Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Crowne Plaza - Looks like someone used my room for a break. What to do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2017, 8:37 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold

I’m ending a 3-night stay at a Crowne Plaza in a major Latin American city. Everything had been great until an odd situation this morning. I went down for breakfast at 10 AM, left the “do not disturb” sign on the door, and I’m 100% sure the door was locked.

When I came back no more than 30 minutes later, I immediately noticed that someone had used the in-room coffee maker. My cell phone charger had also been unplugged and moved, and the nightstand drawer was slightly ajar. None of my other possessions seem to have been touched.

I’m not sure I want to get a maid fired, but it seems like a couple lines were clearly crossed here. What to do?
Old Dec 16, 2017, 9:05 am

Tell the front desk.

There are other potential explanations (I was once given a key card that opened more than my room), so perhaps someone got confused, and walked into your room thinking it was theirs (wrong floor, or turned left instead of right, walked three doors down instead of four, and their key worked. They kicked up the coffee, started to grab their cell phone, and realized... whoops!). Maybe the maintenance unit was asked to check power or something, and got the wrong room.. maybe...

regardless, IHG can't do anything if they don't know, so just inform them.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 9:11 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I don’t believe it was an innocent mistake. I had made a cup of coffee for when I got back to the room, and it seems like someone who walked in and saw that and the cell phone charger would know to turn around and leave, not sit there and make another cup of coffee and unplug the charger.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joe_miami
I don’t believe it was an innocent mistake. I had made a cup of coffee for when I got back to the room, and it seems like someone who walked in and saw that and the cell phone charger would know to turn around and leave, not sit there and make another cup of coffee and unplug the charger.
Have you reported this to the Front Desk? posting here does not help you anything but reporting the incident would get the hotel's attention and address the issue.

At a minimum the hotel could tell WHICH card was used to enter the room while you were having breakfast.

I truly dont understand why you would post here to ask the question "What to do?" while not reporting this intrusion to the hotel front desk. If it is a maid who did that, she deserves to be fired because this obviously is NOT the appropriate behavior for ANY employee of a hotel. If they dont adhere to the employment requirements they do not deserve the job. Tough, but a lesson needs to be learned here.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 10:14 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Definitely report it to the front desk so that they would be able to explain the circumstance if it was legitimate (seems unlikely from your description), and prevent its recurrence if it was not legitimate.

To me, anyone even knocking on the door (except in emergency or at my request like a room service) while the Do Not Disturb sign is on is 'inappropriate', let alone walking into your room and doing things while the DND is on. So this case definitely seems worth reporting.

Unless, that is, you believe you might be suffering from a memory lapse and you actually made the coffee and unplugged the charger but you forgot about it.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 3:10 pm

Fine. If you don't like my advice to report it to the hotel, ignore it. You didn't pay anything for the advice, you are free to do so.

Perhaps someone else will come along here with advice you do wish to hear. Maybe you could fingerprint the coffee maker, and then track the culprit down through an illegal hack of the FBI fingerprint system database, and then go confront them.
b00mer89 likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 5:09 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Eh Latin America is very lax. I doubt anybody would get fired or even get a talking to if nothing was stolen.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008
Eh Latin America is very lax. I doubt anybody would get fired or even get a talking to if nothing was stolen.
Even if money was stolen the person might not get fired. Once I had a maid clearly assume that us stupid foreigners wouldn't notice if our 1,000 pesos notes were replaced by 100 peso notes. (or similar... it was a while ago)

To be fair it wasn't an international chain, but not only did the maid not get fired, but due to the "distress" we caused her (long time employee, never happened before, bla bla bla) our room was no longer serviced...
Old Dec 21, 2017, 3:20 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by graeylin
Fine. If you don't like my advice to report it to the hotel, ignore it. You didn't pay anything for the advice, you are free to do so.

Perhaps someone else will come along here with advice you do wish to hear. Maybe you could fingerprint the coffee maker, and then track the culprit down through an illegal hack of the FBI fingerprint system database, and then go confront them.
Even by FT standards, this seems incredibly thin-skinned. All I did was point out that one aspect of your feedback seemed unlikely to be the explanation in this particular case.

Anyway, when checking out, I mentioned it to the front desk, and they apologized and immediately called housekeeping to try to see what happened. I didn't have time to wait around, and I haven't heard anything from the hotel. Just a really weird incident, even by Lat. Am. standards.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 3:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Even by FT standards, this seems incredibly thin-skinned. All I did was point out that one aspect of your feedback seemed unlikely to be the explanation in this particular case.

Anyway, when checking out, I mentioned it to the front desk, and they apologized and immediately called housekeeping to try to see what happened. I didn't have time to wait around, and I haven't heard anything from the hotel. Just a really weird incident, even by Lat. Am. standards.
I would expect the GM to contact you about the incident. If this doesn't happen, escalate. Otherwise, as far as you know the front desk agent is protecting the buddy who did it and management is unaware that something very inappropriate happened.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 3:34 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I'm going to give it another day or so and then I'll follow up with the hotel. The funny thing is, the front desk lady asked me to be sure to fill out the post-stay survey I'll be receiving.*

(* Which I've already received — anyone know how long it will stay active? A lot of such surveys go inactive within a week, but I haven't done an IHG one lately. Thanks.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.