FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   Ambassador renewal (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/1880474-ambassador-renewal.html)

puchong Dec 1, 2017 5:52 pm

Ambassador renewal

Since we are now in December, I checked on the link in my IHG control panel to possibly renew my Ambassador membership. Nowhere does it indicate that renewal will result in a complimentary Ambassador Weekend certificate as in previous years. Has this benefit / feature been withdrawn for 2018 or am I missing something?

PayItForward Dec 3, 2017 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by puchong (Post 29124025)
Since we are now in December, I checked on the link in my IHG control panel to possibly renew my Ambassador membership. Nowhere does it indicate that renewal will result in a complimentary Ambassador Weekend certificate as in previous years. Has this benefit / feature been withdrawn for 2018 or am I missing something?

I renewed a few months back but nevertheless, current language suggest the BOGO Certificate is still available.
https://www.ihg.com/intercontinental...nd-certificate

TERMS AND CONDITIONS1. Only available to InterContinental Ambassador members.

2. Upon purchase and renewal of InterContinental® Ambassador status, an Ambassador "Complimentary Weekend Night Certificate" (the "Certificate") is awarded. Each Certificate is valid for 12 months from the date of issue and is redeemable in conjunction with a minimum two-night weekend stay when booking the Ambassador "Weekend rate" at any InterContinental Hotels & Resorts property (not valid at any other IHG® hotel brands). The Certificate is valid for one complimentary room night on the second night of a paid Ambassador "Weekend rate" booking and may only be booked online (www.intercontinental.com/AMBWeekend) or by contacting the Ambassador Service Center at [email protected]. The Certificate is not valid on any other rates or for suite bookings. Advance reservations required. Rooms on the Ambassador "Weekend rate" are subject to availability. The original Certificate must also be presented at time of check-in to the hotel or the hotel may decline the booking. One Certificate may be used per stay. Certificates are valid only for the member who has InterContinental Ambassador status, and are not transferable. Sale or barter of the Certificate will render it void. The Certificate is valid for room and tax only. Reward Nights do not apply in conjunction with the Certificate. Certificate cannot be used in conjunction with any other promotion or free night offer.

3. Please note that the reservation will show full rate on both nights during the online booking process. This will be adjusted by the hotel on check-in to reflect as complimentary on the second night only when member presents the original Certificate. "Weekend" is determined as follows: Friday, Saturday and Sunday, except in the Middle East where hotels may define the weekend as Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

chistery Dec 4, 2017 3:58 am

I renewed on Oct 23rd and the certificate came today. They've changed the packaging, no more luggage tags, but did come with a credit card holder.

How many points should I get if I renewed for $200? I thought it was 15k? Only got a voucher for 10k.

NavSTL Dec 5, 2017 4:12 am

Originally Posted by chistery (Post 29131920)
I renewed on Oct 23rd and the certificate came today. They've changed the packaging, no more luggage tags, but did come with a credit card holder.

How many points should I get if I renewed for $200? I thought it was 15k? Only got a voucher for 10k.

I believe it's 10k (that's what I got) but you get a pretty substantial rebate on points redemptions at the higher renewal rate, which stacks with the rebate from the Chase IHG Rewards card if you have it.

chistery Dec 5, 2017 8:48 am

Originally Posted by NavSTL (Post 29135991)
I believe it's 10k (that's what I got) but you get a pretty substantial rebate on points redemptions at the higher renewal rate, which stacks with the rebate from the Chase IHG Rewards card if you have it.

I googled a bit and 15k kept coming up. I phoned up and they said it was 15k, so they added my 10k voucher, and then added 5k more.

Maybe if someone is near renewal they can post a screenshot to confirm? This is from Dec 2016 and says 15k.

Cielito_ Dec 5, 2017 6:10 pm

renewed on 30-Nov for 200USD, 10% points cash back and 15,000 extra points.

chistery Dec 6, 2017 12:34 am

Originally Posted by Cielito_ (Post 29139067)
renewed on 30-Nov for 200USD, 10% points cash back and 15,000 extra points.

Thanks. I'm guessing you've not received the pack yet though, be interesting to see if they send you the right voucher.

Spitcool Dec 6, 2017 3:03 am

that's interesting, because when i click "renew" it just loops me back through 2-3 pages right to the landing page i initially clicked "renew" on. maybe they don't want me to? :)

NavSTL Dec 7, 2017 2:45 am

Originally Posted by Spitcool (Post 29140220)
that's interesting, because when i click "renew" it just loops me back through 2-3 pages right to the landing page i initially clicked "renew" on. maybe they don't want me to? :)

I've gotten this before and get it now. It only went through to the real renewal page when I was in the last month of the membership year.

Cielito_ Dec 7, 2017 3:42 am

Originally Posted by chistery (Post 29139941)
Thanks. I'm guessing you've not received the pack yet though, be interesting to see if they send you the right voucher.

No, I assume they well send the kit within 2 months.

Originally Posted by Spitcool (Post 29140220)

​​​
Renewal page will be enabled a few weeks before expiring.

steve1975l Dec 10, 2017 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by chistery (Post 29136772)
I googled a bit and 15k kept coming up. I phoned up and they said it was 15k, so they added my 10k voucher, and then added 5k more.

Maybe if someone is near renewal they can post a screenshot to confirm? This is from Dec 2016 and says 15k.

Sounds like you got the wrong pack. The cheaper 150 USD renewal option is 10k but the other 200 USD with 10% is 15k.

MikeFromTokyo Jun 27, 2018 10:42 am

I recall receiving an email to renew Ambassador status for 24,000 points. But now it looks like it has gone up to 40,000?

Does anyone have recent experience with renewing with points? What are your thoughts on valuation? I think at 40k I would probably be better off renewing for $150. However, at 24k the point option might be the better deal.

thunderlounge Jun 27, 2018 11:26 am

I would pay the $150.

If you were to buy 40k points (without any promotion or card benefit) it’s $400 for 40k points.

Earning 40k points would be equivalent to at least $1330 in spend at IHG properties, and that is if you’re a spire and have the card. (Or something close to that.)

sbiddle Jun 27, 2018 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo (Post 29912450)
I recall receiving an email to renew Ambassador status for 24,000 points. But now it looks like it has gone up to 40,000?

Does anyone have recent experience with renewing with points? What are your thoughts on valuation? I think at 40k I would probably be better off renewing for $150. However, at 24k the point option might be the better deal.

The price went up in January so presumably you got the email back then and didn't bother renewing then?

Mine expired in January and I got the email in early January advising of the 24,000 points to renew. A week or so after the price changed and the required number of points went to 40,000. There are a number of threads on here where people (including myself) discussed this. I simply sent them an email and they renewed mine for 24,000 points.

I certainly wouldn't expect them to do that 5 months later though..

MikeFromTokyo Jun 27, 2018 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle (Post 29913204)
The price went up in January so presumably you got the email back then and didn't bother renewing then?

Mine expired in January and I got the email in early January advising of the 24,000 points to renew. A week or so after the price changed and the required number of points went to 40,000. There are a number of threads on here where people (including myself) discussed this. I simply sent them an email and they renewed mine for 24,000 points.

I certainly wouldn't expect them to do that 5 months later though..

I must have conflated the email I got and no longer have with what I had read somewhere online.

Anyway, just renewed my Ambassador status for $150. I just got amazing treatment as an Ambassador member, and the 40k points can be valued at well over $200 in my opinion. Renewal was a no-brainer.