Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bozeman, MT: Holiday Inn or Holiday Inn Express?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2017, 4:58 pm
Community Director Emerita
Original Poster

Bozeman, MT: Holiday Inn or Holiday Inn Express?

We are spending a couple nights in Bozeman, MT, one night at a time bracketing a trip to Yellowstone. There are two choices of Priority Club properties:
  • Holiday Inn, 30K points/night, #4 on TripAdvisor
  • Holiday Inn Express, 20K, #12 on TripAdvisor - comments on thin walls and stained carpets

My normal default is Holiday Inn Express but I wonder if the Holiday Inn is a better choice for this town. We need two rooms so it is 20K delta for us (10% of which is rebated due to the credit card).
Old Jul 6, 2017, 8:19 am

Programs: AA ExpMM, DL 2MM, IHG Spire/RA
I liked the Holiday Inn BZN last year...nice bar and restaurant on the property...very friendly. Large lobby. Pool for kids if that is helpful.

No free breakfast... if that is important for you then HIX...but I don't care for HIX brekkie myself.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 9:10 am

Stayed at the HIX Bozeman 2 years ago. Nothing wrong with it. A bit away from the centre (but I don't know where the HI is).

The HIX was kind enough to inform us a few days ahead that at the time their AC broke down. Wasn't an issue. But to me it shows they care by informing guests upfront.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
It has been a few years, but the HI was perfectly fine. Room was fine, bar/restaurant was good enough, and location was pretty good. The fact that I arrived on a 70+ degree afternoon and awoke to snow was priceless, although I suspect the HI Express also had this unpublished benefit.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 9:13 pm

I prefer HIX, myself... Just like the option of breakfast, even if it isn't always good. Save the points, get some orange juice for free in the morning. Grab an apple or orange or two for the day's events, and enjoy knowing you saved enough points for another night somewhere.

If there's anything else on the Bfast bar that's appetizing, you win.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 10:09 am

Programs: VS Gold, UA Silver, IHG Plat / Bonvoy Gold / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Disc, National+, GE / CLEAR
I go to Bozeman regularly (single Dad, kids live with their mom), every month, for the last 7 years. I've stayed at most of the hotels in town.

Holiday Inn: Great check in experience, giant pool, decent fitness room (in a loft above the pool, downside it tends to smell like chlorine from the pool). However the property could use updating, walls / carpets are a little worn. Internet is OK but not awesome (greater density of wifi hotspots would be a good idea). An issue I had with them at a stay months ago was immediately resolved by an Assistant Manager on duty early on a Saturday morning, no complaints. No free breakfast, only in the restaurant on-property, there's little else to walk to. If you're looking for Bozeman excursions, etc., this seems to be the hotel of the two to stay at; the lobby is littered with flyers and brochures for activities from local firms. This is a busy tourist hotel with a lot of out-of-towners with kids, a few stays I've been lightly awoken by kids crying / playing / being loud.

HIX: Much newer location, smaller pool, tiny fitness room, way better internet (stronger signal strength, maybe greater density of wifi hotspots). TVs are newer and (as I recall) easily accept external HDMI for streaming movies. Staff is fine but not exceptional. Breakfast / food is as expected for a HIX. Better lighting / newer carpet / upgraded amenities versus the HI. Parking seemed easier. More of a business traveler / serious student athlete hotel (so less noise late at night / early morning).

Location of the hotels, as long as you have a rental car, is about equal. I'd give easier parking to the HIX than the HI, which can get busy with families / RVs / trailers / Buses eating extra spots close to entry doors.

If you're planning on enjoying outdoorsy Bozeman, either property will suffice. I will give the HIX a few extra points on feeling and looking 'cleaner'. If you're generally staying inside (young kids?) and want to enjoy hotel amenities (pool, fitness, etc.), I'd probably push you towards the older HI, whose separate hot tub and giant pool are a hit with the kids. One warning: the HI pool gets DEEP so less-experienced-swimmer kids may need arm floaties. On that note; the local Target / Walmart / REIs tend to not stock pool gear routinely (my experience through eight seasons of traveling to BZN), so if POOL TIME is a big deal, make sure you bring your own stuff, you may not be able to find such things locally.

Enjoy Bozeman!
Old Jul 8, 2017, 10:16 am
Original Poster

neilah, thank you and thanks to those who responded earlier. This is a very comprehensive comparison of the two properties and is much appreciated.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 4:46 pm

Programs: 1MM UA
The Bozeman airport is in "Belgrade" and there is also a HIX in
Belgrade, two exits down the road. We flew in and out of
Bozeman for a Yellowstone/Grand Teton trip in May, and stayed
in HIX Bozeman the first night, and HIX Belgrade the night before
our flight back. They were both fine, with the one in Bozeman
being epsilon better.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sosafan
The Bozeman airport is in "Belgrade" and there is also a HIX in Belgrade, two exits down the road.
Thank you. I did not realize where Belgrade was. Does the hotel have shuttle service to the airport?
Old Jul 10, 2017, 6:19 pm

Programs: 1MM UA
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Thank you. I did not realize where Belgrade was. Does the hotel have shuttle service to the airport?
We didn't use the shuttle, but their web page says that they both do.
HIX Belgrade is 2 miles from the airport, HIX Bozeman is 7 miles.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sosafan
We didn't use the shuttle, but their web page says that they both do.
HIX Belgrade is 2 miles from the airport, HIX Bozeman is 7 miles.
Thank you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.