Best European IC hotels for reward stay?

Old May 4, 2017, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Best European IC hotels for reward stay?

Where would you stay in Europe if you were looking to optimize value for a free night certificate and points redemption?

After reading through a few threads related to this subject, it seems like there are a few challenges: some of the previous top-tier options have left IHG (Berchtesgaden, Helsinki Strand, Rome De La Ville), while others seem to put reward stays in so-so rooms (Le Grand Paris). I've come up with this short-list, where I've tried to guess at a ranking by overall quality of the hotel (room, property, restaurant, amenities). I've excluded London options, as that's where I'm based, but I'm open to recommendations for the O2 and Park Lane.

* IC Amstel
Lots of positive reviews

* IC Marseille
Alcyone restaurant has a Michelin star

* IC Berlin

* IC Le Grand Paris
Although the standard reward rooms are reported as small, there seem to be plenty of countervailing qualities

What do you all think? Have I missed any 'must-consider' options?
Old May 4, 2017, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Berlin is generally so cheap that a point redemption does not make too much sense.
Old May 4, 2017, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by CasaDeTony
some of the previous top-tier options have left IHG (Berchtesgaden, Helsinki Strand, Rome De La Ville).
I am not quite sure that the Strand, a Luxury Collection, has ever been member of InterContinental hotels (you certainly make a confusion with Stockholm Grand Hôtel). The former IC in Helsinki is now the Scandic Park hotel).

Coming back to your question, it very depends on what you are looking for (hotel by the sea, city hotel, etc) and your status.

IC Estoril is a very nice recently opened property by the sea
IC Lisbon is a solid city hotel with great staff (former Le Méridien).
IC Davos is a good substitute to IC Berchtesgaden.

Marseille and Porte are both very nice historical properties.

IC Vienna, IC Berlin, IC Düsseldorf and IC Dublin are very good in terms of service.

O2 is a very good product but with no so convenient location, when Park Lane is not great with no status but has a very central location.

IC Carlton and Amstel are true gems if you ard RA.
Old May 4, 2017, 12:48 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, ALL Silver,, Miles&More
Carlton in summer is most expensive and exciting. I recommend it, RA or not. Not upgraded rooms (maybe you should buy Ambassador status before to at least get a one category upgrade) are usually dated and no sea view, but I always felt very well in the hotel and location whatever room I got.
Old May 5, 2017, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Hello, Nicolas. I agree generally with your suggestions.

Originally Posted by nicolas75
I am not quite sure that the Strand, a Luxury Collection, has ever been member of InterContinental hotels (you certainly make a confusion with Stockholm Grand Hôtel). The former IC in Helsinki is now the Scandic Park hotel).
Just for info, the Strand was indeed an Intercontinental for a while. Here is a post of mine in the Hilton forum from 2004:
Originally Posted by Roger
You could try a search for 'Helsinki' in the InterContinental forum - be aware there were two Intercontis, one became the Hilton Strand, the other became the Continental - both following Hilton's purchase of the Scandic group.

I stayed twice as an I-C Ambassador and enjoyed being upgraded both times.
Old May 5, 2017, 9:27 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat (+LTP), VS Silver
I'd suggest Bordeaux - I had some points to burn and had an excellent stay.
Old May 7, 2017, 3:28 am

Programs: IHG Spire HHonors Diamond CC Gold
I would also recommend IC Bordeaux.

We had a reward stay for 4 nights last September and were upgraded to a 1 bed suite for the duration ( I was Plat at that time with no Ambassador status ) so was delighted !

The hotel is also right in the heart of the city and Bordeaux is a lovely city to visit.
Old May 9, 2017, 5:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Thank you everyone for the great recommendations

I've added Bordeaux, Carlton, Davos, and Estoril to my wishlist, and will probably pay for an Ambassador membership to improve our stay.

Now for the other fun part of travel planning - finding the right flights!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.