Community
Wiki Posts
Search

cancelled award nights points return

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2017, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA explat,Adm Club,Priority Club, and all nonsense in my comic book mind.
cancelled award nights points return

typically how long does it take for points to be returned when cancelling award nights.. and does it happen automatically or do you need to submit to customer service?
Old May 6, 2017, 8:21 pm

Programs: US, HH
Immediately, automatic.
Old May 6, 2017, 8:29 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Originally Posted by retirementdreams
typically how long does it take for points to be returned when cancelling award nights.. and does it happen automatically or do you need to submit to customer service?
99 times out of 100 it is instant. I have had on rare occasions them take a few days to post back. But it is always automatic
Old May 6, 2017, 11:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA explat,Adm Club,Priority Club, and all nonsense in my comic book mind.
Thank you all....i had been at a hotel in europe on points and needed to cancel my last 2 days...they made a big deal out of it and said i. Had to call the us and talk to them whatever.
I needed to make a booking and didnt have enough points, but did cancel something else and you are correct...the points posted pretty quickly
Old May 7, 2017, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by retirementdreams

they'll be back where they belong before you've opened your account to check. Automatic and instantaneous.
Old May 7, 2017, 2:03 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
they'll be back where they belong before you've opened your account to check. Automatic and instantaneous.
Point cancellations done during weekends have in the past not been processed until Mondays US time.
Old May 11, 2017, 3:19 am

Programs: Some, not all.
Cancelled a booking a few hours ago and the points have not been returned. This is a first for me.

I'll give it a day or two before chasing.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 7:40 am

I just cancelled a points stay, more than 24 hours before the cancellation deadline, and points haven't been refunded. Indeed, this is the first time they haven't immediately gone back into my account. I forwarded my cancellation email to the IHG rewards club, so we'll see what they say.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by 21H21J
Cancelled a booking a few hours ago and the points have not been returned. This is a first for me.

I'll give it a day or two before chasing.
How long did it take for your points to appear?
Old Jun 8, 2017, 7:44 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Typically return is immediate. I have occasionally had it take up to 2 days.

--Jon
Old Jun 8, 2017, 10:57 am

Always immediate for me.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 12:13 am

Originally Posted by camsean
Always immediate for me.
Well, the points still haven't returned. This is the first time it hasn't been immediate. Reply from customer service was just the we will respond in 48 hours form reply. No other response yet.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 10:19 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Lyssa
I just cancelled a points stay, more than 24 hours before the cancellation deadline, and points haven't been refunded. Indeed, this is the first time they haven't immediately gone back into my account. I forwarded my cancellation email to the IHG rewards club, so we'll see what they say.
Also check your reservation cancel t+c text. It could be your award night is not cancelable so no points are due back (ie you can cancel but like paid non cancel you lose the payment!)

Award nights are not always refundable when hotel adds more strict cancel terms due to special events or special days.

Too many guests simply assume (in stead of checking/reading t+c during booking process) both Flex and Award nights at all chains (IHG, HH, MR etc) are flex cancel untill just before a stay, then find they are not.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 12:54 am

Originally Posted by scubaccr
Also check your reservation cancel t+c text. It could be your award night is not cancelable so no points are due back (ie you can cancel but like paid non cancel you lose the payment!)

Award nights are not always refundable when hotel adds more strict cancel terms due to special events or special days.

Too many guests simply assume (in stead of checking/reading t+c during booking process) both Flex and Award nights at all chains (IHG, HH, MR etc) are flex cancel untill just before a stay, then find they are not.
Thanks, I always check before making a booking and again before cancelling, but I know some people don't. This was a pointbreaks stay that I wasn't 100% sure would work, so I was extra careful on it. I really wanted to go, but the circumstances just didn't allow it.

Points were manually credited back to my account, per the email response I got from customer service. It took 2 days. I have no idea why this one didn't go back automatically, I guess it was a fluke thing. At least it got sorted out!

Last edited by Lyssa; Jun 12, 2017 at 1:11 am
Old Jun 12, 2017, 11:00 pm

Programs: Some, not all.
Originally Posted by Lyssa
How long did it take for your points to appear?
I had to email IHG a couple of times to get the points back.

I had cancelled and rebooked a couple of time to take advantage of increasing cashback rates, and IHG were saying that the points has already been refunded on a date before the cancellation!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.