Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Status matter at time of booking or at time of stay?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2017, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Status matter at time of booking or at time of stay?

I recently signed up for the IHG credit card. I'm currently gold but soon I'll be Platinum. If I book now, will the Platinum bonus still be applied if my stay is after the change or do I need to be Platinum at the time of booking?

Thanks.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 10:00 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Time of stay
Old Sep 4, 2017, 4:14 am
Marriott 10+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, IHG Gold, BAEC Silver, TP Silver
Time of stay but just make sure their system has been updated (for potential upgrades and other Plat benefits).
Point calculation shouldn't be an issue though.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For the actual stay, status matters when you are at the hotel. If trying to snag something during booking only available to a Platinum then status matters at booking. Can't remember if IHG has special inventory for Platinum/Spire only like Hilton does which you would not see at booking unless you had the status.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 11:24 am

deleted

Last edited by markle; May 25, 2023 at 7:13 am
Old Sep 5, 2017, 8:07 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver - IHG Spire AMB - Hilton Gold - Choice Hotels Platinum - Hertz Gold FiveStar
Originally Posted by markle
Out of interest, how do you do this? A call to the contact centre? Or just check at the front desk when you check-in?
Just email the hotel prior to your stay or give them a call once your status changes to Plat. Maybe even request an upgrade at that time. Done this many time with emails a week or so before and they have been very responsive and helpful often modifying the reservation in advance with room upgrades.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 8:49 am

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
I'd wait until my status is changed on the IHG.com website -- and then contact the hotel and ask them to confirm that they see you as Platinum.
Don't set your expectations very high, however. At many hotels, Platinum gives you very little.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 6:21 am

deleted

Last edited by markle; May 25, 2023 at 7:12 am
Old Sep 7, 2017, 4:44 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS (21),QF G, NZ E, IHG D Amb, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Shangri-La Jade, Accor Plat, Hertz P
In my case it's a shift from Plat Amb to Spire Amb, thinking specifically about a stay at an IC. So somewhat higher expectations are justified
Not really, Plat and Spire are irrelevant at ICs.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
The only booking vs. stay issues I've run across have been that stays booked prior to receiving an IHG credit card don't qualify for the 10% rebate. Also, some Accelerate tasks require booking during promo period itself, such as point redemption and charging your stay with IHG card (prepaid before promo period no good).
Old Sep 8, 2017, 2:14 am

deleted

Last edited by markle; May 25, 2023 at 7:12 am
Old Sep 8, 2017, 3:07 am

Programs: SQ TPPS (21),QF G, NZ E, IHG D Amb, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Shangri-La Jade, Accor Plat, Hertz P
Ehh. You say that - think it's a case of YMMV. I stay quite frequently at the IC Madrid and the quality of upgrades has been much better since I became plat. Even got to stay in their completely-over-the-top presidential suite for two nights as a 'congratulations' for becoming Plat.
Frequent stays at any hotel will make a difference, regardless of membership status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.