Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 8, 2017, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beachmouse
Another quarter, another Accelerate. Answers to some Frequently Asked Questions below:

For newcomers to IHG promotions, note that Holiday Inn Express and Holiday Inn (including Holiday Inn Resorts) are two different brand categories for these things. If your dashboard says 'stay at a Holiday Inn Express' as one of the tasks and you stay at a Holiday Inn, it will NOT credit for the Holiday Inn Express task. (and vice versa)

An award stay only counts toward a task that specifically requires an award stay and will not count toward other tasks and night requirements for the purposes of the promotion. (Award stays do count toward general elite qualification, but that's outside this promotion)

At IHG, points + cash stays are simply points stays where you bought some of the points at the time of the reservation. Once you finish the reservation, a points + cash stay shows as a points stay. Thus points + cash stays only count for tasks where they are specified, and not other tasks.

Doing a points + cash booking and then cancelling it does NOT trigger a 'buy points' task completion. A 'buy points' task is a points transaction that is processed through points.com

The 'pay with your IHG credit card' task has typically been very slow to post. If it does within about two weeks of completing a stay, that's relatively quick, and it will often be several weeks beyond that, depending on when your statement closing date is and how IHG's system sweep is timed.

Some offers require booking within the promotion period in addition to staying during the promotion period.

Registration & dashboard link:

https://www.ihg.com/content/us/en/offers/q3accelerate2017
Print Wikipost

IHG Accelerate Q3 2017 (1st September to 31st December)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2017, 3:59 am

Programs: MileagePlus Premier Silver, IHG Spire Elite, HHonors Silver, RapidRewards
Originally Posted by shocky
For the "Stay for less" do a stay actually needs to happen or is using point+cash enough to trigger the activity?
Points+Cash are NEVER considered a paid stay. IHG sees them as this:

1. You buy points for $X.
2. You then immediately redeem them + more points from your account balance towards a stay.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 5:07 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
My two night Oct stay posted to my IHG account in early Nov; meanwhile, the Oct bonus has disappeared from my dashboard!
The Oct bonus has also disappeared from my dashboard. Still seeing updates for the percentages on the tasks, but the individual stay entries under each task haven't updated for weeks. Hope they get this straightened out soon.

--Jon
Old Nov 7, 2017, 9:30 am

Programs: BAEC, Flying Club, HHonors, Gold Passport, IHG Rewards, Le Club Accor, Club Carlson
Could anyone confirm if my coporate booking (I work for the employer in question) will work for accelerate? I ask as I only need two nights to complete my Q3 task and this will take me over the line. If not I will do a mattress run as the final two night will net me 27000 points.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by TheWiseOne
Could anyone confirm if my coporate booking (I work for the employer in question) will work for accelerate? I ask as I only need two nights to complete my Q3 task and this will take me over the line. If not I will do a mattress run as the final two night will net me 27000 points.
Do your corporate bookings post as valid stays with IHG? Mine (made with corporate travel system) do, and and they count for this promo.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 11:10 am

Will using American airlines IATA number invalidate my stays for Accelerate?

Went through AA's portal and noticed it automatically drops in an IATA number into the IHG booking. Prices seem the same. I know AA wants credit for the shopping portal purchase. But the IHG site references IATA as "travel agency codes" which are excluded under the T&Cs of the promo.

Booking directly off the IHG website with the IATA. Not through a third party like expedia.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 11:37 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by maxp0wers
Will using American airlines IATA number invalidate my stays for Accelerate?

Went through AA's portal and noticed it automatically drops in an IATA number into the IHG booking. Prices seem the same. I know AA wants credit for the shopping portal purchase. But the IHG site references IATA as "travel agency codes" which are excluded under the T&Cs of the promo.

Booking directly off the IHG website with the IATA. Not through a third party like expedia.
It will not invalidate your stay credits for tasks in Accelerate. I use a cash back portal, such as MrRebates or Ebates which generates and IATA #, all the time and I never have a problem.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 12:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Gold, Virgin FC Red
Originally Posted by travellingtechie
Now this is strange! Looking at my points statement I have received 1500 points for using the IHG card (UK) as part of accelerate. Yet this task hasn't "ticked off" my dashboard!

The CC spend task needs to complete on the dashboard for me to get the 6/7 tasks bonus as I am not going to get the 7th.
Exactly the same issue here. Hoping this has time to resolve itself or is inconsequential to actually getting the bonus!
Old Nov 8, 2017, 1:09 pm

My credit card task hasn't updated either.
I rang ihg and they are looking into it!!

Originally Posted by essexadventurer
Exactly the same issue here. Hoping this has time to resolve itself or is inconsequential to actually getting the bonus!
Old Nov 8, 2017, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I had the final necessary task fail to credit during a previous Accelerate. The IHG rep was very clear that he could see that this task would have triggered the Accelerate bonus itself, so he posted the points I would have received for the qualifying task and the completion bonus both.
essexadventurer likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 3:55 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by CalItalian
It will not invalidate your stay credits for tasks in Accelerate. I use a cash back portal, such as MrRebates or Ebates which generates and IATA #, all the time and I never have a problem.
While there are occasional glitches in the system, 99.5% of the time, the rule of thumb is that if you click through a portal and get to the actual IHG web site to do your booking, all things loyalty point related with IHG will credit like they would if you just go straight to IHG.com. Using the OTA's own interface (ie. booking from a booking.com page) to create a booking is where you don't get credit with IHG for the stay.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 4:21 pm

thanks guys...I came to the same conclusion that it shouldn't be a problem.

However, I still opted not to risk it and not use the portal this time. It was a potential 81,000 IHG points gamble! 600 AA points didn't seem like it was worth jeopardizing it for.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by FonzieBone
Points+Cash are NEVER considered a paid stay. IHG sees them as this:

1. You buy points for $X.
2. You then immediately redeem them + more points from your account balance towards a stay.
That doesn't really answer the question....

FWIW I tried booking a dummy points and cash reservation to trigger the "Stay for less" task. Almost two weeks later, and it still hasn't credited. I can always rebook another stay in December for p&c, so I'll wait a little while longer to see if it works. I accidentally missed the p&c discount that worked for stays through December, so I booked using the other promotion that worked for stays until end of November.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 1:20 am

Programs: BA exec club, Flying Blue, VFC, IHG Rewards, EasyJet Plus
Originally Posted by shocky
For the "Stay for less" do a stay actually needs to happen or is using point+cash enough to trigger the activity?
Originally Posted by Antipode
That doesn't really answer the question....

FWIW I tried booking a dummy points and cash reservation to trigger the "Stay for less" task. Almost two weeks later, and it still hasn't credited. I can always rebook another stay in December for p&c, so I'll wait a little while longer to see if it works. I accidentally missed the p&c discount that worked for stays through December, so I booked using the other promotion that worked for stays until end of November.
The "Stay for Less" task - you will have to stay. It's not like the "redeem points" task where you could redeem, and then cancel.

In fact the "stay for less" task is the only time a stay on points actually counts for accelerate, although of course it won't also count for your "Stay xx nights" if you have one.

Last edited by travellingtechie; Nov 9, 2017 at 1:22 am Reason: added a quote to make it clearer
Old Nov 9, 2017, 1:43 am

Programs: BAEC, Flying Club, HHonors, Gold Passport, IHG Rewards, Le Club Accor, Club Carlson
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Do your corporate bookings post as valid stays with IHG? Mine (made with corporate travel system) do, and and they count for this promo.

I do not know as this is the first time I have had the opportunity to use it. For reference, it is the GE code.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 1:58 am

Programs: Miles and frowns, IHG aluminum
Where exactly can I find info on what counts for a hotel in X city? I see a list of hotels for the NYC bonus, but not for the Boston, Chicago, Washington DC, Los Angeles, Orlando or San Francisco one. In this case it's an airport hotel, but a good 20-30 miles away from downtown.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.