Experiences
Royal Ambassador
October 2017
Print Wikipost

InterContinental Washington DC - The Wharf

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2017, 2:36 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Thanks for the input. I booked 2 paid nights at the Wharf and 2 paid nights at the Willard so a back to back stay will give me a good idea.

Any idea on what the upgrade room should be from the normal Deluxe King in either hotel?
Old Dec 4, 2017, 3:29 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by vh_bu98
Thanks for the input. I booked 2 paid nights at the Wharf and 2 paid nights at the Willard so a back to back stay will give me a good idea.

Any idea on what the upgrade room should be from the normal Deluxe King in either hotel?
I did exactly this last week, and much preferred the Willard, mainly just for the location but also the service.

King Deluxe upgrades to the King Premier Riverview, has a nice view out over the Wharf.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 5:01 pm

The price has dropped significantly and the point redemption has gone up to 60k. It's definitely not worth using points anymore for my stay.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 6:19 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat, Alaska 75k, IHG Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Now showing 60K points a night...Doh!

Edit: do they have a club here? If so, what is the quality and access like? TIA
Old Jan 6, 2018, 1:41 am

Programs: Alaska LTG, HHonors-Gld, IHG-Dia, LT MR Ti
Originally Posted by DaveH
Now showing 60K points a night...Doh!
Edit: do they have a club here? If so, what is the quality and access like? TIA
Sorry to report no lounge here. Same thing as Willard.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 5:01 pm

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
Oh my. I booked three point nights in June for 35,000 points per night as an alternative to a stay at the Willard. The current rate is 60,000 points per night. Curious if the original rate was an error. The booking remains but will most likely be cancelled.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 5:08 pm

I don't think it was an error. I think it was a new hotel and they were trying to get people in the doors.

Once reservations/popularity hit a certain point, things increased most likely to what they are hoping are stable rates/redemptions.

Many of us reserved point stays at 35k/night, including myself. My stay is in 15 days. No notice from the hotel about not honoring the rate and reservation still shows on the app.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 10:01 am

Quick update since I'm here now and booked at the 35k points/night.

the booking was honored without question. The front desk didn't even bring up the rate difference.

was also upgraded as an ambassador even though not guaranteed on reward nights. so overall, the 35k rate was honored and wasn't treated any differently.

the hotel is really nice. Unfortunately it's pouring rain, but really like the area. The free shuttle bus makes getting to the national mall area easy too, so no complaints about being a couple miles outside downtown.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
Just back from a night here. I had booked two nights at the Canopy but then for $108 I decided to try out the IC and tick off an accelerate goal.

I was upgraded to a King Riverview room, which had a lovely view overlooking the wharf and river. There's a bit of plane noise but you can sit and watch the planes opposite at DCA if you wanted! After the snow on Saturday, Sunday was warm and sunny, and there was a lovely atmosphere around the hotel and with all the people sat outside the bars and restaurants.

I was thanked several times for my Ambassador Spire loyalty. I was handed a small bottle or water at check in. No welcome gift arrived though, but I got 600 points on departure without asking. Everyone I encountered at the hotel was cheerful and welcoming. The bar area was packed with no spare stools at 23:45 when I returned, but the bar was closing, plenty of sofas and chairs around the reception area to lounge about in too.

Lots of USB sockets in the room, no DND sign though, so housekeeping were knocking about 09:30.

Compared to the Canopy or Hyatt, this hotel has the most River facing rooms whereas the others are mostly sideways on.

Overall I was very happy and it was a shame I was only there one night. It's not that far from the National Mall, and there's a free shuttle bus running all day making it even easier to get about.

Old Feb 22, 2018, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by chistery
Just back from a night here. I had booked two nights at the Canopy but then for $108 I decided to try out the IC and tick off an accelerate goal.

I was upgraded to a King Riverview room, which had a lovely view overlooking the wharf and river. There's a bit of plane noise but you can sit and watch the planes opposite at DCA if you wanted! After the snow on Saturday, Sunday was warm and sunny, and there was a lovely atmosphere around the hotel and with all the people sat outside the bars and restaurants.

I was thanked several times for my Ambassador Spire loyalty. I was handed a small bottle or water at check in. No welcome gift arrived though, but I got 600 points on departure without asking. Everyone I encountered at the hotel was cheerful and welcoming. The bar area was packed with no spare stools at 23:45 when I returned, but the bar was closing, plenty of sofas and chairs around the reception area to lounge about in too.

Lots of USB sockets in the room, no DND sign though, so housekeeping were knocking about 09:30.

Compared to the Canopy or Hyatt, this hotel has the most River facing rooms whereas the others are mostly sideways on.

Overall I was very happy and it was a shame I was only there one night. It's not that far from the National Mall, and there's a free shuttle bus running all day making it even easier to get about.
That looks like the exact same room I stayed in during December. I wished I knew about the free shuttle bus since that could have saved me a few dollars. The welcome gift was chocolates so you are not missing out on much.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Glad you were treated well. Just one note, though: the hotel is paid the same regardless of how many points you are charged.

Originally Posted by maxp0wers
Quick update since I'm here now and booked at the 35k points/night.

the booking was honored without question. The front desk didn't even bring up the rate difference.

was also upgraded as an ambassador even though not guaranteed on reward nights. so overall, the 35k rate was honored and wasn't treated any differently.

the hotel is really nice. Unfortunately it's pouring rain, but really like the area. The free shuttle bus makes getting to the national mall area easy too, so no complaints about being a couple miles outside downtown.
Old May 2, 2018, 9:13 am
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Just returned from my 35,000 point redemption stay and felt it was great value for the points. If you like walking this is a good position for the National Mall, Smithsonian and Holocaust Museum. The area is very nice and the marina lovely. Plenty of good local dining options.

Upon checking in I was advised I’d been upgraded to a river view room which completes a trio of redemption upgrades at ICs as a mere Spire without Ambassador. Great room, seperate bath and shower, lots of sockets and USB. Fab view of the marina. I’d definitely stay again.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 10:24 am

Programs: *G at A3,TK;M&M,LM; IHG RA, AB Plat.
Does anybody know, if RAs get free BF at the IC The Warf?
Old Jul 15, 2018, 9:04 am

Programs: *G at A3,TK;M&M,LM; IHG RA, AB Plat.
Originally Posted by hannes08
Does anybody know, if RAs get free BF at the IC The Warf?
Here is the answer: No
Booked standard, got premier river view.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 1:19 pm

Programs: AGR WOH
A rooftop bar is expected to open at this hotel next spring.
https://dc.eater.com/2018/10/22/1800...mr-purple-team
The Canopy by Hilton hotel a block over already has a rooftop bar (Whiskey Charlie) that does very good business.

Reviews are improving for Kith & Kin, the hotel's restaurant.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...=.b76ffc01a537

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.