Search

IHG gold and United miles?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2017, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
IHG gold and United miles?

I just got this offer in my email.

Choose one of IHG's hotels and earn bonus miles for your stay.

For a limited time, earn IHG® Rewards Club Gold Elite status after just 2 stays and up to 5,000 United MileagePlus® bonus award miles when you stay at any IHG® hotel — such as a Holiday Inn Express® or InterContinental® Hotels & Resorts.

Whether it’s a business trip, a family celebration or a once-in-a-lifetime experience, IHG® has more than 5,200 hotels globally for you to choose from to fit your needs. Plus, make your travel even more rewarding with exceptional benefits and rewards with your IHG® Rewards Club Gold Elite status.

Stay twice and earn IHG Gold + 1000 miles

Stay 2 more times and watch 2,000 more bonus miles

Stay 2 more times (6 total) and earn 2,000 bonus miles

Only IHG® Rewards Club members who have chosen United Airlines miles as their earning preference prior to promotion registration may earn Gold Elite status or United MileagePlus® bonus miles in the promotion. 1,000 bonus miles and Gold Elite status will be awarded to Club members and Gold members after member stays two (2) qualifying stays by December 31, 2017.

Last edited by RedElmo; Oct 23, 2017 at 11:00 pm
Old Oct 24, 2017, 8:10 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
I got this one too, so if it's targeted, it's targeted very loosely.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can get IHG Platinum just by getting and holding a Chase IHG credit card (that, after being free the first year, gives you a free hotel night each year in exchange for a $49 annual fee).

So I don't understand the appeal of using a promo like this to get IHG Gold for one year if you're based in the USA (where this credit card is available), when it's so easy to get iHG Platinum "forever" (assuming you have need of one hotel night a year of $49 value or more).

Plus that card also gives you 10% back on all your IHG hotel redemptions with points!
Old Oct 24, 2017, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador, AA Platinum, Avis Pres Club, Hertz Pres Circle
[QUOTE=sdsearch;28970937]You can get IHG Platinum just by getting and holding a Chase IHG credit card (that, after being free the first year, gives you a free hotel night each year in exchange for a $49 annual fee).

So I don't understand the appeal of using a promo like this to get IHG Gold for one year if you're based in the USA (where this credit card is available), when it's so easy to get iHG Platinum "forever" (assuming you have need of one hotel night a year of $49 value or more).

Signing up for that card also comes with 80k points. I thought the Spire hurdle was 75k points...
Old Oct 24, 2017, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jimdarcy
Signing up for that card also comes with 80k points. I thought the Spire hurdle was 75k points...
Signing up for that card only comes with 80k redeemable points. The Spire hurdle is 75k elite-qualifying points. Those are two completely different kind of points. (Well, there's one-way overlap: All elite-qualifying points double as redeemable points, but many redeemable points are not elite-qualifying.)

The card gives you IHG Platinum status (all the years you hold the card) independent of any points. It's simply a benefit of the card.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 2:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador, AA Platinum, Avis Pres Club, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Signing up for that card only comes with 80k redeemable points. The Spire hurdle is 75k elite-qualifying points. Those are two completely different kind of points. (Well, there's one-way overlap: All elite-qualifying points double as redeemable points, but many redeemable points are not elite-qualifying.)

The card gives you IHG Platinum status (all the years you hold the card) independent of any points. It's simply a benefit of the card.

thanks for the explanation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.