Experiences
Royal Ambassador
October 2017
Print Wikipost

InterContinental Washington DC - The Wharf

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2017, 9:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum (3 Million Miler), IHG Spire Royal Amdassador
InterContinental Washington DC - The Wharf

I just checked into the brand new InterContinental Washington DC - The Wharf tonight! It is a beautiful hotel, very modern, right on the Potomac.
The hotel left me a voice mail over the weekend about my check-in time tonight, which I thought was a little unusual. When I arrived tonight, I was greeted by several employees including the General Manager and other members of the management team. They informed me that I was the first official guest to check in! They've been open for a few days, but the guests have been various employees, etc. They even had a bottle of Chandon on hand to toast the occasion.
I'm here for the next three nights and will definitely post on the Royal Ambassador Experiences thread after I check out.
But so far so good!
​​​​​​
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 9:47 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Originally Posted by VaBeachGirl
I just checked into the brand new InterContinental Washington DC - The Wharf tonight! It is a beautiful hotel, very modern, right on the Potomac.
The hotel left me a voice mail over the weekend about my check-in time tonight, which I thought was a little unusual. When I arrived tonight, I was greeted by several employees including the General Manager and other members of the management team. They informed me that I was the first official guest to check in! They've been open for a few days, but the guests have been various employees, etc. They even had a bottle of Chandon on hand to toast the occasion.
I'm here for the next three nights and will definitely post on the Royal Ambassador Experiences thread after I check out.
But so far so good!
​​​​​​
Spire Amb here booked into an executive suite - can’t wait!
Old Oct 16, 2017, 9:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum (3 Million Miler), IHG Spire Royal Amdassador
Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008
Spire Amb here booked into an executive suite - can’t wait!
I was upgraded to an Executive Riverview Suite, it's great to actually have a room with a balcony in DC!
Old Oct 17, 2017, 10:13 am
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
I've reserved this hotel on points, it seems a great value redemption at 35,000 points per night. My only concern is that it seems fairly isolated as I'm not hiring a car for my visit I'll be relying on walking and subways, so is there anything walkable in the local area, food, bars, subway? Thanks to anyone that can help...
Old Oct 17, 2017, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BrightlyBob
I've reserved this hotel on points, it seems a great value redemption at 35,000 points per night. My only concern is that it seems fairly isolated as I'm not hiring a car for my visit I'll be relying on walking and subways, so is there anything walkable in the local area, food, bars, subway? Thanks to anyone that can help...
There is a lot nearby since The Wharf opened up last week! At least 6 or 7 restaurants and bars right outside the hotel are open on the waterfront now, plus a few walk up places (one is a lobster roll stand!). There is also a live music venue (The Anthem) nearby which seems to already draw large crowds.
As for the Metro, the Waterfront stop (Green Line) is about a 6 minute walk from the hotel and L'Enfant Plaza (multiple lines) is about a 10 minute walk. The Waterfront stop has several other bars and restaurants nearby plus a pretty big Safeway Grocery Store. I flew into DCA around 930pm so took an Uber, which was only $11.
The views from his hotel are just amazing and it's been fun watching the activity around The Wharf.
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 6:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, IHG Diamond AMB, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
I tried getting a reservation this week but evidently they only have a limited number of rooms available, because all floors are not yet operational.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 10:14 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA, DL, IHG Diamond Amb, Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, National
Originally Posted by VaBeachGirl
There is a lot nearby since The Wharf opened up last week! At least 6 or 7 restaurants and bars right outside the hotel are open on the waterfront now, plus a few walk up places (one is a lobster roll stand!). There is also a live music venue (The Anthem) nearby which seems to already draw large crowds.
As for the Metro, the Waterfront stop (Green Line) is about a 6 minute walk from the hotel and L'Enfant Plaza (multiple lines) is about a 10 minute walk. The Waterfront stop has several other bars and restaurants nearby plus a pretty big Safeway Grocery Store. I flew into DCA around 930pm so took an Uber, which was only $11.
The views from his hotel are just amazing and it's been fun watching the activity around The Wharf.
You're also just a 7 minute walk from one of DC's great theatrical venues, Arena Stage. Currently offering Arthur Miller's "The Price" starring Hal Linden, thru November 12.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 10:26 pm

Programs: AGR WOH
Originally Posted by BrightlyBob
so is there anything walkable in the local area, food, bars, subway? Thanks to anyone that can help...
Capsule reviews of several restaurants within one block:
https://www.washingtonian.com/2017/0...sw-waterfront/
Let us know what you think of the Brighton and Kirwan's

There's also a free all-day shuttle bus to the L'Enfant Plaza Metro and the Smithsonian Castle; it stops at Sutton Square and Maine Avenue (pretty much right behind the IC). Check arrival times here:
https://www.wharfdc.com/getting-here/southwest-shuttle/
BrightlyBob and VaBeachGirl like this.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Do all these dining venues and the Anthem entertainment center nearby make the stay particularly noisy?
Old Oct 24, 2017, 10:47 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Do you have any photos? I am debating on staying here or the Willard. The point redemption is very attractive though.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 12:10 pm

I'll be here for 3 nights in Feb. Like others said, the redemption rate is great right now. Was looking at a few other properties, but having the free shuttle that makes the loop every 10 - 15 minutes to l'enfant made a big difference. We can take the metro in/out from IAD and get around easily from this spot. Otherwise it might seem a bit isolated without a car ( or expensive to keep taking taxis ) to get around...especially in February.

Looking forward to it. Too bad there's no good shows at The Anthem while we're there.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 6:00 pm

Programs: Alaska LTG, HHonors-Gld, IHG-Dia, LT MR Ti
Originally Posted by vh_bu98
Do you have any photos? I am debating on staying here or the Willard. The point redemption is very attractive though.
Stayed at both. Lots to do within walking distance of Willard. Wharf, not nearly as much. Overall the Wharf (as a whole) is going through teething pains in my opinion. It's very crowded, not enough restaurants, and not much else to do within walking distance. I'm sure someday it'll be there.

The IC Wharf's rooms were outstanding. The service at the hotel restaurant was miserable, every time we ate there, we were only hoping it would get better. It's expensive, and service SUCKS!
Old Dec 1, 2017, 8:07 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Thankyou everyone for your responses. I’m a very happy walker so I reckon this redemptions a keeper...
Old Dec 1, 2017, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vh_bu98
Old Dec 1, 2017, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

Another photo

Ijgordon

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.