Tel. +1-213-6887777

For reservations: [email protected]

Link to hotel:
https://www.ihg.com/intercontinental...hc/hoteldetail

Next tube / subway station:
7th Street / Metro Center served by all tram and metro lines

Pre-opening thread
Pre-Opening Thread

Lounge access (show to lounge agent - see this post)
Print Wikipost

IC Los Angeles Downtown Master Thread

Old Jul 5, 2017, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Just spent one night here as a convention-related staycation. Was upgraded as IHG Platinum from basic king to deluxe king, which meant that I had a very nice corner room overlooking downtown. Despite the fact that everyone is still learning the ropes, the service was still top-notch.

After entering the building, it is a very fast elevator to the lobby on floor 70, and then a transfer in a different elevator back to the room on 42. I did not get a chance to check out Spire 73, but the lobby and lobby bar offer a wonderful panoramic view of the city. They have an interesting drink menu, and the drink price is not bad considering the view and location. They also offer a number of dining options and even another bar on floor 69. As much as I like the newer IC in SF, this place is definitely a cut above. In addition to the views, the room was surprisingly spacious and comfortable.

The pool on floor 7 is equally impressive. I only had time to take some photos and walk around, but I really wish that I could have taken a dip. There are numerous cabanas, which is not really my scene. Fortunately, there were only two people at the time I visited, so it was not a 'scene.' I will definitely be back next time I can justify booking a hotel 25 miles from my house. There is a subway entrance to the 7th/Metro station directly across the street, so it is about as transit-friendly as you will get in LA. There are plenty of dining/shopping options within a few blocks, including the new Fig @ 7th complex. LA Live and the convention center are also within walking distance.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jimdarcy
Hello, can you check in and out of an IC location via the IHG app?
I did not see that option on the app. IHG seems to be lagging behind in that capacity. However, I was delighted to see that the 'check-out' feature on the TV in the room was working properly. It seems like this is a feature that has either been eliminated or is in a constant state of 'error status' in most hotels that I have stayed in.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 11:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador, AA Platinum, Avis Pres Club, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by downinit
I did not see that option on the app. IHG seems to be lagging behind in that capacity. However, I was delighted to see that the 'check-out' feature on the TV in the room was working properly. It seems like this is a feature that has either been eliminated or is in a constant state of 'error status' in most hotels that I have stayed in.
thanks for the feedback
Old Jul 10, 2017, 1:18 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold

Forgive the new thread. Only thread I could find was about hotel construction.

Want to warn you all of serious teething issues for this property.

1. No fitness center open. Not even close to being open. (9 months at least) Website says opposite.

2. No cost of parking posted anywhere. A bit of a black box.

3. Huge crowds of gawkers = makes it hard to maneuver in lobby.

4. No hot water in bathtub.

5. Each of our rooms had small maintenance issues.

6. Ice must be hand delivered. (A lot of drama.)

7. Many elevators go to nowhere. No explanation or signage yet.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 12:30 pm

I stayed over the weekend using one paid night and one free night cert. We were upgraded from a standard king room to a deluxe king room on the 45th floor and our welcome gift was a basket of fruit and a box of chocolates. However, we encountered a lot of similar issues to the previous poster.

* The hotel didn't link my two reservations despite calling ahead and asking them to
* Even after checking in, the receptionist told me that I'd have to visit the front desk the following day to receive new a new room card. When I questioned why, he appeared to have made a change.
* Upon returning to the hotel Saturday afternoon, the room card had still been deactivated. More frustratingly, after getting a new card, we discovered that that the room had not been serviced. I called housekeeping and asked if they could do a quick service while we went to the pool for an hour, but it still wasn't done when we returned.
* There didn't appear to be an Ambassador check-in area
* They crowds were pretty massive, and worse on Friday evening than Saturday, presumably due to post-work crowds
* After requesting a 4pm check-out, I was told that 2pm was the latest check-out I could get. After referencing my Welcome Letter with 4pm checkout as a listed Ambassador benefits, my request was approved.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 2:14 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by dgt2n

* The hotel didn't link my two reservations despite calling ahead and asking them to
* Even after checking in, the receptionist told me that I'd have to visit the front desk the following day to receive new a new room card. When I questioned why, he appeared to have made a change.
* Upon returning to the hotel Saturday afternoon, the room card had still been deactivated.
I failed to mention this because it was the LEAST of our issues, but this EXACT SAME sequence of events happened to us.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Exclamation

I recently spent one night at this hotel on a staycation (I live in Downtown LA) using my Chase annual free hotel night. Here are some of my random thoughts on this hotel:

The elevator situation is horrible. To get from your room to the street or the pool (and vice versa) you first have to go UP to the Lobby on the 70th floor. This gets tired very quickly. And the elevators can get very crowded. On Saturday night, I had to actually wait in line to get from the Lobby on the 70th floor to the street.

I was given a choice between 600 PC points or two drink coupons. I chose the drink coupons, but I was still given the 600 points anyway.

The pool area was not particularly pleasant; the pool is simply too small. Also, there is no shade, so you will be sitting in the exposed sun. Well actually maybe not, since there werent enough chairs to sit in. Maybe they do that as an incentive to rent a cabana for $250 per day.

With regard to the room, I have no Ambassador status, I am merely a Priority Club Platinum. I was told Id been upgraded from a Superior to a Deluxe room, however. There was nothing particularly deluxe about the room; it was frankly rather small. The windows were filthy. No toothbrushes in the bathroom. The bed and pillows were very nice though. If you are coming here to work, forget about it; the desk area was minuscule, and half of the work space was actually taken up by the television. The room felt very Ikea-like to me.

I cant comment on the Club Lounge, since I didnt have access to it.

The worst aspect of the room was the horrible street noise. I was on the 45th floor, and I may as well have been on the 1st floor, it was so loud. You will hear every police and fire truck siren (and in downtown LA, there are many). You will also hear the noise from the rooftop air conditioning units of the adjacent buildings. I could also hear a street performer playing his saxophone. Apparently, the windows arent double glazed, so bring earplugs!

Three positives: being a hotel guest gets you priority access to the outdoor cocktail lounge area on the 73rd floor; the two free drink coupons came in very handy, as the drink prices are outrageous up there. Another positive is the wifi speed; it was blazing fast. Finally, the service here is very good...all the employees seemed very friendly and professional.

All in all, this was a pretty mediocre experienceIm glad I didnt pay for it!
Old Sep 18, 2017, 10:18 pm

Labor day weekend DTLA

Had a very nice stay at this stunning new hotel. First night was a Chase free night from my wife's account (no status) next two using a BOGO booked at the Club King Location level on my account (Ambassador). They put us in a Club Suite on 61 for all three nights. Wonderful spacious corner room with great views. Ate at the steakhouse one night, very nice, visited Spire 73 several times, nice, spent a lot of money at the lobby bar, etc. Really enjoyed the hotel. Great french fries. The metro is right across the street. Check out Perch one stop away. Union Station and El Pueblo three. Fantastic spot to enjoy downtown LA. Didn't see my car again until we left Monday morning. No problems with the elevators...
Old Sep 19, 2017, 11:19 am

Recently stayed here with a chase free night. I have Spire Ambassador status and also let them know it was our anniversary. We were upgraded to a deluxe room before check-in. We showed up around 5PM to checkin the lobby was overflowing with people and there was no area for Ambassador or IHG status checkin. After waiting several minutes we got up to the desk and were told our room wasn't ready, which was pretty disappointing. After some back and forth they said they could put us in a ADA room which wouldn't have a bath. Whatever, we just wanted to check in so we took it.

The elevator layout is definitely a bit of a mess. The signage isn't very good and there's so many guest walking around clueless. I don't have any issues with going up to get to the Lobby and then taking another elevator for the rooms, we did this in a few hotels in Tokyo without issue, but it just was not implemented well here. Coming back to the hotel after dinner there were masses of people trying to get to the rooftop hotel, just a long line of people waiting in the lobby to take the elevator up to the roof, it was a mess. Of course if you have a hotel key you can go up to the front of the line. We went up there and ended up just taking in the magnificent views and going back to our room.

The room was large, with floor to ceiling windows and views for miles, it had a seating area with a small couch and chair, a desk, and mini bar area. The furniture and finishes already feel slightly dated and frankly very safe and boring. The shower temperature nozzle was backwards. But the room was comfortable, and the technology was good. Wifi was fast, and I was even able to stream from my netflix account on the tv. The electric shade console was by the thermostat, not sure why they didn't put one by the bed. We also received an amenity of a very nice fruit basket, and some chocolate and chocolate covered strawberries along with a nice happy anniversary note.

Overall it was a nice time but I'm not sure how happy I would have been if I stayed here with cash.

Last edited by beastieb; Sep 19, 2017 at 12:17 pm
Old Sep 28, 2017, 9:48 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Any recent experiences with this Hotel? Looking to book a stay next week, debating if it's worth paying to upgrade to the club level (~$50/night) or hope for an upgrade as an IHG Platinum.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 10:17 am

Programs: FB Plat, IHG RA Spire, TK Elite+, HH Diamond, LH SEN, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by hi55us
Any recent experiences with this Hotel? Looking to book a stay next week, debating if it's worth paying to upgrade to the club level (~$50/night) or hope for an upgrade as an IHG Platinum.
I haven't stayed but I am 99.9999% certain you will NOT get access to the club lounge as an IHG Platinum without paying for it.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 7:52 am

Programs: US CP
We stayed here on Sat night. Booked superior king on points and upgraded to deluxe king as Plat Amb. We really enjoyed our stay. Still don't see Ambassador check in desk. There was an ice machine near our room. Happy to have full AMB benefits on an award stay. We will return to the hotel when we are back in town.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 8:01 am

Stayed here about 2 weeks ago, absolutely amazing. Got upgraded to a corner room on the 41st floor - absolutely amazing views. The rooftop bar was a little tough to find, but absolutely worth it (and reasonable prices for drinks).

Loved the layout of the lobby and the elevators where easy enough to figure it out. My only problem was the little tablets in the elevator lobby had a hard time bringing you up to the sky lobby.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 5:30 am

Programs: PC RA, Hertz PC, (Flybe) Premier card, Tesco Platinum
Sorry for the cross-post, but interested in opinions of both patrons. I have a three night midweek stay planned for next month - should I go IC or Indigo?
Old Oct 23, 2017, 7:11 am

I have not stayed at the Indigo, but the IC is amazing. I would try it out if even just for one night.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.