Brugge / Bruges / Brügge

Address
Crowne Plaza Brugge
Burg 10,
8000 Brugge, Belgium

Tel +32 50 446844

Link to hotel
www.ihg.com/crowneplaza/hotels/gb/en/brugge/ostbe/hoteldetail

Located in the heart of Brugge, close to Stadhuis (City Hall) and Markt. Parking is given the historic building a bit problematic. About €7.50 by taxi from the railroad station, almost impossible to walk with wheeled luggage due to uneven cobbling.
Print Wikipost

Crowne Plaza Brugge / Bruges (Master Thread)

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2008, 11:46 pm
Original Poster

Crowne Plaza Brugge / Bruges (Master Thread)

Just wanted to share my experience at this hotel.
It was a very pleasant surprise!
I got upgraded to a suite facing the Burg, on the corner above
the hotel front door. The location is absolutely amazing,
the best in Brugge. There is an underground parking, very good breakfast.
Everybody was very nice and the service was great (not common in Europe).
The room was very clean and very large. VEry highly recommend it
to anybody visiting this beautiful town.
One thing - it's kind of hard to drive in Brugge, many streets are one way
and the hotel being right in the heart of it is difficult to get to.
Just follow the driving directions, but be careful.
Old May 18, 2008, 7:49 am

Programs: DL 1MM, UA 1K, PC Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Marrott Silver
I would second this! I stayed there two weeks ago and must have had an equivalent room. Great view. Nice hotel. Right in the city center of one of the most beautiful little cities in Europe.
Old May 18, 2008, 8:28 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, PriorityClub Platinum, SPG Platinum
I was thinking of staying there next week as both HI's in Gent (Expo & Express) were sold out. The only thing which stopped me was the internet - it said WIFI all over and dial-up in the rooms. WIFI can be spotty at times in rooms, and without wired HSI, I can be pretty handicapped. Use Skype/Vonage/Cisco IP phone to keep in touch with family/co-workers. Also, I think did not show up as a Boingo hotspot. Did any of you use the internet?

Was able to call PC and get into Gent Expo using the Platinum 72 hour guarantee. Much pleased..as other co-workers have to stay in 3 diff hotels on 3 diff nights in 2 diff cities.

Originally Posted by youngbru
I would second this! I stayed there two weeks ago and must have had an equivalent room. Great view. Nice hotel. Right in the city center of one of the most beautiful little cities in Europe.
Old May 20, 2008, 7:19 am

Programs: DL 1MM, UA 1K, PC Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Marrott Silver
Yes, I used the internet in the Brugge CP without any problems (other than I could not connect to my SMTP mail server to send mail from my personal account so I had to use the webmail interface). It was 10 Euro per day for the wireless access in both rooms and common areas (at least I think it was wireless).
Old Nov 9, 2008, 2:27 pm

CP Brugge on 2-4-1

So, spent the weekend there. I paid 80 euros Incl tax per night, room only.
Skipped the brekkie (22E) but the hotel automatically adds it to the bill and you have to get it removed on checkout-policy!!!!

Got upgraded to a medieval junior suite- lovely room!!!

No club room, a pool, no jacuzzi
NO business centre.

A great hotel but limited facilites- gr8 location!!
Old Nov 10, 2008, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Big_Foot
the service was great (not common in Europe)
This is a very well known fact proved by many studies: CP Bruges is the only place in whole Europe when you can have a good service
Old Jan 9, 2009, 7:03 am
MIM

CP Brugge - any tips

Got a weekend at the CP Brugge next month.

Has anyone who has stayed there got any tips/observations?

Specifically, how far is it from the train station? We don't want to be trudging miles with bags, but equally don't want one of those embarassingly short taxi rides where the driver basically crosses the road then asks for a tenner.

Cheers

MIM
Old Jan 9, 2009, 4:50 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat (+LTP), VS Silver
Good hotel in an excellent location - especially if you are lucky with upgrades; I've had both a nice suite and smallish room.

The station is on the ring road, probably a mile or so from the hotel. I wouldn't think it was too easy to walk with bags, but I haven't tried.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 8:39 am

Programs: HH Diamond
DH and I visited Brugge year and a half ago and loved it! We didn't stay at the Crowne Plaza but we did visit their basement - they have a display of frescoes and other items found when they excavated for the hotel. It's a fantastic location, just across from Burg Square.

City Hall is practically a museum itself - complete with audio guides. And don't miss the Renaisance Hall fireplace (I think it's included as part of the City Hall tour).

Brugge is a great walking city but I would definitely take a taxi from the station to the hotel and back - cobblestones and wheeled luggage are not a good thing, even if you love walking!

If you're into art, the Groeninge museum is spectacular. Everything, including a few canals, are a short walking distance for you so you should love the place.

We were a short distance from the Crowne Plaza - remember "In Bruges" - it was the same hotel Colin Ferrell stayed at in the film (Relais Bourgandisch Cruyce). In fact, if you haven't seen it, the film uses most of the locations right around that area so seeing it was a walk down memory lane.

Have a great time.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 1:47 pm

Programs: LH, HH, PC
CP Brugge (Bruges / Belgium)

I stayed at the CP Brugge on a pointbreaks rate. It's a very nice hotel right in the centre of the beautiful historic old town of Brugge. We booked and got a Family room with two Queen beds. The room seemed to be renovated lately. It had a flat TV, minibar, safe (unfortunately not big enough for a laptop), coffee and tea making facilities and an air condition which worked fine in May/June. I'm not sure if it has enough power in the summer month.

Brugge doesn't have an airport. You can go there by car or train. If arriving by car, there is a large parking garage at the central station for a fee of 2,50 Euro/day. The hotel has it's own parking garage. Charge is 20 Euro/day.

From the central station it's a 20 minutes walk to the hotel. There are also buses going to the stop "Brugge Markt", which is 200 metres to the hotel.

Wireless internet is 10 Euro/day right now but there will be installed a new form of internet supply in the first week of June.

The swimming pool is on the 8th floor, which is small but nice. There's also a sauna room, ~ 75° C, with the option to make a "Aufguss" (finnish: Löyly). When looking at the hotel building I'm still wondering where the 8 floors are located.

From the central bus station there are buses going to the beach locations, e.g. to the city of Blankenberge. It's only a 23 minutes ride. A day pass for all buses including the Kusttram is only 5 Euro if purchased at the ticket machine. Inside the bus it's 6 Euro.

Last edited by hann; Jun 3, 2009 at 2:04 pm Reason: Photo editing
Old Jun 8, 2009, 2:44 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
I've stayed here several times and it is a great hotel. The parking at the train station really is the best way to go. Trying to drive right to the hotel will get you lost for at least a half hour every time guaranteed. Park at the station and walk to the hotel, take the bus, or take a cab if you have baggage. The savings on parking will more than offset the cab fees.

And don't forget to check out the museum in the basement. It is very interesting.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just got back from a two night reward stay at this property using "point breaks". We booked two rooms, for myself and my husband as well as for my parents.

Communication by email with questions prior to the stay were dealt with quickly, politely and efficiently.

I have platinum status and we were quietly and casually given an unannounced upgrade for both of our rooms. We booked standard non-smoking Queen rooms and were given non-smoking King rooms on the top floor with views of Burg Square (701 & 703). We were very happy with this, particularly as we knew that the hotel was booked out as many of the staff associated with a Natalia concert were staying there. Complimentary water was issued in both rooms (alas, only on the first night) and I received a box of Belgian chocolates - which was also very much appreciated.

The A/C worked well and kept us comfortable during this very hot weekend. TV channels in English consisted of BBC1, BBC2, BBC3, BBC4, BBCWorld, CNNNews and Channel 5. (TVE was the only channel in Spanish)

WARNING FOR THOSE WITH MOBILITY PROBLEMS
There is elevator access to the 8th floor for those wanting to use the Gym, Sauna and Swimming Pool facilities. Unfortunately, access involves a further flight of stairs. I have problems with my sacroiliac joints (a common aliment for pregnant women) and walk with the aid of a stick, I was just able to manage these stairs.

Budget tip: Getting water in large quantities (essential in hot weather) is tricky and expensive in Brugge. There is a Carrefour Express at some distance from the Hotel and many local shops charge extortionate prices for large bottles. If you have the patience and a suitable receptacle (and minimal mobility problems) there is a water dispenser in the Gym where you can fill up a water bottle for free.

Last edited by LapLap; Jul 6, 2009 at 4:53 am
Old Jul 6, 2009, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Alternative breakfast location suggestion: http://www.lepainquotidien.be/liste_...ata=1041614316
An excellent Belgian patisserie/bakery/organic store chain with reasonable prices and a friendly atmosphere. MAP
(The pomme-framboise/apple-raspberry juice at 3Euros a litre made a delightfully refreshing drink when mixed 50/50 with sparkling water back in the hotel room)

Last edited by LapLap; Jul 7, 2009 at 3:08 am
Old Jul 6, 2009, 10:35 am

I'm heading here next week for a few nights with my wife and the in-laws. Has anyone arrived here by train? (Going by Eurostar)

Suggestions appear to be that the best way of getting to the hotel from the station is either bus or a taxi. There'll be four of us to I lean towards the latter, does anyone have experience with this? (ie are there plenty of taxis at the station?)
Old Jul 7, 2009, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jimthehorsegod
I'm heading here next week for a few nights with my wife and the in-laws. Has anyone arrived here by train? (Going by Eurostar)

Suggestions appear to be that the best way of getting to the hotel from the station is either bus or a taxi. There'll be four of us to I lean towards the latter, does anyone have experience with this? (ie are there plenty of taxis at the station?)
I arrived with Eurostar and then went onto the hotel by taxi with my parents. Our train arrived at Brugge at 10pm. My husband came on a later train and arrived at midnight, he walked to the Hotel and enjoyed it very much. Both my husband and I walked back to the station.

At Brussels Midi station just find the train to Brugge/Ostende in the adjacent Brussels Zuid station - there are large boards showing the departing trains at several points.

It will leave about 30 minutes after you arrive which leaves you with plenty of time to amble (it shouldn't take you more than 15 minutes to get from one platform to the next).

At Brugge station there are plenty of buses and taxis to the left as you get out. If you wanted to save about 3/4 Euros (so that the taxi fare is 8+ Euros instead of 11+ Euros) you could get out at Markt square. There are a couple of small streets that connect Markt to Burg - I'd recommend the Street at the North (Philipstock Straat rather than Breidel Straat which gets closed off when there's an event in Burg). Otherwise, the taxi will veer South at Markt and make a long detour in order to get through the one way streets and make it to the Crowne Plaza. The taxi fare adds up quickly and is more expensive than London or Tokyo.

The walk between the Hotel and Station is neither particularly long, arduous or unpleasant and takes about 20 minutes (or 30 minutes if like me you need a walking stick and need to take small steps) and you should pass some appealing bars and restaurants that seem well used by the locals. However, the journey is very noisy if you have a case with wheels to haul over the cobbles.

Budget tip for the Eurostar is to take your own tea/coffee/chocolate as you can request a cup of hot water for free on board. Just take the cups (which are sleeved and with lids) back to your seat and add the tea/coffee there. If there's four of you this will potentially save you £1.70 each (£6.80 each way). You can take the refreshments from the Hotel room on the way back.

The trains back to Brussels (remember it's Brussels South/Zuid you're heading for, not Brussels Central) leave at approximately 30 minutes past the hour and on the hour. The train may be extremely crowded if your trip back coincides with the time that Brussel residents are returning to the city from the beach, we were lucky to secure seats for our trip back, many didn't.

If you're returning on the Eurostar on a Sunday afternoon/evening, leave more time than the 30 minute minimum required as you will need to queue to enter the Eurostar terminal, queue again for passport control, queue again for the Xray machines and queue once more for UK border control... and then walk to your train carriage.
We had paper tickets that we knew wouldn't work/scan and queued to see a person at the first set of desks, then we were turned away and made to queue for the automated ticket machines under protest and then needed to come back to the original queue - all of which which took some time. And this was just the first hurdle. We barely made it on board.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.