FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Intercontinental Ljubljana

Address
Intercontinental Ljubljana
Slovenska cesta 59,
1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia

Link to hotel:
https://www.ihg.com/intercontinental/hotels/gb/en/ljubljana/ljuha/hoteldetail?cm_mmc=GoogleMaps-_-IC-_-SI-_-LJUHA

Experiences / Reviews
Royal Ambassador Experiences
October 2017
November 2017

Pre-Opening discussion about this hotel:
Pre-Opening discussion[/u]
Print Wikipost

IC Ljubljana Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2018, 12:45 pm

Programs: QR Plat, HH Diamond
Slovenia is still a relatively poor place and these Soviet hangovers will still take years to recover from, hotels charge for early check-in in this part of the world and of course have little knowledge or appreciation for loyalty programs

few local people will be hanging at the hotel unless they are "working girls"

no question that the owners, managers and staff could use a visit to the IC HK or Park Lane to understand international guests high expectations

I do not believe the hotel is worth USD 200+ a night for a normal room but RA treatment was quite decent and I think the hotel will likely improve

Last edited by #1son; Jul 21, 2018 at 5:22 am
Old Jul 20, 2018, 1:15 pm

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Originally Posted by #1son
Slovenia is still a rather poor place and these Soviet hangovers will still take years to recover from, hotels charge for early check-in in this part of the world and of course have little knowledge or appreciation for loyalty programs

no question that the owners, managers and staff could use a visit to the IC HK or Park Lane to understand international guests high expectations

I do not believe the hotel is worth USD 200+ a night for a normal room but RA treatment was quite decent and I think the hotel will likely improve
Sheesh, are you serious?
Old Jul 20, 2018, 1:16 pm

Programs: AS,UA
Slovenia is still a rather poor place and these Soviet hangovers will still take years to recover from, hotels charge for early check-in in this part of the world and of course have little knowledge or appreciation for loyalty programs
Slovenia ranks 59 in GDP per capita, its just below Italy and Spain and ranks ahead of places like Poland, Hungary, and Portugal, would all those places be considered poor countries? It also ranks high in Quality of Life. We are spending a week in Slovenia first week of August and will be staying that this hotel our first night and really looking forward to our trip. Don't be surprised if Slovenia experiences are big tourist boom in the next decade.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 10:12 pm

EUR 1600 a month is average in Slovenia, please tell me how you will be at 5 star hotels partying on those wages?

meanwhile gasoline is EUR 1.70 a litre

new hotels are definitely being planned now, I was there for a meeting about a future Four Seasons
Old Jul 20, 2018, 10:51 pm

Programs: UA/AA
Frankly, I'm shocked by the comments on this thread. I just spent five days at the IC Ljubjana, and found it to be an excellent hotel

The hotel was packed with Japanese, Italian and German visitors.

My status is only that of a lowly Spire, and I was upgraded to a Suite, and my party was provided with a full complimentary breakfast. The room was very comfortable. It was cleaned daily. Housekeeping came by every evening to see if there was anything they could do for us. Drapes were provided to block out evening light. The hotel spa was excellent, including a wet and dry sauna, whirlpool, and lounges. There's an indoor pool large enough for swimming laps..

Location was excellent. Just a short walk to the old town riverfront or the castle.

I realize there's a big segment of Flyertalkers who demand to be treated like royalty, and whine incessantly about anything that falls below their demanding standards....but these folks just need to keep out of Central and Eastern Europe, because they'll never be satisfied.

This is a very solid hotel.
Dp69 likes this.

Last edited by jaymar01; Jul 20, 2018 at 11:00 pm
Old Jul 21, 2018, 4:15 am

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Originally Posted by jaymar01
Frankly, I'm shocked by the comments on this thread. I just spent five days at the IC Ljubjana, and found it to be an excellent hotel

The hotel was packed with Japanese, Italian and German visitors.

My status is only that of a lowly Spire, and I was upgraded to a Suite, and my party was provided with a full complimentary breakfast. The room was very comfortable. It was cleaned daily. Housekeeping came by every evening to see if there was anything they could do for us. Drapes were provided to block out evening light. The hotel spa was excellent, including a wet and dry sauna, whirlpool, and lounges. There's an indoor pool large enough for swimming laps..

Location was excellent. Just a short walk to the old town riverfront or the castle.

I realize there's a big segment of Flyertalkers who demand to be treated like royalty, and whine incessantly about anything that falls below their demanding standards....but these folks just need to keep out of Central and Eastern Europe, because they'll never be satisfied.

This is a very solid hotel.
Agreed, absolutely a very solid hotel and how a new IC should be.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 8:35 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Slovenia is still a relatively poor place and these Soviet hangovers will still take years to recover from, hotels charge for early check-in in this part of the world and of course have little knowledge or appreciation for loyalty programs

Soviet?

1) Yugoslavia was not part of the USSR or Warsaw Pact. It was not even part of COMECON, having only observer status. It was one of the five founder members of the Non-Aligned Treaty Nations.

2) Slovenia, unlike other Balkan countries, was historically in the orbit of the Austro-Hungarian empire, and so had a different character to countries like Serbia and other former Yugo countries. In that sense it is not really 'Balkan' in the way that its neighbours are.

3) During the Yugoslavian break-up it was the one which separated first and most easily (the 'ten days war'). Milosevic cared so little about it that he made no attempt at a full scale invasion - because (Unlike Croatia and Bosnia) there were so few Serbs living there.

4) Of all the EU8 former communist countries that joined in 2004, it has the highest standard of living and one which is comparable to Western countries.

5) It is the ONLY country from former Yugoslavia that is in (A) the Eurozone; (B) the Schengen Zone. No other former Yugoslav country is in either of these.

Honestly, when I hear people saying 'Soviet' about places like Slovenia it just tells me they have no idea what they're talking about.
Dp69 likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 8:48 am

EUR 1600 a month is average in Slovenia, please tell me how you will be at 5 star hotels partying on those wages?

meanwhile gasoline is EUR 1.70 a litre

new hotels are definitely being planned now, I was there for a meeting about a future Four Seasons
So how come they have five star hotels in Portugal or Greece? Both of those countries are poorer than Slovenia. Average monthly income in those countries is around €1100.

GDP per capita figures for 2017 (USD)
Slovenia 23,654 (#38 in the world)
Portugal 21,161
Greece 18,637
Old Jul 21, 2018, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Ok, I'm going to settle this once and for all as the tiebreaker when I'm there shortly 😁

Already booked a club room so looking forward to what upgrade I receive.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 10:56 am

I lived in Eastern Europe for 7 years, so no need to give me a geography or history lesson about the region (but thanks anyway ;-) and I gave the IC Ljubljana a good review

in the former Yugoslavia, the people did develop a sort of Soviet mentality about business + added bureaucracy (posters were looking for an explanation of why the Club Lounge was not better)

I visited the local government offices about opening a local LLC (d.o.o.) and the whole process was quite Eastern European, Soviet, provincial or Comecon style (pick one)
Old Jul 21, 2018, 11:37 am

I lived in Eastern Europe for 7 years, so no need to give me a geography or history lesson about the region (but thanks anyway ;-) and I gave the IC Ljubljana a good review

in the former Yugoslavia, the people did develop a sort of Soviet mentality about business + added bureaucracy (posters were looking for an explanation of why the Club Lounge was not better)

I visited the local government offices about opening a local LLC (d.o.o.) and the whole process was quite Eastern European, Soviet, provincial or Comecon style (pick one)
If you're talking about business formation and related bureaucracy then all bets are off, as each country is so different. For instance, Macedonia and Estonia can be far more business friendly than most Western Europe countries and certain 'Old Europe' countries (e.g. France, Belgium) may appear 'Soviet' in comparison to EU8 countries when it comes to corporate/tax bureaucracy.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 12:21 pm

Owners of IC Ljubljana are Serbian for what it's worth.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 9:18 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Ok, people! This off-topic banter needs to stop! Please post hotel reviews, but omit the political musings!

--jpdx, IHG Co-Moderator
Old Jul 22, 2018, 12:07 am

Programs: AA explat,Adm Club,Priority Club, and all nonsense in my comic book mind.
THANK YOU
Old Jul 27, 2018, 4:05 am
Original Poster

When did your ambassador upgrades clear? App is showing no upgrade and all higher categories are now sold out... of course there was plenty of availability for months up until now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.