Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Weird: Confirmed rate/room type reserved changed on app and online

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2019, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

Weird: Confirmed rate/room type reserved changed on app and online

Last week I reserved a standard king room at the Hotel Indigo Rome St. George. Within a few minutes I received a confirmation email which included the room type and rate. Last evening I viewed the reservations that I had on my IHG app including the Rome reservation. The details of this reservation now listed the room type as King Superior and a different (increased rate) from what I had reserved. I have had room types upgraded before due to Spire status a few days ahead of time however this reservation is for a stay 2 months out. When I logged into my IHG account online and it too shows the King Superior room and the increased rate. This is at odds with what I reserved and what the email confirmation clearly shows. It seems that I have read in the past ( maybe on the IHG website?) that IHG only honors the rate "shown in their system". Does this happen even when people have email confirmations that show otherwise? Just wondering what can be done at this point. For what it's worth the current rate of the standard room is now just a few euros less than what the rate it shows I am being charged for the superior room and about 50 euros more than what I initially reserved- so cancelling my reservation and rebooking would not be of much benefit.. If I do nothing and show up with my original email will this be honored? Worst case is I would get the standard room at the increased price.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 11:24 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Redeemed
Last week I reserved a standard king room at the Hotel Indigo Rome St. George. Within a few minutes I received a confirmation email which included the room type and rate. Last evening I viewed the reservations that I had on my IHG app including the Rome reservation. The details of this reservation now listed the room type as King Superior and a different (increased rate) from what I had reserved. I have had room types upgraded before due to Spire status a few days ahead of time however this reservation is for a stay 2 months out. When I logged into my IHG account online and it too shows the King Superior room and the increased rate. This is at odds with what I reserved and what the email confirmation clearly shows. It seems that I have read in the past ( maybe on the IHG website?) that IHG only honors the rate "shown in their system". Does this happen even when people have email confirmations that show otherwise? Just wondering what can be done at this point. For what it's worth the current rate of the standard room is now just a few euros less than what the rate it shows I am being charged for the superior room and about 50 euros more than what I initially reserved- so cancelling my reservation and rebooking would not be of much benefit.. If I do nothing and show up with my original email will this be honored? Worst case is I would get the standard room at the increased price.
Nope, Hotel (IHG) only honour a reservation as per original booking and accompanying email confirmation. ie referring at checkin to follow up phone calls saying BUT xyz was comfirmed to me on phone post booking cuts no ice.

Though fairly rare, It is not unknown for occassional IHG hotels to consistantly pre upgrade top elite guests quite early, more than a few days out, even within 48hrs of booking even when stay is months away

It is quite common that when hotel staff process upgrade, there system (or staff) handles badly and results in the elite foc upgrade repricing to new room types rate, which is then seen if you look online.... However you will/should still be charged original booked rate at checkin. It is one reason to be aware of rate booked prior to checkin and signing for stay at a front desk, so that you check rate you sign for is as booked. If higher by accident, just politely mention to checkin agent and they will correct without any fuss.

With Italy, it could be the usual reason, Italy hotels (like in Japan) charge extra for 2ppn/room versus 1ppn/room. I don't look at this as a surcharge on second guest but as a discount on solo occupancy, also rather that all other hotels auto charge 2ppn even when a solo guest stays when they need not.... So it could be you booked 1ppn, and room upgrade went through system as 2ppn. Again if 1ppn guest in a room check that is correctly charged rate in Italy during your checkin.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 12:12 am
Original Poster

Thanks for this info. I will be sure to print a copy of the confirmation email to present to the front desk at check in. The original and the reservation that now shows both are for 2 people and show the separate extra person charge added and don’t account for the rate change which shows an increased daily rate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.