FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   No Plat/Spire upgrade at HIEx? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/1864130-no-plat-spire-upgrade-hiex.html)

Alawyer Aug 30, 2017 3:02 am

No Plat/Spire upgrade at HIEx?

Upon check-in at a Holiday Inn Express here in HK, I was told that IHG Platinum are no longer to an upgrade at HIEx properties as almost all the rooms are standard.

They were prepared to make an exception for me because I've been staying here for the past 3 years and almost always in the suite.

Has anyone else faced this?

roydonaldson Aug 30, 2017 9:06 am

I've had this before in HIEx properties. I think there challenge is that there are no upgradable rooms, ie. they only have standard rooms. so there's nothing to upgrade you in to. They do offer higher floors etc. to try and help out.

Roy.

ninjalad Aug 30, 2017 10:17 am

The few times that I have stayed in a HIX the booking has been modified to a room with an extra sofa bed and on a high floor, I guess that they don't have bigger than this. I have a booking next month and see the same

markis10 Aug 30, 2017 5:06 pm

Novel concept, a HIX with suites.

solewalker Aug 30, 2017 6:54 pm

The problem is, most HIX don't have rooms to upgrade elites into. However, there's still a good chance that you'll get a better room, e.g. higher floor, away from elevator etc. I've always gotten a higher floor room, and I've never been in a basement room beside the elevator.

Points Scrounger Aug 30, 2017 7:18 pm

There's one that I've been to a few times where a Jacuzzi Room, even if not a suite, is an upgrade as they charge more for it.

olegator Aug 30, 2017 8:53 pm

Just a quick reminder HIEX in USA and HIEX in Europe is VERY different beast. Not sure about Asia though.

olympian Aug 30, 2017 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by solewalker (Post 28757761)
The problem is, most HIX don't have rooms to upgrade elites into. However, there's still a good chance that you'll get a better room, e.g. higher floor, away from elevator etc. I've always gotten a higher floor room, and I've never been in a basement room beside the elevator.

Agreed, that's the best that most HIX here in the UK can offer though better than nothing at all. However at Poole and Burnley HIX that do have "Superior" rooms - albeit they're just top floor rooms that have been refurbished more recently than the others and are actually charged more for - then they do tend to allocate them as proper upgrades to elite members.

darthbimmer Aug 31, 2017 1:35 am

In the US I am frequently upgraded to a "suite" as Plat/Spire at HIX hotels. This is generally a slightly-larger room with a sitting area featuring a sofa and a coffee table. That's about all I expect at a limited service property, BTW.

rbAA Aug 31, 2017 3:38 am

Originally Posted by markis10 (Post 28757446)
Novel concept, a HIX with suites.

They do exist. HIX Zhabei in Shanghai always give me a two room suite with a large living room with couch and coffee table, plus the usual desk area. Not too bad for under US$40.

Otherwise, usually most of the HIX in stay in frequently just gives me the largest room available, noted in the res online before arrival.

Points Scrounger Aug 31, 2017 8:44 am

Originally Posted by darthbimmer (Post 28758698)
In the US I am frequently upgraded to a "suite" as Plat/Spire at HIX hotels. This is generally a slightly-larger room with a sitting area featuring a sofa and a coffee table. That's about all I expect at a limited service property, BTW.

Those are "junior suites"; some HIX properties have genuine separate-bedroom suites. My last suite upgrade at an HIX, the "living room" (lounge) was a conference room with a table that seated a dozen!

beachmouse Aug 31, 2017 9:13 am

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger (Post 28759948)
Those are "junior suites"; some HIX properties have genuine separate-bedroom suites. My last suite upgrade at an HIX, the "living room" (lounge) was a conference room with a table that seated a dozen!

I'm pretty sure the Seattle Airport Holiday Inn & Suites is a conversion from something else because their upgrade is a two room suite (plus bathroom) with kitchen area, including 3/4 size fridge and dishwasher, but no pots, china, or other kitchen items provided.

Fair number of properties in North America branded as 'Holiday Inn & Suites' where room size expectations are larger.

Points Scrounger Aug 31, 2017 10:27 am

They used to have those items included. I suspect they're available on request? A year ago I realized I needed a corkscrew for my wine; the desk clerk brought one up from housekeeping.

sdsearch Aug 31, 2017 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by beachmouse (Post 28760063)
I'm pretty sure the Seattle Airport Holiday Inn & Suites is a conversion from something else because their upgrade is a two room suite (plus bathroom) with kitchen area, including 3/4 size fridge and dishwasher, but no pots, china, or other kitchen items provided.

Fair number of properties in North America branded as 'Holiday Inn & Suites' where room size expectations are larger.

Except that this thread is about Holiday Inn Express, which is a totally separate brand from all other versions of Holiday Inn, including Holiday Inn & Suites.

Holiday Inn Express (at least in the USA) has a self-service limited complimentary breakfast and no restaurant.

Holiday Inn, or Holiday Inn & Suites, has an actual restaurant (and generally no complimentary breakfast).

Points Scrounger Aug 31, 2017 12:33 pm

The property is a Holiday Inn Express; the Seattle Airport Holiday Inn became a CP a couple of years ago. You would have been better off not seizing on this one, as typo aside, it was on-thread.