Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Intercontinental Hong Kong corporate id check

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2017, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, AA Exec Plat, Delta Platinum, Virgin Atlantic Gold, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Intercontinental Hong Kong corporate id check

How strict is the Intercontinental Hong Kong on checking corporate id's at check in?
Old Oct 22, 2017, 8:00 am

Bear in mind that the Chinese market is the most creative regarding corporate rates.

Take the geographical location of HK into acccount.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 9:07 am

If one has already made the decision to pose as employee of a company, is it really that challenging to invest $10 or so for printable business cards, find an online image of the company's logo, and create one's own ID?
Old Oct 22, 2017, 9:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Plus, do front desk agents have a picture book of all authentic IDs for every valid corporate rate? I don't think the typical hotel employee would know a real ID (no pun intended) from fake credentials.

The bottom line is that the hotel might be penalizing a few employees who are allowed to use the corporate rate for leisure travel and don't bring their IDs while allowing business as usual for the premeditated cheaters who do this often enough to have created their fake credentials in advance.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 10:16 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Plus, do front desk agents have a picture book of all authentic IDs for every valid corporate rate? I don't think the typical hotel employee would know a real ID (no pun intended) from fake credentials.

The bottom line is that the hotel might be penalizing a few employees who are allowed to use the corporate rate for leisure travel and don't bring their IDs while allowing business as usual for the premeditated cheaters who do this often enough to have created their fake credentials in advance.
Hotels that want IDs due to a very good corp low fixed rate, rather than more usual Corp-gold-15% discount will want to see a propper id card, often with expected embedded chip (not some made up persomal business card), or a letter on corporate stationary for contractors.

Not even that simple for multinationals, my Benelux Countries corp id pass is totally different from my UK corp id pass, though. And I then use in eg Asia where in Bangkok, Hongkong, Malaysia where corp ids are yet again different.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 10:24 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by marcwint55
How strict is the Intercontinental Hong Kong on checking corporate id's at check in?
Depends on discount to some extent, standard IHG corp gold discount rate of 15% discount of flex , making the nightly rate similar to BAR (but flexible) is less likely to be checked at checkin.

My first stay here on a good corp rate here I was asked to show my Corp Id Pass.

If you start pluging in all the corp 3char codes to find the 3-lowest corp rates at a hotel and then use those, then you are much more likely to be asked for proof of entitlement.
Once you stay at an individual IHG hotel on xxx corp rate, you are much less likely (almost non existant) to be asked again at that hotel.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 2:40 pm

Programs: IC - RA, AC - SE 1MM
Funny Examples

Hi,

I will share with you some real examples. I stay on a GE or Lenova rate. On time at the HK Grand Stranford I stay with a number of clients on the rate. We needed a boardroom for a meeting. They gave us the rate on our hotel room, no problem as always. I have used the Lenova or GE rate for ten years only been asked about it once or twice. So we were ready for our meeting and they put up a sign in lobby saying that the "GE Meeting" was in such and such room. I went to the front desk and asked them to change it to "Our Company" name and they did. It made me laugh so hard. The one time the rate in ten years was challenged was at the IC Shenzhen. They said unless I had a letter or ID I could not use the rate. I said can I go to the business room and does it have a printer? They let me in and I made a letter with the GE logo saying I could stay at the rate. They said thank you and accepted it. LOL
wideman and Alawyer like this.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 5:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by IC Expert
Hi,

I will share with you some real examples. I stay on a GE or Lenova rate. On time at the HK Grand Stranford I stay with a number of clients on the rate. We needed a boardroom for a meeting. They gave us the rate on our hotel room, no problem as always. I have used the Lenova or GE rate for ten years only been asked about it once or twice. So we were ready for our meeting and they put up a sign in lobby saying that the "GE Meeting" was in such and such room. I went to the front desk and asked them to change it to "Our Company" name and they did. It made me laugh so hard. The one time the rate in ten years was challenged was at the IC Shenzhen. They said unless I had a letter or ID I could not use the rate. I said can I go to the business room and does it have a printer? They let me in and I made a letter with the GE logo saying I could stay at the rate. They said thank you and accepted it. LOL
This is pathetic.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 7:54 pm

Programs: Clubcarlson Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire AMB etc.
I was asked for proof of ID at the CP BK due to quote "Chinese" taking advantage of the rate..
Old Oct 23, 2017, 4:46 am

Programs: NZ
I am sure this has been said many times before, but ...

The use of a Corporate Code which you are not entitled to use means you are committing fraud. The hotel has the right to charge the full rack rate or subject you to an even worse fate.

Just because people do it and get away with it does not make it OK.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by callmedtop
This is pathetic.
If George Costanza were on Flyertalk...
Old Oct 23, 2017, 8:29 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

I would like to remind everybody, that using a corporate code one is not entitled to use might lead to problems and you risk an audit of your account.

I also consider a few of the post in this thread to be borderline or even accross the border (i.e. fraudulent). But of course, this might be seen different depending on the point of view, in so far this thread will remain open despite a few reports.

In so far, the offical advice is to stick with the rates you are entitled to use or have at least a backup reservation. And do not blame Flyertalk but yourself, if your account was locked after (multiple) bookings with corporate rates you are not entitled to use.

FLYGVA
moderator IHG Forum
Old Oct 23, 2017, 9:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by IC Expert
Hi,

I don't know when you had these incidents occurred. But in past two years, IHG has been very careful in checking on people using IBM and GE corporate rate. Not only corporate ID is required, also an email from IBM or GE to confirm staff identity in extreme cases.

If you are not entitled to the global corporate rate, do not use it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.