$1000 cash stolen from IC Washington DC Waterfront

Old Dec 18, 2017, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by fotographer
I stay at IC around the world, they all have carmeras in the hallways to see who is coming and going, never had anything taken, but I am sure they will find the scum,
Just because employees entering the room does not make them thieves.

Others? Another story.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 7:24 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008
so this just happened to my mother in law 48 hours ago. She came to the US from South America. She purchased a new home here, and if you know what it is like trying to transfer cash internationally its a huge hassle. So she came two days ago with $4,000 in cash, before going to her new home I got her two nights at this new hotel (thought it was nice, brand new IC, what could go wrong)

well she was sight seeing for the day with $4,000 cash in her wallet in the hotel room Im guessing not in the safe. She returns to the room, do not disturb sign was taken off the door and the room was serviced. Upon returning she noticed her purse was out of place. $1000 was missing of $4000.

police were called, hotel is investigating. They told my MIL they can stay a third night to wait for the results of the investigation, and the hotel may or may not comp the third night - depending on what they come up with.

She is a very honest lady. She is not trying to scam the hotel. I asked her to triple check that she did not misplace it - she says no. How likely is it, housekeeping ??? took $1000 of $4000 hoping she did not notice until too late?

YES how stupid to leave so much cash in a hotel room. Other than making sure everything is on paper or written down from hotel management? What should I suggest they do?
Hotel manager can see from computer which employee cards are used to open the door, along with the time. I agree with others theft of type associated with employyes hoping MIL does not notice before leaving versus non-employee who'd take it all.

MIL ... a day sight seeing.... Unfortunately means that multiple hotel employees had legit reason to access room, may 3x whilst out of hotel.
o Maid to clean room/bed/bathroom
o minibar checker
o turndown maid
(If only one entry eg 'bed makeup maid' all day, that maid should be questioned, but even then only provable if fingerprints on MILs purse or $$ notes left behind)

If just happened say whilst grabbing breakfast in 30minute window, then only likely one employee to identify/check. Day out means 3x employees in room.

If hotel does not get back to MIL, hotel simply does not want to supply hotel employees names entering MIL room to MIL to persue. If repeated thefts reported, hotel manager would be able to see/identify if a small number of employees were entering guests rooms that suffer reported thefts.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
My name is and I am the Executive Assistant Manager Rooms at the InterContinental. I would like to thank you for staying with us at the InterContinental Washington DC - The Wharf on your recent visit to DC.

I would like to keep you apprised of the investigation regarding your missing property. At this time we are still conducting internal interviews with the staff that accessed your room on Friday 12/15. Our Director of Security has reported the incident to our claims department and you should be in contact with them in the next 48 hours. Once our team finalizes the interviews we can update you further.

I again apologize about this inconvenience and we will have more answers in the coming days.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 6:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
My name is and I am the Executive Assistant Manager Rooms at the InterContinental. I would like to thank you for staying with us at the InterContinental Washington DC - The Wharf on your recent visit to DC.

I would like to keep you apprised of the investigation regarding your missing property. At this time we are still conducting internal interviews with the staff that accessed your room on Friday 12/15. Our Director of Security has reported the incident to our claims department and you should be in contact with them in the next 48 hours. Once our team finalizes the interviews we can update you further.

I again apologize about this inconvenience and we will have more answers in the coming days.
And the police?

Your mother most certainly ought to directly report this to the police.

While the property will never acknowledge liability, it may well be more helpful as a customer service matter if keeping the cops out is in the cards.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
And the police?

While the property will never acknowledge liability, it may well be more helpful as a customer service matter if keeping the cops out is in the cards.
Cops were called that day, though hasnt resulted in anything. Also have not threatened a bad review on TripAdvisor, yet, but I did leave all 1 stars and let them know I was unhappy that we havent heard anything back in their survey for chance to win 25,000 points- this is why I received the above email.

I also found out that Maryland law prohibits video cameras in hotel hallways. So there goes that.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 7:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by Often1
And the police?

I second this. In my case it was the arrival of the police that convinced the GM of the property to refund the stolen money to me, as a credit against my bill (without admitting liability of course). I am 100% convinced this was done to avoid the embarrassment of having the police question the staff.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I also found out that Maryland law prohibits video cameras in hotel hallways. So there goes that.

What does Maryland law have to do with a DC hotel? Does DC have a similar law?

I assume the hotel has at the very least accessed the lock logs to see what keycards badged in?
Old Dec 18, 2017, 10:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by soitgoes
What does Maryland law have to do with a DC hotel? Does DC have a similar law?

I assume the hotel has at the very least accessed the lock logs to see what keycards badged in?
now I have to look into it, I think I meant DC law.

You would think the very least theyve done that but havent heard a thing minus that vague email. Unfortunately for them, and fortunately for MIL I can be the most annoying person alive and will get to the bottom of it even if it results in nothing being done.

Although keeping my expectations low, the very least I will ask the hotel to do is comp entirely the three night stay ($500-600).

Will see & will continue to update
Old Jan 4, 2018, 9:38 am

Programs: UA Platinum; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Is there an update?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.