Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why I'm switching to IHG (after SPG dies)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2017, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by rbAA
Of course, no program is perfect. But if you believe that IHG operates only as an inconsistent, unreliable system where status is disregarded, then that is your reality. You're welcome to it.

"3rd tier cities" are necessary travel locations, too, but I wouldn't consider South Orange County, California beach communities as such. Of course, there's no IC there for you. But then, getting to know the management at any brand of hotel always leads to better results whether its at the IC HK or a beach area HI. Maybe just being nice to a FD staff member checking you in will make the difference.
The whole point of decent status schemes is that you build a wider relationship with the chain not individual properties where you spend time. In the unfortunate event that work takes me to a third tier US city it would be a once in a lifetime experience not somewhere I would want to "build a relationship".

Maybe IHG Rewards works particularly well for a certain segment of the US market it certainly doesn't for me and most people I know. That said I don't live in the US or have to travel to third tier cities let alone God forbid redeem points in them.

I think any long term SPG plat looking for greener pastures in IHG land is going to be bitterly disappointed unless like me they can largely confine themselves to IC properties and hit RA.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 1:22 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles

I think any long term SPG plat looking for greener pastures in IHG land is going to be bitterly disappointed unless like me they can largely confine themselves to IC properties and hit RA.
*Glances in the direction of the nearby beach where the Fort Points option gets mediocre reviews for being tired and poorly operated. *

*Looks next door to the Four Points and sees the two years new Holiday Inn Resort and Hilton Garden Inn, both of which are seen as huge improvements over the Four Points, which doesn't even have its own lazy river pool like the other two do *

If you're only looking four star or better and are okay with a really awful footprint , Hyatt probably is the closest to SPG, even with the Whatevertheheck-ist changes they've made to their loyalty program in the past year.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 2:02 pm

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by beachmouse
*Looks next door to the Four Points and sees the two years new Holiday Inn Resort and Hilton Garden Inn, both of which are seen as huge improvements over the Four Points, which doesn't even have its own lazy river pool like the other two do *
Not exactly fair or meaningful to pick out one particular property, in what is just about the weakest brand in the entire SPG portfolio, and suggest that because it's not as good as a nearby brand-new HGI then this shows the SPG program as a whole to be poor.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 3:24 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Every program has its strong and weak properties, and even SPG has its share of weak ones.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beachmouse
Every program has its strong and weak properties, and even SPG has its share of weak ones.
Much less so than IHG I think
Old Jul 18, 2017, 6:49 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
The whole point of decent status schemes is that you build a wider relationship with the chain not individual properties where you spend time. In the unfortunate event that work takes me to a third tier US city it would be a once in a lifetime experience not somewhere I would want to "build a relationship".

Maybe IHG Rewards works particularly well for a certain segment of the US market it certainly doesn't for me and most people I know. That said I don't live in the US or have to travel to third tier cities let alone God forbid redeem points in them.

OK, I'll agree with most of this. However, like the airlines programs, some marketting geniuses decide that things are too good for the customers and that they don't need to offer as much, so they don't. Come the next financial upheaval, they may change. The rules change constantly, but the game remains the same. I don't have other people's money paying the way, so I need to evaluate the cost and benefits carefully.

It's only unfortunate that you don't treasure the opportunity to try new places and hone your people skills to get what you want. Building relationships can be a one-night-stand or something more long term. And, I wouldn't be saying anything disparging about US 3rd tier cities as you list MAN as one of your home bases. God forbid that I would ever have to go back there.

I can see that as an SPG PLT50 shifting to IHG does require a change of attitude. I didn't feel the need for the Your24 benefit of PLT75, since I would seldom use it, and when I did need it, the hotels I would use it at all told me no way, they're always too busy to accept it, i.e. Beijing, though I do have an upcoming stay in VIE at the Bristol where I'm arriving at 6am, so we'll see how they handle my early check in request since I've never stayed there before. I did the opposite: was IHG RA/Spire and started back up with SPG. I still do AMB/Spire, as since I've moved from China, where the IC's spoiled me (even the ones in the 3rd tier Chinese cities like Wuxi or Nantong where I lived,) the IC's are not as enticing nor as reasonably priced other places so no need for RA. Though I still enjoy staying at the IC SF and IC HK. Since I live in BKK, don't get into the IC BKK very often anymore.

And, that's my point, IHG is still one of the best price points out there, though with the combination of SPG and MR, I'm looking at some MR options as well that match IHG's advantage there. However, SPG/MR's consistency in providing benefits like breakfast or lounge access seldom overcomes the savings. Like I said, most of the time, even at the really posh properties, it's just eggs or snacks and drinks, and I don't drink that much anymore, (the punchline of course is "I don't drink much less either,") so the lounge drinks are worthless to me, though I did pay $13 for a drink at the Club at the Sheraton NY TS just recently, but their breakfast and lounge food offerings were really substandard. I've had better at HIX's. Definitely not worth it. I have paid, discounted prices, for breakfast or lounge access at IHG properties, where it's worthwhile. Many times, it's been comp'd for me, even on award stays, and not just at the so-called 3rd tier places.

SO, in summary, everyone is different and their choices are neither right nor wrong. Just different to suit their individual needs.

Last edited by rbAA; Jul 18, 2017 at 9:47 pm
Old Jul 19, 2017, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Why don't you just stay in the hotels you like Esther than having the tail wheels the dog. These silly hotel 'loyalty' programs aren't worth the effort people put into them.
That's your opinion. I believe the opposite is true.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK, I'll agree with most of this. However, like the airlines programs, some marketting geniuses decide that things are too good for the customers and that they don't need to offer as much, so they don't. Come the next financial upheaval, they may change. The rules change constantly, but the game remains the same. I don't have other people's money paying the way, so I need to evaluate the cost and benefits carefully.

It's only unfortunate that you don't treasure the opportunity to try new places and hone your people skills to get what you want. Building relationships can be a one-night-stand or something more long term. And, I wouldn't be saying anything disparging about US 3rd tier cities as you list MAN as one of your home bases. God forbid that I would ever have to go back there.

I can see that as an SPG PLT50 shifting to IHG does require a change of attitude. I didn't feel the need for the Your24 benefit of PLT75, since I would seldom use it, and when I did need it, the hotels I would use it at all told me no way, they're always too busy to accept it, i.e. Beijing, though I do have an upcoming stay in VIE at the Bristol where I'm arriving at 6am, so we'll see how they handle my early check in request since I've never stayed there before. I did the opposite: was IHG RA/Spire and started back up with SPG. I still do AMB/Spire, as since I've moved from China, where the IC's spoiled me (even the ones in the 3rd tier Chinese cities like Wuxi or Nantong where I lived,) the IC's are not as enticing nor as reasonably priced other places so no need for RA. Though I still enjoy staying at the IC SF and IC HK. Since I live in BKK, don't get into the IC BKK very often anymore.

And, that's my point, IHG is still one of the best price points out there, though with the combination of SPG and MR, I'm looking at some MR options as well that match IHG's advantage there. However, SPG/MR's consistency in providing benefits like breakfast or lounge access seldom overcomes the savings. Like I said, most of the time, even at the really posh properties, it's just eggs or snacks and drinks, and I don't drink that much anymore, (the punchline of course is "I don't drink much less either,") so the lounge drinks are worthless to me, though I did pay $13 for a drink at the Club at the Sheraton NY TS just recently, but their breakfast and lounge food offerings were really substandard. I've had better at HIX's. Definitely not worth it. I have paid, discounted prices, for breakfast or lounge access at IHG properties, where it's worthwhile. Many times, it's been comp'd for me, even on award stays, and not just at the so-called 3rd tier places.

SO, in summary, everyone is different and their choices are neither right nor wrong. Just different to suit their individual needs.
If price point is your main criterion then IHG will almost always win out it is a no brainer.

I truly believe that the vast majority of SPG Plat 50 + out there do not see price as the main criterion they look for total value which is ore than price it is total return for price paid be that room size, spec, service, facilities, lounge etc. etc.

Starwood and Marriott clearly win the value game for me. As I start to fall back upon LT Plat as more and more of my stays end up with Hilton (who play both the value and price game quite well I think). I requalified for Diamond by June and will probably end up north of 75 stays by year end at HH.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 7:03 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
If price point is your main criterion then IHG will almost always win out it is a no brainer.

I truly believe that the vast majority of SPG Plat 50 + out there do not see price as the main criterion they look for total value which is ore than price it is total return for price paid be that room size, spec, service, facilities, lounge etc. etc.

Starwood and Marriott clearly win the value game for me. As I start to fall back upon LT Plat as more and more of my stays end up with Hilton (who play both the value and price game quite well I think). I requalified for Diamond by June and will probably end up north of 75 stays by year end at HH.
Of course, the "price point" isn't just the base rate plus taxes and fees, it includes other factors that are important, which is where the difference in each person comes in. We value these things differently. How much is breakfast; what's the value of that bowl of fruit and a couple bottles of water; did you get a bottle of wine and was it actually drinkable, free soft drinks or free minibar. How is the in room coffee or the stuff the butler/room service brings when requested or can you just walk down to the lobby or breakfast room and carry it back. What's the quality of each. Are alternatives nearby as convenient, as I can usually shop for these things and get exactly what I want. Plus, I bring my own coffee-Starbucks Via Italian Roast is the current favorite, though we also have a Thai espresso instant that's pretty good. Of course, my son is more bummed out about me not retaining RA, as he loved to come over to the IC SF with his friends and polish off the minibar. Even that has a value. When I lived in China, the standard Spring Festival trip was 4 days at the IC Wuxi, and we wanted the 150 sqm suite with the enormous tub to soak in. So, as RA, I bought up to the appropriate category and let my contact there know when we were coming, as that was the thing that was important about that stay. (Since there's really nothing else to do in Wuxi.) Usually, I don't need a suite that size, though I won't pass up a free upgrade.

But each stay is different. Most of my trips, now, are 3 to 4 weeks, though the upcoming Sept trip is 6 weeks between Europe and the US, so I'm not about to eat hotel breakfasts that lack variety for those periods of time. I wish that we could make a large pot of our traditional Thai breakfast and package and freeze it to take it with us. But, we can usually arrange stays with family or friends (wait, no stay credit for those nights,) when we are on the road and they can enjoy my Thai GF's cooking.

And, IHG doesn't always win out. Like I said, I'm also SPG PLT50, and stay in a number of non-chain properties, especially when we are visiting her family in Surin. (There's a really nice place there-White Elephant Resort- with great Thai breakfasts made to order and brought over to our patio overlooking the gardens. Better than any club/lounge. Plus, only about US$25 per night. Use Hotels.com and get 4% cash back thru ebates.com plus the one free nt of average value of the ten nights stayed.) The upcoming time in Europe is 8 nts with SPG and 7 in non-chain properties including a couple nights on the lakes and 5 nts in pensiones between Florence and Venice.

Sometimes, it's better not to get so tied into the chain though I understand many people have certain places that work takes them or only so many nights. Variety is truly the spice.

Last edited by rbAA; Jul 19, 2017 at 8:19 pm
Old Aug 14, 2017, 8:00 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Marriott / SPG PLAT Premier, USELESS Accor Plus PLAT
Why I'm Deleting IHG Account

Very True.

As for me, I will delete my IHG after more than 10 years as Platinum and focus only on SPG, Marriott and even the not so good Accor. My stays are primarily in Asia (China, Thailand, Malaysia, Hong Kong).

For me, I had my fair share of good time with IHG. Used to have good PB (such as staying in Crown Plaza with Club Lounge acess and suite upgrade for up to 3-4 weeks etc) but the PB the last 2 years were rubbish.

IHG is only good for hoarding points. And it seems like it's getting difficult to redeem using points sometimes 2 weeks in advance for my stays. Even upgrades were getting fewer and benefits were almost non-existent. No more Complimentary Club Lounge for Crown Plaza or Holiday Inn etc these days.

As I value Complimentary Club Lounge Access, I will focus on Accor, Marriott and Starwood which provide Complimentary Club Lounge Access to Platinum members. IHG doesn't provide guaranteed Club Lounge Access for top tier members (it depends on each hotel's policy and their staff's mood of that day).

I rather take my money elsewhere.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by happygolucky_nomad
As I value Complimentary Club Lounge Access, I will focus on Accor, Marriott and Starwood which provide Complimentary Club Lounge Access to Platinum members. IHG doesn't provide guaranteed Club Lounge Access for top tier members (it depends on each hotel's policy and their staff's mood of that day).
Actually, I find that it depends more on your people and negotiating skills.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 8:39 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Actually, I find that it depends more on your people and negotiating skills.
I'm sure we've had this discussion before but the point is that at top-tier level you shouldn't constantly need to prove how good you are at swinging upgrades. The idea that you only deserve upgrades or benefits if you're good enough at sweet-talking the FD staff is bogus.

Not everyone speaks English as a first language and is skilled at finding the right phrases to butter up the FD clerk. You might also be jet-lagged, exhausted and just want to get the check-in over and done with as quickly as possible, rather than launching into a battle royale over securing privileges.

Sure, some people might enjoy seeing if they have the skills of a latter-day Frank Abagnale but most of us just have lives to live and prefer to get the benefits without begging or proving how smart or deserving we are.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by yurtripper
I'm sure we've had this discussion before but the point is that at top-tier level you shouldn't constantly need to prove how good you are at swinging upgrades. The idea that you only deserve upgrades or benefits if you're good enough at sweet-talking the FD staff is bogus.

Not everyone speaks English as a first language and is skilled at finding the right phrases to butter up the FD clerk. You might also be jet-lagged, exhausted and just want to get the check-in over and done with as quickly as possible, rather than launching into a battle royale over securing privileges.

Sure, some people might enjoy seeing if they have the skills of a latter-day Frank Abagnale but most of us just have lives to live and prefer to get the benefits without begging or proving how smart or deserving we are.
Yes we have, so it's pretty well known what the UPG policy for IHG is...basically, no guarantees. Checking your res details before the stay is helpful as it might provide information about any pre-arrival UPG plus gives you an opportunity to check on available options, as well as any price reductions.

And, approaching this relationship as a "battle" is clearly the negative attitude that seldom works. Being informed as well as nice pays off, rather than some passive approach.

Last edited by rbAA; Aug 16, 2017 at 2:02 pm
Old Aug 17, 2017, 1:05 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Marriott / SPG PLAT Premier, USELESS Accor Plus PLAT
Originally Posted by yurtripper

Very Well Said. Especially if you are staying in hotels around 200 to 300 nights a night with multiple checking in/checking out on a weekly basis for many years, this constant begging becomes a frustration. I rather reserve my energy for something else.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 4:54 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
I've spent the past few years on Hhonors. Mostly because I travel to a lot of "small cities" and have to keep the hotel price reasonable for my employer. What a waste of time that was. I've moved to IHG, and have been pretty happy. I'm not one that needs to be pampered when I go somewhere. I want value and extra money in my pocket. Between the IHG credit card, and their accelerate promo, I just booked a 4 night stay in a Staybridge suite. It's very nice to be able to stay at mid-range properties and having the ability to choose many different tiers of reward nights for your stays. They have been very flexible.

I don't get lots of hate of the Ambassador program. It is 32,000 points which is generally cheaper than most IC stays, which of course, comes with it. It is a great option if you want to be pampered.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.