inefficient
- Concierge extremely helpful
- Pool is nice

-Bad
- Club lounge (layout and food)
- Location: you need to take taxis for everything (not expensive, around 3-4 USD to malls and restaurants
- Breakfast in the main restaurant: very small selection of lower quality item. It was more like you would expect at a 3 star place
- Agria. And not even big bottles in the suite.
- Very dim lighting. No reading lights at the bed.
- No power outlets next to bed

The rate was pretty reasonable, but I would rather spend more and have a better experience

Would you return?[/QUOTE]
Most likely not

Last edited by Unterwegs; Jan 30, 2018 at 11:21 am Reason: Added a few good/bad items
Old Jan 29, 2018, 7:06 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum (3 Million Miler), IHG Spire Royal Amdassador
Originally Posted by Lewis42
Any idea when they expect to finish the renovation in Lisbon?
I'm not sure, I think it'll be several more months at least.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 1:21 am

Originally Posted by VaBeachGirl
I'm not sure, I think it'll be several more months at least.
perhaps spring 2019 would be a great time for visit Lisbon ☺️
Old Feb 2, 2018, 9:43 am

IC Jeddah

no

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you received

booked cheapest got fake two category upgrade to unimpressive Club Room.

How are the rooms?
fairly small and tired, outlets did not work on desk

How is the exec. lounge?
probably the only good service you get in hotel, decent snacks and breakfast but nothing special

​​​​​​​yes some sort of mini brass sculpture of tea pot..

How was the minibar?
supposedly they only refill once per stay from what welcome letter said? it is only waters and soft drinks

-Good
gym is nice, pool not bad
personnel in Club Lounge are attentive

-Bad
​​weak upgrade
beat up rooms
check-in staff could barely communicate in English
not following RA mini-bar rules
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
not really
​​​​​​​
Would you return?

probably only to help maintain my RA status but for no other reason
FLYGVA likes this.

Last edited by saint77; Feb 2, 2018 at 5:33 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.