Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IHG credit card night certificate at Kimpton?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2017, 3:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: Brand loyalty is for suckers
IHG credit card night certificate at Kimpton?

I'm assuming in 2018 we'll be able to use the free night certs from the IHG card at Kimpton properties, but I haven't seen this confirmed. Don't see much discussion about it online apart from being able to redeem IHG points at Kimpton properties (which, from all appearances, will be pricey redemptions, points-wise).

If true, the IHG card becomes even more valuable, as there are really unique properties to use the certificate on rather than the aspirational Intercontinetals or the occasional nice Indigo (I'm looking at you, Lower East Side).

Thoughts?
Old Dec 6, 2017, 9:52 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
I can't recall seeing any specific statement with a confirmation, but Kimpton properties will be fully integrated into IHG Rewards for earning and redemption so I don't see any reason why they would be excluded from the Chase certificates.

Of course, keep in mind that awards at Kimpton properties have always been subject to capacity controls (in my experience, award availability has generally been much worse compared to IHG properties including Intercontinentals, and that's with my Inner Circle status which allegedly taps into a slightly expanded bucket of award night availability), and I'm not sure if IHG will be forcing any changes on that front when the properties integrate. I can imagine that, with many Kimptons amongst the nicest IHG options in many cities, that award availability may only get worse once all IHG members have access.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Brand loyalty is for suckers
Originally Posted by dw
I can imagine that, with many Kimptons amongst the nicest IHG options in many cities, that award availability may only get worse once all IHG members have access.
Hopefully that will force their hand to increase award availability.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 10:35 am

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
I too am waiting for the Kimptons to open up availability....
Old Jan 10, 2018, 5:30 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Just redeemed Chase free night certs for both my wife and myself at a Kimpton property - for a Spa Suite!!!
Old Jan 10, 2018, 7:30 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
Originally Posted by diver858
Just redeemed Chase free night certs for both my wife and myself at a Kimpton property - for a Spa Suite!!!
Be very careful about that - the new website is not the best. If you have other rates selected in addition to the chase free night in the search criteria, it would show the entire set of available rooms as free, and even the confirmation they will send you will show free. However the true rate will be connected to the underlining other rate that was part of the search. Make sure that it is really free by going back to the website and looking at the reservation - if it shows the underling rate and not free, I would not be surprised if the hotel will charge you that price when you show up.

Last edited by MD/DC Flyer; Jan 11, 2018 at 5:26 am
Old Jan 10, 2018, 12:59 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Yes, everything was screwed up when I tried to book my free night on the website- I was even able to get the Penthouse Suite at the Mark Hopkins for "free."

Used the app and everything appeared to be ok. I booked the Buchanan Kimpton in SF with my free night (City View King)
Old Jan 10, 2018, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by diver858
WOW - WHAT A MESS! Website somehow booked a AAA rate (~$1500 per night) with my free Chase Anniversary night, which was indeed an error. I did not want to risk showing up, having to pay for the room, ended up on the phone with a supervisor, who cancelled the reservation, manually reinstated the free night, booked a King Deluxe room.
CSRs were very professional, nice, apologetic - clearly not the standard IHG reservations team.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 11:43 pm

Programs: UA 1k, SPG/Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
I'm in the same situation. Website allowed booking of a suite at the Indigo in NY. Email confirmation confirms the room type and the use of the Chase Certificate and shows a rate of Free. Website now shows a rate of +/- $2,500. Should I just call the regular customer service and ask for a supervisor? Haven't had good experiences with IHG customer service for something like this but maybe they are assigning to a special team to deal with it.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 5:25 am

Originally Posted by aussieinsf
I'm in the same situation. Website allowed booking of a suite at the Indigo in NY. Email confirmation confirms the room type and the use of the Chase Certificate and shows a rate of Free. Website now shows a rate of +/- $2,500. Should I just call the regular customer service and ask for a supervisor? Haven't had good experiences with IHG customer service for something like this but maybe they are assigning to a special team to deal with it.
Just call - because cancelling the reservation will NOT reinstate the certificate automatically. You'll have to call to do get it back. It was an easy enough phone call, but I did call the Ambassador desk.

The new web site is another production web site that did not had enough UAT done on it.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 6:52 am

Glad they got all the kinks with the 'improved' website worked out before it was rolled out!
Old Jan 11, 2018, 10:07 am

Programs: UA Gold
I'm curious if anyone will try to use one of these suites/etc booked with the Free Night. Is this like mistake fares by the airlines?
Old Jan 11, 2018, 10:25 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by MD/DC Flyer
Just call - because cancelling the reservation will NOT reinstate the certificate automatically. You'll have to call to do get it back.
I've cancelled several times, and the certificate was always instantly right back in my account.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by nineworldseries
I've cancelled several times, and the certificate was always instantly right back in my account.
That is usually what happens - but not what would happen if you booked a room that was not supposed to be free.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.