Points booking - non-cancelable?

Old Dec 18, 17, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lionheart View Post
With regards to point 2 - if this was booked over the telephone (which appears to be the case), then it would have needed to be explained that IHG T&Cs are a refund of the points and instead a Credit Card charge will be made for a no-show. A website can just show the T&Cs which would instead need explaining over the phone. OP can claim it was mis-sold (depending on what was said, I can only speculate) and they, IHG, should listen to the call again.

EDIT: Unless you're willing to argue a CC chargeback (and then potentially risk IHG Rewards Suspension), convincing IHG will be hard work, I'd just like to think you do have a small chance, rather than no chance
thanks! I hope Iíve got a chance.

​​​​​​​yeah I always think I have a good chance.
​​​​​​​
Old Dec 18, 17, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lionheart View Post
Interesting that this seems so clear cut to others.

As a casual IHG member, I would always believe that the deposit is your points. And so you will lose the points you booked with (The deposit, is after all, your 120,000 points).

Of course the others here know what they are talking about & are almost certainly technically correct, but as a consumer/customer, it's very easy to argue that you have been misled & your CC should be all over it as an unauthorised / fraudulent transaction if needs be.

Deposit: "a sum payable as a first instalment on the purchase of something or as a pledge for a contract, the balance being payable later."

You can prove what your deposit was (120,000 points) and that these points are non-refundable. Therefore you lose your deposit of points, you've made no cash deposit whatsoever. Very simple for a credit card company Unless they have a different definition of deposit, they are ambiguous.
thanks I agree!!!
Old Dec 18, 17, 7:07 pm

Programs: NZ
I am curious as to why the hotel has your CC details? Did you provide the details over the phone at time of booking? I am also confused by the fact that you say you had a three night booking but only two on points. Was one night paid in cash? This would then explain why you gave your credit card details.
Old Dec 18, 17, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by minz56 View Post
I am curious as to why the hotel has your CC details? Did you provide the details over the phone at time of booking? I am also confused by the fact that you say you had a three night booking but only two on points. Was one night paid in cash? This would then explain why you gave your credit card details.
honestly - I donít remember if I gave them or not. I was booking 6 flights and 4 hotels in 3 countries - all in a 2 hour span. It was also 2am. I did have the first night on my IHG anniversary free night.
Old Dec 18, 17, 7:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Pookynubbers View Post

honestly - I donít remember if I gave them or not. I was booking 6 flights and 4 hotels in 3 countries - all in a 2 hour span. It was also 2am. I did have the first night on my IHG anniversary free night.
If you have two nights on points and one night not on points, this would probably be treated as two separate reservations with a different cancellation penalty for each one.
Old Dec 18, 17, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
If you have two nights on points and one night not on points, this would probably be treated as two separate reservations with a different cancellation penalty for each one.
correct. The free night award shows as cancelable but the points booking says no dice.

I was hoping their would be some better treatment as opposed to some draconian policy that makes no real sense. They wonít have trouble selling the room - so creating a disgruntled customer is a poor business decision - the customer is almost always right. Iím a Hyatt globalist and would like to stay somewhat loyal to ihg but they are making it difficult.
Old Dec 18, 17, 8:46 pm

Programs: Marriott and MLife Platinum, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Spire Elite, Hyatt Explorist
May I be the outlier here and just offer a perspective that may not apply in this particular circumstance, yet is worth being aware of. I booked an IHG stay over Christmas week on points 11 months ago and fortunately kept the original email confirmation showing that I could cancel without any penalty up until day prior to check in. Each night was booked as a separate confirmation to allow some flexibility since I couldn't yet book my flights. Fast forward to this week, I had need to cancel just one of the nights and when viewing the reservation through my IHG account it showed as being non cancelable. I contacted customer service and they were able to pull my original booking terms and refund the points.
Old Dec 19, 17, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by utgypsy View Post
[...] kept the original email confirmation showing that I could cancel without any penalty up until day prior to check in.

[...] IHG account it showed as being non cancelable. [...]
Poor business practice by IHG, in my opinion. Poor business practice made even worse if IHG did not notify you that it wanted to change the terms.
Old Dec 19, 17, 10:49 am

Programs: IHG Rewards Club Spire Elite, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by serpens View Post
Poor business practice by IHG, in my opinion. Poor business practice made even worse if IHG did not notify you that it wanted to change the terms.
Agreed, but that could have simply been because the hotel noticed all of the single-night bookings and tried to merge them tomgether somehow to keep you in the same room for the whole stay. But at least IHG corrected it when contacted.
Old Dec 19, 17, 1:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Pookynubbers View Post

correct. The free night award shows as cancelable but the points booking says no dice.

I was hoping their would be some better treatment as opposed to some draconian policy that makes no real sense. They wonít have trouble selling the room - so creating a disgruntled customer is a poor business decision - the customer is almost always right. Iím a Hyatt globalist and would like to stay somewhat loyal to ihg but they are making it difficult.
If the customer makes a booking and the original confirmation states that it is non-cancellable
The customer then wants to cancel
The customer is not right in trying to insist that the terms should not apply

There is no reason to be disgruntled if the company is simply keeping to the terms at time of booking
Old Dec 21, 17, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
Another tack you may want to try is instead of canceling, to change the booking. For this, you may need to contact the hotel reservations directly. Change it to a future date when you can use the rooms. This can work for "noncancellable" paid reservations as well, especially if you're a frequent guest and/or have status.
I wouldn't abuse this, but I've done this a few times (both free and prepaid reservations) due to flight disruptions; if the reason you're not there is you got stranded due to a flight cancellation/misconnection/etc., then they are likely to be sympathetic. But not the central reservation; this is at the discretion of the hotel. Some hotels, when you call them and ask for the hotel reservation transfer you to the central 800 number. Hang up, call back, talk to the front desk and explain your problem.
But if you knew it was noncancellable when booked, then you likely have no case. Or if it was cancellable up to 48 hours, and now it's 24 hours before, it's no noncancellable.

I also agree with other posters; I think the penalty for a "noncancellable" points reservation is that you lose the points; in this case 1 night.
Old Dec 22, 17, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Hello - final update:

Reservation Was canceled and all points and free night certificate was posted back to my account. No charges for the cancellation. It took a little effort and not accepting no a couple of times. But that’s somewhat the norm in the customer service industry. I’veearnsd you just gotta keep trying and eventually they will see that it’s more beneficial to have a happy customer if it doesn’t “cost” them anything at all.
Old Dec 26, 17, 12:28 pm

Programs: 1MM UA
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
If the customer makes a booking and the original confirmation states that it is non-cancellable.
The customer then wants to cancel.
The customer is not right in trying to insist that the terms should not apply
I think the customer was right to ask and the hotel was right to comply.
Terms and Conditions might (or might not) be clear. But they weren't written with every situation in mind.
Old Jun 18, 19, 3:18 pm

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.
Hello, I have a free night 'certificate' from my IHG Creation credit card in the UK.
If I need to cancel the night will the free night certificate be returned to me for use again (within the expiry date of course).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: