Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum Elite Questions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2017, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Platinum Elite Questions

Just hit Platinum Elite because I hit 50,000 points. I want to stay at a Holiday Inn in Australia...... I was thinking of using 25k points for first night and paying for the 2nd two nights in separate reservations because the first night is very expensive.

A few newbie questions...
1. Given that my point value just hit 50k, will using the 25k affect my status? " Answered myself: you will maintain such status through the end of the following calendar year"
2. if I use points can I still expect an upgrade or any other perk?
3. I was thinking of booking through Chase travel portal because my credit card values at 1.5, will that affect status benefits since 3rd party?
4. Free wifi is a perk, if hotel charges? Same with question 3 above?
Old Sep 18, 2017, 8:45 am

Programs: IHG Spire, BW Diamond Select, Wyndham Gold
2. There's no one answer, because status perks vary greatly by property. IME, perks are pretty much the same on paid and reward stays.

4. Everyone with IHG status should get free wifi.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
3. YMMV but you shouldn't expect status benefits from a third party booking. But checking in under a direct booking then switching over to a 3rd party booking is the best way to keep whatever you might be granted upon arrival.

That said, you shouldn't EVER expect status benefits from IHG Platinum...
Old Sep 21, 2017, 1:45 am

Programs: MileagePlus Premier Silver, IHG Spire Elite, HHonors Silver, RapidRewards
2. Per T&C, you are not entitled to upgrade perks on points stays, and still only entitled based on availability (and other factors I presume) for paid stays. That said, never expect; just be happily surprised.

IME however, I've almost always gotten upgraded on points stays.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 1:46 am

Programs: MileagePlus Premier Silver, IHG Spire Elite, HHonors Silver, RapidRewards
Also to clarify on 1:

You achieve status based on qualifying points earned per calendar year, not your running account balance. You are free to use your points at any time and they will not affect your status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.