Wiki Posts
Search

$1000 cash stolen from IC Washington DC Waterfront

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2017, 3:25 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by beachmouse
So IMO theft is just as likely to get a crime of opportunity by another guest if a housekeeper is called away from the room currently being cleaned with a door open.
Wouldn't it be highly negligent to leave the door open to a guest's room and then leave? I think it's almost so negligent as to make the housekeeper partially responsible for the theft.

HTB.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 5:29 am

I used to work in a few different upscale hotels. While they weren't common, we'd get a claim of stolen property from a guest about 8-12 times each year. Scammers think they hotel will reimburse the loss, but I don't remember that ever happening.

Without undeniable proof of theft by an employee, I don't picture the hotel doing anything here.

(To be clear, I'm not saying that Mauibaby2008's mother-in-law is a scammer.)
Old Dec 17, 2017, 6:00 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I stay at IC around the world, they all have carmeras in the hallways to see who is coming and going, never had anything taken, but I am sure they will find the scum,
Old Dec 17, 2017, 9:26 am

Why would they only take $1000? Why not take it all? Thats what I dont understand
Old Dec 17, 2017, 9:36 am
Suspended

Well beyond the age old issues of travelling with cash, what is interesting is that the thief only took $1000 of the $4000. I can't think of any reason for that other than the one suggested that the thief hoped it would not be noticed until after she had left the hotel. That certainly points to a hotel employee. Some opportunistic thief other than staff would have no reason to do that.

I doubt the thief will be caught and so it will just be lesson learned hopefully. Never travel with large amounts of cash and learn how to use an ATM for day to day cash needs.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 11:01 am

Programs: DL,EK
Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
I doubt the thief will be caught and so it will just be lesson learned hopefully. Never travel with large amounts of cash and learn how to use an ATM for day to day cash needs.
I am used to traveling with large amounts of cash because I travel to places where there are no ATMs (Iran, Sudan, Somalia, Cuba). I have never had anything stolen but then I never leave cash in the room - it is always on my person.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 11:22 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
When is the last time the cash was counted? After all, she had to go through airport security as well.

HTB.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 11:23 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Rather than speculating about who might have done it, the point for the broader audience is simply that one never leaves valuables, especially cash, out and about in a room. This is one of the newer places and certainly has in-room safes. But, for this amount of money, would one use the front desk hotel safe if there is nothing in the room.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Originally Posted by htb
When is the last time the cash was counted? After all, she had to go through airport security as well.

HTB.
no it was definitely stolen at the hotel. She said her purse was out of place upon getting back to the room. She’s the type of person that would know if something was out of place. But that’s definitely a good suggestion ..

still no update from the property. On the day of the crime the hotel said they would have answers for them that same night. We are now +48 hours and not a peep (not from the police either actually)

​​​​​​​does corporate ever get involved, and if so when should we contact them ?
Old Dec 17, 2017, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008

no it was definitely stolen at the hotel. She said her purse was out of place upon getting back to the room. She’s the type of person that would know if something was out of place. But that’s definitely a good suggestion ..

still no update from the property. On the day of the crime the hotel said they would have answers for them that same night. We are now +48 hours and not a peep (not from the police either actually)

does corporate ever get involved, and if so when should we contact them ?
Hate that this happened, but I wouldn't expect anything to come of it. The cops are busy chasing violent criminals, the hotel will claim no responsibility and IHG will send a canned response that they're sorry it happened.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 3:00 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic

Sorry that this happened but I imagine your MIL learned a valuable though costly lesson.

I would contact corporate and copy the top three or four layers you can find, plus the hotel's manager. Let them know that since your MIL has not been contacted as promised you will post this on TripAdvisor's listing and the hotel's Facebook page.

​​​​​​​They have not responded because they feel your MIL will just go away. Be the squeaky wheel.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 3:53 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
In terms of gathering evidence, there might be a hallway/common area camera but is there one in the room, where the theft happened, no way. And without that, I doubt the hotel would admit any liability and neither will the police want to spend time and effort to pursue a theft of $1,000. Sure the cameras might see someone go in / out of the room, but if its staff - then they might have a reason to be there ... if it's not, then I guess they could try and work out who that person is.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Corporate won't give you the money back. Just cursory apologies. I've had petty cash stolen from a suite at Park Hyatt Siem Reap and pretty much got treated like a scammer by management.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 6:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
This kind of theft is actually very common at hotels and yes, in circumstances like these it is almost certain that a hotel employee is responsible.

This is a stealth theft. The thief removes part of the money, hoping that the owner will not immediately notice that it's gone.

The same thing happened to me in Sri Lanka, where around $200 was stolen from my luggage, almost certainly by housekeeping staff. In my case, the hotel management replaced my cash to avoid the embarrassment of having the police called.

My father was the victim of the same modus operandi in a hotel in Port of Spain, where IIRC 400AUD was removed from his stash of around 2000AUD.

These days, if there is no safe in my hotel room I just keep my cash on my person.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 7:13 pm

Programs: Pre✓, Delta DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Mariott Plat, PC Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
Take the cash (and other valuables) with you. Period. End of story.

Other carrying cash common sense rules of thumb:
Tell no one you have any amount of cash on you.
Don't flash or in any other way inadvertently expose on indicate to anyone that you have large amounts of cash on you. This rule also applies to high end watches and jewelry.
Obviously rule one was broken in this case and possibly rules 2 and/or 3.

When I travel my valuables stay with me or in the trunk of my rental car. NOTHING of value gets left in my room during the work day.

Sorry for the OP's MIL. Just be thankful that all of it wasn't taken; count your blessings and consider the lesson learned.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.