Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 8, 2017, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beachmouse
Another quarter, another Accelerate. Answers to some Frequently Asked Questions below:

For newcomers to IHG promotions, note that Holiday Inn Express and Holiday Inn (including Holiday Inn Resorts) are two different brand categories for these things. If your dashboard says 'stay at a Holiday Inn Express' as one of the tasks and you stay at a Holiday Inn, it will NOT credit for the Holiday Inn Express task. (and vice versa)

An award stay only counts toward a task that specifically requires an award stay and will not count toward other tasks and night requirements for the purposes of the promotion. (Award stays do count toward general elite qualification, but that's outside this promotion)

At IHG, points + cash stays are simply points stays where you bought some of the points at the time of the reservation. Once you finish the reservation, a points + cash stay shows as a points stay. Thus points + cash stays only count for tasks where they are specified, and not other tasks.

Doing a points + cash booking and then cancelling it does NOT trigger a 'buy points' task completion. A 'buy points' task is a points transaction that is processed through points.com

The 'pay with your IHG credit card' task has typically been very slow to post. If it does within about two weeks of completing a stay, that's relatively quick, and it will often be several weeks beyond that, depending on when your statement closing date is and how IHG's system sweep is timed.

Some offers require booking within the promotion period in addition to staying during the promotion period.

Registration & dashboard link:

https://www.ihg.com/content/us/en/offers/q3accelerate2017
Print Wikipost

IHG Accelerate Q3 2017 (1st September to 31st December)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2017, 11:00 am

Programs: IHG Rewards Club Spire Elite, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by roydonaldson
Hi there,

One of my Accelerate challenges is to stay 14 nights. In fact I have a single 14 nights stay, but using points as Reward nights coming up.

Will these nights count as 'stays' for Accelerate ?

And these are over a Fri/Sat as well, will that also go towards my Accelerate stay a weekend chllenge ?

Thanks,
Roy.
Unfortunately not as they're not qualifying stays - they'll instead post as "Reward night" - even though they do count towards your Elite Qualifying Nights balance.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 8:50 pm

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Hi I have the accelerate promotion:
Stay at 2 Holiday Inn Express® hotel(s) and earn 12,000 bonus points

it says qualifying stays... If I have a point award stay will it count? Will buying something at the front desk trigger it to count?

I will also have a actual paid stay in October and it would be nice if I can take advantage of the 12K bonus using a award stay.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 9:59 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RedElmo
Hi I have the accelerate promotion:
Stay at 2 Holiday Inn Express® hotel(s) and earn 12,000 bonus points

it says qualifying stays... If I have a point award stay will it count? Will buying something at the front desk trigger it to count?

I will also have a actual paid stay in October and it would be nice if I can take advantage of the 12K bonus using a award stay.
Qualifying stay means one that earns points, not uses points, and is clearly defined in the offer and the program terms.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 11:27 pm

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by markis10
Qualifying stay means one that earns points, not uses points, and is clearly defined in the offer and the program terms.
What it says and what actually happens sometimes differ. That's why I am asking if anyone knows where there maybe a way around it.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 4:54 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
Well there is an exception to the rules called "Stay For Less and Earn", which qualifies points & cash stays for Accelerate 2017 Q3:

"Earn 2,400 bonus points when you book 1 stay(s) using Points & Cash. We’ll reward you with bonus points when you use a combination of Points & Cash, allowing you to stretch your Reward Nights even farther.

Must be an IHG® Rewards Club member and must register your member number in advance to participate in this Offer ("Registration"). Number of bonus points listed above will be awarded after required number of “Points & Cash” Reward Nights have been redeemed/purchased and consumed by the member between 1 September 2017 and 31 December 2017 (both dates inclusive) at InterContinental®, Crowne Plaza®, Hotel Indigo®, Holiday Inn®, Holiday Inn Express®, Staybridge Suites®, Candlewood Suites®, EVEN® or HUALUXE® hotels worldwide (subject to availability determined by individual hotels). Points & Cash Reward Nights cannot be combined with any other offer. Subject to Points & Cash programme Terms and Conditions. IHG® Rewards Club "Points & Cash" is an option for obtaining a Reward Night. You may choose to redeem IHG® Rewards Club points for a Reward Night by using your existing points for all required points for the desired Reward Night or using your existing points and purchasing additional points in various increments to total the required points. The total purchase on any single day may not exceed $280USD. Points & Cash Reward Nights may only be redeemed online at www.ihgrewardsclub.com. Point purchase amounts are subject to change by IHG® Rewards Club. You must use a valid credit card for points purchase. Upon completion of the points purchase, you agree that the total dollar amount will be immediately charged to the credit card you specified. The cost for the points purchased is non-refundable. If the Reward Night is cancelled in accordance with Reward Nights terms and conditions and with each hotel's cancellation policy, the purchased IHG® Rewards Club points will be re-deposited into your IHG® Rewards Club account. Cash components of this award that are paid in currencies other than U.S. dollars will be adjusted by IHG® Rewards Club, as needed, to reflect the USD equivalent of the non-USD payment at that time. All other Reward Night terms and conditions apply. This Offer is subject to the General Promotion Terms and standard IHG® Rewards Club Membership Terms and Conditions and earning structure, which can be obtained by visiting www.ihgrewardsclub.com. Please allow 2 to 3 weeks for bonus points to be posted onto your account. IHG reserves the right to remove a member's bonus points or cancel a member’s account if fraudulent use of the Offer is detected. To the extent permitted by applicable law, IHG® Rewards Club reserves the right to cancel, suspend and/or modify the Promotion/Offer at any time with or without notice. To the extent permitted by applicable law, IHG reserves the right of final interpretation of this Offer.

© 2017 InterContinental Hotels Group, Three Ravinia Drive, Suite 100, Atlanta, Georgia 30346-2121 U.S.A. All rights reserved. Most hotels are independently owned and operated."

Last edited by Stealthmode; Sep 15, 2017 at 5:01 am
Old Sep 15, 2017, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by RedElmo
What it says and what actually happens sometimes differ. That's why I am asking if anyone knows where there maybe a way around it.
It never differs, qualifying nights has never included rewards nights in the history of IHG rewards and before that in priority club rewards. IHG have consistently treated reward stays as the lowest of the low, no benefits in many cases re status and so on.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 6:10 am

Programs: SQ S, IHG Diamond/Amb, Accor S
Originally Posted by markis10
It never differs, qualifying nights has never included rewards nights in the history of IHG rewards and before that in priority club rewards. IHG have consistently treated reward stays as the lowest of the low, no benefits in many cases re status and so on.
Well yes and no - reward nights are now treated as "Elite Qualifying Nights". That hasn't always been the case.

I already have 38 reward nights this year and have a few upcoming, so theoretically I could easily requalify for Platinum status without a single paid night.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 6:16 am
cln

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold
yes. Points Earned
4,000 of 79,800 points
Completed Offers
2 of 9
Old Sep 15, 2017, 9:50 am

Programs: BAEC GfL/GGL/CCR, BA Amex, Quidco, IHG Spire, Hotels.com Reinstated Gold)
Message deleted, question answered

Last edited by Omba; Sep 15, 2017 at 10:13 am
Old Sep 15, 2017, 10:45 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
I redeemed points for IHG ambassador around the end of August. Showed up as my "point redemption" offer for Q4 accelerate is already complete.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 10:55 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Stealthmode
Well there is an exception to the rules called "Stay For Less and Earn", which qualifies points & cash stays for Accelerate 2017 Q3:

"Earn 2,400 bonus points when you book 1 stay(s) using Points & Cash. We’ll reward you with bonus points when you use a combination of Points & Cash, allowing you to stretch your Reward Nights even farther.

Must be an IHG® Rewards Club member and must register your member number in advance to participate in this Offer ("Registration"). Number of bonus points listed above will be awarded after required number of “Points & Cash” Reward Nights have been redeemed/purchased and consumed by the member between 1 September 2017 and 31 December 2017 (both dates inclusive) at InterContinental®, Crowne Plaza®, Hotel Indigo®, Holiday Inn®, Holiday Inn Express®, Staybridge Suites®, Candlewood Suites®, EVEN® or HUALUXE® hotels worldwide (subject to availability determined by individual hotels). Points & Cash Reward Nights cannot be combined with any other offer. Subject to Points & Cash programme Terms and Conditions. IHG® Rewards Club "Points & Cash" is an option for obtaining a Reward Night. You may choose to redeem IHG® Rewards Club points for a Reward Night by using your existing points for all required points for the desired Reward Night or using your existing points and purchasing additional points in various increments to total the required points. The total purchase on any single day may not exceed $280USD. Points & Cash Reward Nights may only be redeemed online at www.ihgrewardsclub.com. Point purchase amounts are subject to change by IHG® Rewards Club. You must use a valid credit card for points purchase. Upon completion of the points purchase, you agree that the total dollar amount will be immediately charged to the credit card you specified. The cost for the points purchased is non-refundable. If the Reward Night is cancelled in accordance with Reward Nights terms and conditions and with each hotel's cancellation policy, the purchased IHG® Rewards Club points will be re-deposited into your IHG® Rewards Club account. Cash components of this award that are paid in currencies other than U.S. dollars will be adjusted by IHG® Rewards Club, as needed, to reflect the USD equivalent of the non-USD payment at that time. All other Reward Night terms and conditions apply. This Offer is subject to the General Promotion Terms and standard IHG® Rewards Club Membership Terms and Conditions and earning structure, which can be obtained by visiting www.ihgrewardsclub.com. Please allow 2 to 3 weeks for bonus points to be posted onto your account. IHG reserves the right to remove a member's bonus points or cancel a member’s account if fraudulent use of the Offer is detected. To the extent permitted by applicable law, IHG® Rewards Club reserves the right to cancel, suspend and/or modify the Promotion/Offer at any time with or without notice. To the extent permitted by applicable law, IHG reserves the right of final interpretation of this Offer.

© 2017 InterContinental Hotels Group, Three Ravinia Drive, Suite 100, Atlanta, Georgia 30346-2121 U.S.A. All rights reserved. Most hotels are independently owned and operated."
Which doesn't answer the OP's question unless that is one of the OP's challenges.

As was already answered, Reward Nights are non-qualifying stays except they do count towards your yearly EQN's.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by DuMaInSin
Well yes and no - reward nights are now treated as "Elite Qualifying Nights". That hasn't always been the case.

I already have 38 reward nights this year and have a few upcoming, so theoretically I could easily requalify for Platinum status without a single paid night.
We are talking about qualifying nights which earn points, be it directly or via a promo, not status accrual.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Got my stays too, and indeed, August 31-September 1st night counted towards both Q2 and Q3.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by martinrennard
Has anyone had anything post yet for the new "Q3" accelerate offer?

Nothing for me yet - not even

500 Registration Bonus
Register for Accelerate and earn 500 bonus points
I completed the "Points Purchased" task on Sept. 3 and my 1,000 Accelerate bonus points posted today.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by roydonaldson
One of my Accelerate challenges is to stay 14 nights. In fact I have a single 14 nights stay, but using points as Reward nights coming up.

Will these nights count as 'stays' for Accelerate ?

And these are over a Fri/Sat as well, will that also go towards my Accelerate stay a weekend challenge ?
The only Accelerate tasks for which reward nights count are those that spell out that you need to do a reward night stay. (Some people get such tasks, other people don't.) Reward nights do not count toward any other Accelerate tasks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.