FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   InterContinental Washington DC - The Wharf (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/1872397-intercontinental-washington-dc-wharf.html)

VaBeachGirl Oct 16, 2017 9:38 pm

InterContinental Washington DC - The Wharf

I just checked into the brand new InterContinental Washington DC - The Wharf tonight! It is a beautiful hotel, very modern, right on the Potomac.
The hotel left me a voice mail over the weekend about my check-in time tonight, which I thought was a little unusual. When I arrived tonight, I was greeted by several employees including the General Manager and other members of the management team. They informed me that I was the first official guest to check in! They've been open for a few days, but the guests have been various employees, etc. They even had a bottle of Chandon on hand to toast the occasion.
I'm here for the next three nights and will definitely post on the Royal Ambassador Experiences thread after I check out.
But so far so good!
​​​​​​

Mauibaby2008 Oct 16, 2017 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by VaBeachGirl (Post 28941080)
I just checked into the brand new InterContinental Washington DC - The Wharf tonight! It is a beautiful hotel, very modern, right on the Potomac.
The hotel left me a voice mail over the weekend about my check-in time tonight, which I thought was a little unusual. When I arrived tonight, I was greeted by several employees including the General Manager and other members of the management team. They informed me that I was the first official guest to check in! They've been open for a few days, but the guests have been various employees, etc. They even had a bottle of Chandon on hand to toast the occasion.
I'm here for the next three nights and will definitely post on the Royal Ambassador Experiences thread after I check out.
But so far so good!
​​​​​​

Spire Amb here booked into an executive suite - can’t wait!

VaBeachGirl Oct 16, 2017 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008 (Post 28941106)
Spire Amb here booked into an executive suite - can’t wait!

I was upgraded to an Executive Riverview Suite, it's great to actually have a room with a balcony in DC!

BrightlyBob Oct 17, 2017 10:13 am

I've reserved this hotel on points, it seems a great value redemption at 35,000 points per night. My only concern is that it seems fairly isolated as I'm not hiring a car for my visit I'll be relying on walking and subways, so is there anything walkable in the local area, food, bars, subway? Thanks to anyone that can help...

VaBeachGirl Oct 17, 2017 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by BrightlyBob (Post 28943028)
I've reserved this hotel on points, it seems a great value redemption at 35,000 points per night. My only concern is that it seems fairly isolated as I'm not hiring a car for my visit I'll be relying on walking and subways, so is there anything walkable in the local area, food, bars, subway? Thanks to anyone that can help...

There is a lot nearby since The Wharf opened up last week! At least 6 or 7 restaurants and bars right outside the hotel are open on the waterfront now, plus a few walk up places (one is a lobster roll stand!). There is also a live music venue (The Anthem) nearby which seems to already draw large crowds.
As for the Metro, the Waterfront stop (Green Line) is about a 6 minute walk from the hotel and L'Enfant Plaza (multiple lines) is about a 10 minute walk. The Waterfront stop has several other bars and restaurants nearby plus a pretty big Safeway Grocery Store. I flew into DCA around 930pm so took an Uber, which was only $11.
The views from his hotel are just amazing and it's been fun watching the activity around The Wharf.

TravelTheWorld66 Oct 17, 2017 6:29 pm

I tried getting a reservation this week but evidently they only have a limited number of rooms available, because all floors are not yet operational.

bob12403 Oct 17, 2017 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by VaBeachGirl (Post 28944936)
There is a lot nearby since The Wharf opened up last week! At least 6 or 7 restaurants and bars right outside the hotel are open on the waterfront now, plus a few walk up places (one is a lobster roll stand!). There is also a live music venue (The Anthem) nearby which seems to already draw large crowds.
As for the Metro, the Waterfront stop (Green Line) is about a 6 minute walk from the hotel and L'Enfant Plaza (multiple lines) is about a 10 minute walk. The Waterfront stop has several other bars and restaurants nearby plus a pretty big Safeway Grocery Store. I flew into DCA around 930pm so took an Uber, which was only $11.
The views from his hotel are just amazing and it's been fun watching the activity around The Wharf.

You're also just a 7 minute walk from one of DC's great theatrical venues, Arena Stage. Currently offering Arthur Miller's "The Price" starring Hal Linden, thru November 12.

paytonc Oct 23, 2017 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by BrightlyBob (Post 28943028)
so is there anything walkable in the local area, food, bars, subway? Thanks to anyone that can help...

Capsule reviews of several restaurants within one block:
https://www.washingtonian.com/2017/0...sw-waterfront/
Let us know what you think of the Brighton and Kirwan's ;)

There's also a free all-day shuttle bus to the L'Enfant Plaza Metro and the Smithsonian Castle; it stops at Sutton Square and Maine Avenue (pretty much right behind the IC). Check arrival times here:
https://www.wharfdc.com/getting-here/southwest-shuttle/

Points Scrounger Oct 24, 2017 10:06 am

Do all these dining venues and the Anthem entertainment center nearby make the stay particularly noisy?

vh_bu98 Oct 24, 2017 10:47 am

Do you have any photos? I am debating on staying here or the Willard. The point redemption is very attractive though.

maxp0wers Dec 1, 2017 12:10 pm

I'll be here for 3 nights in Feb. Like others said, the redemption rate is great right now. Was looking at a few other properties, but having the free shuttle that makes the loop every 10 - 15 minutes to l'enfant made a big difference. We can take the metro in/out from IAD and get around easily from this spot. Otherwise it might seem a bit isolated without a car ( or expensive to keep taking taxis ) to get around...especially in February.

Looking forward to it. Too bad there's no good shows at The Anthem while we're there.

BarryL Dec 1, 2017 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by vh_bu98 (Post 28970837)
Do you have any photos? I am debating on staying here or the Willard. The point redemption is very attractive though.

Stayed at both. Lots to do within walking distance of Willard. Wharf, not nearly as much. Overall the Wharf (as a whole) is going through teething pains in my opinion. It's very crowded, not enough restaurants, and not much else to do within walking distance. I'm sure someday it'll be there.

The IC Wharf's rooms were outstanding. The service at the hotel restaurant was miserable, every time we ate there, we were only hoping it would get better. It's expensive, and service SUCKS!

BrightlyBob Dec 1, 2017 8:07 pm

Thankyou everyone for your responses. I’m a very happy walker so I reckon this redemptions a keeper...

VaBeachGirl Dec 1, 2017 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by vh_bu98 (Post 28970837)

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...7b32bbf3f7.jpg

VaBeachGirl Dec 1, 2017 8:41 pm

Another photo

Ijgordonhttps://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...7a8e96f624.jpg